teh suck of Neo CD loading - video

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I would if there was a full english translation somewhere. :eye::eye:

Oh, but didn't you know? That one dude totally foiled my plan and proved me to be a faker. Yep. Total fraud. Nope, no SSRPG in English for anyone, not ever.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
The neo cd is the worse system I have ever owned and the biggest waste of my money ever, more so over my ps3, with that I can at least watch hd movies. I actually told my neo cd to fuck off with its crazy load times, mothed balled it and just got the saturn port, samurai shodown 4 for example on the saturn. The controllers I used for my supergun before I got a cab

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
i have to say im one of those people who doesnt really care about the load times. sure they are slow sometimes and i wish they weren't there, but does it keep me from enjoying the game? no. its a neat piece of history and snk hardware. i especially like the front-loader, top loader is cool and cdz is too.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I've been looking up some Neo Geo CD reviews of games lately on Youtube and people will mention the load times. They even mention it to consider it a chance to open a beer, eat a sandwich or to drink some coffee.

Here is a good one on Pulstar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5fC3RV9DLQ

Also, on the CDZ issues. I never had any problems except for the 1 out of 200 disc read error, but only happened on my KOF 96. It never overheats or randomly resets in any way. Just make sure it can breath and don't play it in a room with a temperature of 80-90 F.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
They never bothered me.

But the Last Blades were annoying...

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
That juggling monkey must be in some players' nightmares.

Odd though, I could have sworn the 3DO had a single speed drive as well, yet wasn't as bad at game loading in general. Maybe it's a system memory thing.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
That juggling monkey must be in some players' nightmares.

Odd though, I could have sworn the 3DO had a single speed drive as well, yet wasn't as bad at game loading in general. Maybe it's a system memory thing.

3DO having 24Mb + ??Kb sound ram instead of 56Mb for one thing. That and it probably had other memory tricks and everywhere I look it does generally say 2x drive but I don't think that is right. Example:
-CD-ROM Drive with the following features:
+ 320ms access time
+ Doublespeed 300kbps Data Transfer
+ 32kbyte ram buffer

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Wow, those load times are just outrageous! It makes me thankful that I never had the opportunity to choose whether or not the SNK Neo•Geo CD would be a worthwhile purchase. Instead, I've found the best of both worlds: the aesthetic beauty of the SNK Neo•Geo CD and the arcade-perfection of the SNK Neo•Geo MVS.

picture.php

Thanks again, Xian Xi. :cool:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I never had a neo cd and load times were the reason why. I don't mind waiting a little if its a action adventure game, but when it comes to fighting games, no way.

I remember getting rid of King of Fighters Neo Wave on my Xbox because it had those stupid load times in between rounds and matches.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The 3DO definately has a 2x drive, and the load times on it arent bad at all, compared to the Neo Geo CD

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
The 3DO has a 2X CD drive.

Yep, it is after all. For some reason I was thinking it was 1x, but I do remember it maybe being 2x. Might be because it was tray loading and almost anything back then like that other than a computer was 1x. It does make sense that it is actually 2x as the M2 would have sucked ass, which really would have not given it a chance.

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I don't usually use emulators, but I make an exception for the NeoGeo CD because of the horrible load times. The Dreamcast Neo4ALL CD emulator works well for most games and it loads very quickly. Just tried Last Blade 2 and the longest load times were 10-12 seconds. It still loads frequently, but on Dreamcast you actually spend more time playing than waiting... The emulator is compatible with most NeoGeo CD games and you can use the excellent Dreamcast agetec sticks.

I still have my old NeoGeo CD though because the emulator won't play SSRPG and a few of my other games.

Clessy

Banned
Neogeo SDL played SSRPG completly fine. I dont know why the suprior neo4all wouldnt.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Might as well play the NGCD games on Dreamcast with the boot disk and controller converters. That load time is balls.

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Neogeo SDL played SSRPG completly fine. I dont know why the suprior neo4all wouldnt.

It's listed as 'will not load' on the neo4all compatibility chart so I never bothered to try it. But, I can give it a shot tonight to confirm.

Deuce

The 3DO definately has a 2x drive, and the load times on it arent bad at all, compared to the Neo Geo CD

Neo*Geo CD = 7 megabytes of RAM.

3DO = 3 megabytes of RAM (2 main, 1 VRAM).

150k/sec or 300k/sec, it'll still take over twice as long to load up a fully-loaded out Neo title. And that's not including seek times.

Also, didn't the CDZ just have a bigger cache? Not an actual 2x drive?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I am pretty sure the 3DO version of Samurai Shodown loads faster than the NGCD version.

Of course it does have animation cuts, but the 3DO still loads way faster than the NGCD. 3DO games like Killing Time load the entire GAME (one open world fps) at the beginning, taking like 5 seconds, and only 1-2 second pauses going from one area to the other

Deuce

I think that the main issue was that the NeoCD is very poorly designed/optimized.