TCG/Collectible Card Game Thread

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I saw that there was a Hearth Stone thread, but I didn't see a generic TCG/CCG thread. I am just curious what, if any, TCGs do you guys play?

I started playing TCGs back in 95/96 with the Star Wars CCG. I learned how to play MTG in Jr. High, but my parents are super religious, and I wasn't allowed to have any MTG cards as a kid.

When that Star Wars CCG died, I didn't play anything for years and started playing MTG around 2008 and have been playing ever since.

My 8 year old plays Pokemon, and I know how to play, but she's the one who collects.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No. I had Pokemon cards as a kid but we never played the game, just bought and traded.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I played/collected Pokemon back in the day then played Yugioh some after that. It was always just with friends at home, never played any tournaments or anything like that. I also bought a bunch of various ones back when that never took off- Digimon, DBZ, Gundam, etc etc. I still pick up Pokemon and Yugioh cards if I find them cheap at Goodwills or yardsales but haven't bought new packs in well over a decade and don't desire to do so. I do enjoy playing video game versions of CCG. I've put a ton of time into Yugioh GBA games, that is the way for me to play with that stuff now.

Never played Magic, wish they made a portable video game version of that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've dodged CCG's quite well.
Almost got sucked into Star Wars Destiny, but i knew that would be trouble for me. I'd need everything.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I got into MTG when I was a teenager and I would go to tournaments at the mall. But I only had one real friend who I played with. When he left for out of state college, I sold my stuff to Craigslist strangers and members on here.

I had collected Pokemon cards when I was younger but never played the game. When I did get into MTG, my friends and I started to actually play Pokemon, but it was just for kicks - it's not a super exciting game.

I bought the Star Wars CCG when it was on clearance at Toys R Us but never found anyone on my block who wanted to play :lolz:.

I wish there was a Cyberpunk CCG.

Edit: I just remembered that my friend and I would play the FFVIII card game - I think it was called Triple Triad. Got boring kinda quick, but was cool that it was the same CCG from the actual game.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I wish there was a Cyberpunk CCG.

NetRunner - it's a straight up copy of Shadowrun Deckers in the matrix going against Megacorps. One side plays as a decker sending programs against the corp servers and their ICE's. While not a CCG, it did have a steady release of packs. Unfortunately, Fantasy flight just ended the release cycle. Looks like WOTC and FFG could not come to an agreement on licensing. The good news is there's plenty of game in just the core set.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
NetRunner - it's a straight up copy of Shadowrun Deckers in the matrix going against Megacorps. One side plays as a decker sending programs against the corp servers and their ICE's. While not a CCG, it did have a steady release of packs. Unfortunately, Fantasy flight just ended the release cycle. Looks like WOTC and FFG could not come to an agreement on licensing. The good news is there's plenty of game in just the core set.

Ooo thanks. I might pick this up.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Keep in mind there was a Netrunner CCG in the 1990s that FFG's Netrunner is essentially based on. The 90's Netrunner has a cyberpunk aesthetic born out of the late 80s and early 90s. FFG's Netrunner is set in their ANDROID setting, which a more modern take on "cyberpunk." It's still a dark setting but, trans/post human (?) - not sure how "punk" it is.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
God every so often, I think about buying a bunch of SWCCG cards. They aren't that expensive and I had a blast playing from like 7th grade through 10th grade.

I started MtG with Revised and played for a few years, looking at prices of that now, I should have kept some of that shit.

The last ones I actually played were Pokemon and YuGiOh. My brothers started buying cards just to 'collect' so I took some cards and learned the games. I never like YuGiOh, Pokemon was ok, not great, but I could see the appeal if you really liked the video games, it did at least mildly simulate the whole trainer fight pretty well.

All in all though, the idea of starting a lifestyle game in my mid-30s sounds...ugh. no thank you, but yeah, if I could find a couple cheap premiere SWCCG starter decks, I would play again and see what I think of it now.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I have seen Star Trek TCG still being played at a few boardgame meetups.
Apparently it has a decent player base still. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...ly-continues-10-years-after-its-official-end/

I completely forgot i'm pretty invested in Arham Horror LCG. While not a CCG, it's pretty much the same model.
LCG = Living Card Game , Fantasy Flight's model where extra packs are released with known content, but there's typically a steady stream of releases. The idea is you pick and choose what you want, but most people buy everything. It's a cooperative game for 1-4 players. It offers deck customization just like most CCG's.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
God every so often, I think about buying a bunch of SWCCG cards. They aren't that expensive and I had a blast playing from like 7th grade through 10th grade.

Don't. No one plays. Also, the later sets like Death Star II and Theed Palace has some very pricey cards. When I sold off my cards, I sold Darth Sidious for like $100, and that was like 8 years ago.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
on the topic of cyberpunk TCG: i remember i had a few packs of something , the name "doom" was in the name because I think that is why I bought them. It definitely seemed to have a sci fi art theme bordering on cyberpunk.... wtf was it called...

I was big into Pokemon and YuGiOh! when I was a kid. I remember I traded my Blue Eyes White Dragon for a Red Eyes Black Dragon because I thought the latter card was more badass despite being weaker.

I off and on had MTG cards, but no one in my area played when I was a child. I ended up playing for a little while with friends when I got older and the older cards I remembered were generally cheap and easy to get, so we would build whatever decks and play but no tournaments or anything

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Don't. No one plays. Also, the later sets like Death Star II and Theed Palace has some very pricey cards. When I sold off my cards, I sold Darth Sidious for like $100, and that was like 8 years ago.

I remember Jabba's Palace and Special Edition coming out but I don't remember getting many packs if any from those sets. The last set I bought lots of was Cloud City.

Looks like you can get Darth Sidious for about $30 now. But like I said if I did I would only buy some Premiere starters and mess around with those.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I've played several over the years but pretty much quit for a long time. Got back into the ccg world not too long ago and started playing Dragon Ball Super card game. I like it pretty well and it is rather fast paced. Also, really like the art and foil cards. The game is fairly cheap to get into.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Used to play the pokemon tcg up until last year. The newer sets have been pretty stale and boring. I just buy a couple cards from the older sets now.

Also played a lot of cardfight vanguard when it first came out. Been thinking of getting back into it since a lot of the cards from the original sets are cheap as dirt now.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Never played any of the tcgs but remember at the height of the Pokémon card craze I made myself and the stores I worked for an insane profit selling cards through our sticker machines. Forgot which card it was but I put one on eBay for a BIN price of $100 and sold it in 10 minutes :tickled:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Any of you nerds ever play the Middle Earth CCG? Was by ICE (Iron Crown Enterprises...) - that was my favorite CCG from back in the day. Played it all throughout middle school and high school up until the movies came out in late 2001.

I think I started with the Star Trek CCG, then Star Wars, then Middle Earth. I learned Magic somewhere in there too. The Middle Earth CCG was my favorite but I was most heavily invested in the star trek ccg though I can't recall when i stopped playing it. Maybe after the endor set? I don't recall owning any prequel stuff.

Marek

Banned
I play a fair bit of Hearthstone, but its too hard to find games where I live for me to play anything else

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Any of you nerds ever play the Middle Earth CCG? Was by ICE (Iron Crown Enterprises...)

Absolutely. I just sold a small box i found in my junk. Great artwork. It didn't sell for a fortune, but definitely more than i anticipated....

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I still have 10 preconstructed decks for the game, bought them years ago on eBay. It's 5 Wizard Decks and five Nazgul decks. I loved the art too, and that you could play it with a map.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I use to play magic back in middle and high school. Still wish I had all those cards. Some of them I use to own are worth thousands now. I have a love hate relationship with Magic. I think it's a great game, but it's too damn expensive, and I hate the mana screw mechanic. TCG's have evolved over the years with some really great games coming out, but unfortunately Magic is too big for anything else to be viable to play in public. Everywhere you go 99% of the people play magic, and 90% of those games that are not some form of tournament are Commander. This is frustrating, because there are so many good TCG's out, and Magic just destroys them all. I mean I live in a pretty major city, and finding anything to play other than magic is near impossible.

As mentioned before, Fantasy Flight Games makes some solid LCG's (Living Card Games). Their games really appeal to me because some of them are single player, and you don't have to deal with buying packs. I have to say The Lord of the Rings LCG is pretty damn good. It can be very hard, especially when you purchase some of the Nightmare Decks. I highly recommend it.

If you are a fan of Dragon Ball, then Dragon Ball Super is pretty fun. I play that with my brother sometimes when I visit my parents. It has really good mechanics.

If I had the choice to actually play what I wanted, without even thinking my two choices would be...

1. Legend of the 5 Rings LCG - Seriously.. I tried so hard to find groups playing this in Columbus. It saddens me I can't find a group to play.

2. Mega Corp - Pretty obscure, and has some really neat looking mechanics. I'll post a video below, but be aware it's not a very good video to show off the quality of the cards. These have been sold out for awhile, but I think they are restocking them eventually.

On a side note, back in the day "Rage: Cult of the Wyrm" was the shit. Such a cool game.

Last edited:

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Everywhere you go 99% of the people play magic, and 90% of those games that are not some form of tournament are Commander. This is frustrating, because there are so many good TCG's out, and Magic just destroys them all. I mean I live in a pretty major city, and finding anything to play other than magic is near impossible.

This is the main reason I got back into MTG. I mean, I really like modern and EDH, but I used to also play UFS, which had some SNK licences, but no one plays it here.

My brother just got me the Transformers TCG, which is simple and fun, but I don't see it really catching on.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Currently playing the new version of Cardfight Vanguard. Getting my 10 year into Pokemon. He went 2-1 in his first tournament! Was so excited for him.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I'm surprised more of the old CCG's from the late 90's haven't come back under the LCG-like model. Sure some were complete duds, but there's still quite a few with decent mechanics.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Pretty sure I have a box of MTG cards sitting in my parents' basement somewhere that's probably worth a few thousand dollars (mostly Revised/4th Edition). Might have to go digging the next time I'm there.

Last edited: