teh suck of Neo CD loading - video

SniperElite

Kula's Candy
Pretty amazing! I have never seen a side by side like that before. I heard it was bad, but I guess it all depend on what neo cd you are playing, right?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Yes, it varies game to game.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
The Neo CD in all it's incarnations is FUCKING TERRIBLE when it comes to loading. When I had mine I used to TRY to play the KOFs and Real Bouts but with minute long loads in between rounds it was fucking impossible.

With the older games and non fighters it wasn't so bad. One long load at the beginning and after that it was pretty much smooth sailing. But the fighters, fucking forget it.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
The load times are typically only truly bad on the later fighting games.

Shodown doesn't even have horrible load times. Is the initial load bad? Sure. But that happens exactly ONCE when you're playing the game and you can just as well go do something else for a minute after you start the game, it's not a big deal.

Edit: I've never bothered to compare but you might actually be able to play Turf Masters slightly faster on the NGCD since all the "victory" screens between holes can be skipped in the CD version.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When I had mine I used to TRY to play the KOFs and Real Bouts but with minute long loads in between rounds it was fucking impossible.

Yup, I've only played the Saturn ports but even then it was terrible. Loading between rounds and then even the music restarts? Ugh.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Hah!
If you think that Sam Sho CD is bad then try playing Last Blade 1 or 2 as they make that game look quick.

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
A 1993 game is a poor way to showcase the shittiness of the system..

Last Blade 1 or 2 as they make that game look quick.

that's the sort of stuff he should've used :)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
lollerskates.
that's awesome.
I remember when I was younger,
I would play my stuff at night.
When I had my NEOcd I would play late and practically take micronaps between load times.
I think I used the NEOcd system more as a cd player and just play the arranged soundtracks
when I was bored.
that video makes me miss my cdz.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
It isn't that huge of a deal to me really. I guess it was because I started with a Top Loader. Then, 2-3 years later I got an AES and CDZ around the same time. It does get bad with SSRPG, LB 1 and LB2. As for AOF 3, RBS, RB2, KOF 95-99, SS3 and SS4... it really didn't bother me that much.

The CDZ actually made just enough difference for me to make it worth more while nowadays. The AST and extras is enough reason to play it. I say own both formats and switch it up to the CD once in a while.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
teh suck of bitching about Neo CD loading... yawn... if an excellent Neo game isn't worth the wait I don't know what is. Ah well, to each his own.

slugger_dan

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
teh suck of bitching about Neo CD loading... yawn... if an excellent Neo game isn't worth the wait I don't know what is. Ah well, to each his own.

haha I guess in the near decade of this forum being around there must've been hundreds of posts made by now about it.

Not that I knew what the thing was at the time, but if I happened to have one in the 90s + access to the games i'd play the hell out of it despite the load times because it was realistically the only hope I'd ever have for affordable neo at home, I can respect it for doing that for people. I don't have any motivation to run out and get one in 2009 with affordable carts and all.

going to admit i'd probably play SS3 present day for the AST alone;)

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I remember seeing that a while ago.

NGCD load times can be bad but I/O errors and CDZ overheating are worse. :angry:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
haha I guess in the near decade of this forum being around there must've been hundreds of posts made by now about it.

Not that I knew what the thing was at the time, but if I happened to have one in the 90s + access to the games i'd play the hell out of it despite the load times because it was realistically the only hope I'd ever have for affordable neo at home, I can respect it for doing that for people. I don't have any motivation to run out and get one in 2009 with affordable carts and all.

going to admit i'd probably play SS3 present day for the AST alone;)
Yeah no kidding. Everyone who saw it thought my NGCD was fucking awesome back in the day.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I loved my NGCD. So what if it loads for long. I do other things while it loads. People actually stare at the screen and wait?...lol

My NGCD is what got me into the Neo in the first place.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I love my Neo Geo CD as well.

People get spoiled with MVS nowadays. Back in 1994-98 when MVS carts were not easily accessible, Neo Geo CD was a great alternative for enjoying Neo games.

I agree that loading time for fighting games sucks, but it's not that bad for action/platform games.

I loved my NGCD. So what if it loads for long. I do other things while it loads. People actually stare at the screen and wait?...lol

My NGCD is what got me into the Neo in the first place.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I started out with the Neo CD... even though my first game was MVS, I never bought a motherboard until later down the road.

I used to hate load times on other systems - especially the playstation and some saturn games, but the Neo CD didn't bother me. Last Blade 2 was painful, I admit, and I shelved that game to play the Home Cart at a friend's house.

Sam Sho III was quick with the load times, though. At least - that's how I remember it. What a great game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I can tell you this, I'd rather wait for a Neo CD to load a good game rather than playing a Sega CD and waiting for a crap game. Of course the SCD had good games but most were bad. The NGCD on the other hand had a very good selection of great games.

Neist

n00b
I can tell you this, I'd rather wait for a Neo CD to load a good game rather than playing a Sega CD and waiting for a crap game. Of course the SCD had good games but most were bad. The NGCD on the other hand had a very good selection of great games.

Can't really argue with that. Even games I wanted to buy a Sega CD for in the recent weren't all that good, even if I did enjoy them.

Kind of sad I spent the money on a CDX, to be honest.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
I loved my NGCD. So what if it loads for long. I do other things while it loads.

art5widea.jpg

:D

Clessy

Banned
I remember seeing that a while ago.

NGCD load times can be bad but I/O errors and CDZ overheating are worse. :angry:

Im gonna have to say these are both blown out of proportion. I've had I/O errors a few times and just cleaned the lens off. Over heating I just cant even imagine is possible.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Im gonna have to say these are both blown out of proportion. I've had I/O errors a few times and just cleaned the lens off. Over heating I just cant even imagine is possible.
It's possible all right. Downright common, in fact. The trick is just not to set the CDZ on carpet or play for more than an hour or so at a time. I had to learn this the hard way, since I'm notorious for a ghetto setup with consoles all over the floor.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Since I own both the CD and AES consoles, I have never really had an issue with loading times.

They arent terrible, and given the fact I can play Sam Spirits 4 on CD for $20 compared to the AES costs, for me its a way to enjoy alot MORE Neo-Geo games than I could if I just had the cartridge based systems

Plus I love the style of the top loader. One of my favorite consoles