teh suck of Neo CD loading - video

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yep, it is after all. For some reason I was thinking it was 1x, but I do remember it maybe being 2x. Might be because it was tray loading and almost anything back then like that other than a computer was 1x. It does make sense that it is actually 2x as the M2 would have sucked ass, which really would have not given it a chance.
The FZ-10 model 3DO isn't tray-loading. It has bearings on the spindle to snap the disc in place.

I am pretty sure the 3DO version of Samurai Shodown loads faster than the NGCD version.

Of course it does have animation cuts, but the 3DO still loads way faster than the NGCD. 3DO games like Killing Time load the entire GAME (one open world fps) at the beginning, taking like 5 seconds, and only 1-2 second pauses going from one area to the other
Might as well compare the Sega CD version if you're gonna start comparing it to cut up versions of the game. Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown were some of the longest loads on the Sega CD though. Used all of the 6 megs of RAM.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Anyone who complains about NGCD load times has never played Bill Budge's Pinball Construction Set on Commodore 64.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Also, remember the Web ran at a crawl for pretty much everyone back then, so we were used to waiting for everything.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
My only point is that loading wasnt TERRIBLE. Don't know why they ever went w/ a 1x drive though. SNK had to know it was a stupid idea

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
My only point is that loading wasnt TERRIBLE. Don't know why they ever went w/ a 1x drive though. SNK had to know it was a stupid idea
Well, remember that CD-ROM drives weren't the disposable technology they are now. Using something faster would have bumped the price up significantly.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Anyone who complains about NGCD load times has never played Bill Budge's Pinball Construction Set on Commodore 64.

LOL! I remember playing C64 games at my cousins back in the day...
The games were very good! However the loading times were the worst!
I think the C64 disk drives talked to the C64 via a serial port connection. Very Very slow.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I used to play the hell out of my neo-cd , AOF3, metal slug 1, 2 etc

Theres a lot of really playable games on it.

Puzzle Bobble only had an initial load, viewpoint was excellent on the system, MS1 was done really well. I used to put up with AOF3 loading because I liked it so much.

I should really dig it out of my loft but I think I cut a resistor trying to get it into 60Hz and the last time I tried it it was just black and white, might have been the TV though.

Great system with Stereo L+R, svideo out of the box also.

VRC-SID

Cheng's Errand Boy
I hate loading monkey. And whats with the music tracks being red book audio of the in game music from the MVS? Why can't it simply play regular MVS music?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I hate loading monkey. And whats with the music tracks being red book audio of the in game music from the MVS? Why can't it simply play regular MVS music?
Then you have to load the sound data into RAM. That takes more time, and the NGCD's sound RAM was sometimes too small to fit all the data the MVS used.

Puzzle Bobble and League Bowling. There were some games that were practically a cart on a CD. One initial load, no red book. The kind of games we could now convert to CD ourselves if we had to.

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary
How much longer do we have to talk about this? 3 more years? 5 more years? 10 more years? Will the CD systems load less in 50 more years? I tell you what, how bought we take all the CD systems, throw them in a pile, pour gasoline over them, and then light them on fire? No? Idiots.:hammer:

trimer34

Quiz Detective
Turn on your CD system get your disk inserted
and then start reading the BIBLE check one's in a blue moon if the thing is
ready to play.. haa :D