Tekken producer wants it's own Samurai Spirits game

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Will he succeed?

Back in April, TecMundo Games caught up with Tekken Producer Katsuhiro Harada and Game Designer Michael Murray to discuss the game's latest installment, Fated Retribution. For fun, their editor Guilherme Sarda asked both Bandai Namco representatives which fighting game not made by their company is their favorite.

Hardada noted that his favorite fighter is actually SNK's title, Samurai Shodown, while Murray chose Garou: Mark of Wolves.

Because of Harada's answer nearly seven months ago, Sarda decided to revisit the topic with Harada at the King of the Iron Fist tournament earlier this week.

Harada was asked if there is any chance that Bandai Namco would be willing to do some sort of crossover with SNK to feature Samurai Shodown characters in one of their games, much like we've seen with Capcom's Akuma in Tekken 7 most recently.

It looks like Harada's idea for Samurai Shodown extends beyond a simple collaboration.

"More than still talk of the possibility of a collaboration, we would like to buy the rights and make ourselves a new Samurai Shodown title and put the franchise back on the map through our vision," Harada exclaimed. "It is a distant dream, but a dream."

Though this was mostly said in jest, Harada later reaffirmed the desire to be at the helm of a Samurai Shodown revival.

What do you think of a Bandai Namco-made Samurai Shodown with Harada's vision? Let us know in the comments below.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...nk-please-let-katsuhiro-harada-bring-it-back/

Last edited:

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
As long as it plays just as good as say, SS2, then I don't see any problems

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I'd love a new Samurai Shodown game that's a mixture of II and IV with respect to gameplay. Gotta be 2D, though.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
If Harada approach SS or a fighting game with swords, I believe he would do great given on what he's done with Tekken.

Tekken and SS are my two favourite fighting games. This is really good news!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If there'll be some real emotion behind it, I'd lovingly embrace another horrible atmosphere.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Harada also wants to do Tekken vs. Street Fighter.
While I'm all for this, the man is already carrying a backlog.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I hope they can keep the soul of Samurai Spirits.

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
I would have thought the SamSho characters would be a better fit for Soul Calibur than for Tekken, seeing as one of SC's distinguishing features - the use of weapons - is something it shares with SamSho.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I would have thought the SamSho characters would be a better fit for Soul Calibur than for Tekken, seeing as one of SC's distinguishing features - the use of weapons - is something it shares with SamSho.

My thoughts exactly. Although Urban Reign demonstrated that the teams at namco can pull off hand to hand combat and weapon gameplay, I think the Soul Calibur world and engine could be a great fit for the cast of SS.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
No thank you.

I want this:

- The first company that Neo_G want for after graduating from school was SNK. He failed after applying for planner position because the test told him to draw Nakoruru, and he could only do stick figures. He played Samurai Shodown all the time and wants to make a seriously bloody Samurai Shodown for grown-ups, almost like an MK but with a traditional Japanese samurai drama taste.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
a 2d samurai shodown made by namco would be sweet, but highly doubt it. probably going to be a 3d game always being compared to soul calibur.

No thank you.

I want this:

that does sound good. i wouldn't mind seeing a more adult, old school samurai movie and less anime samurai showdown with more actual japanese historical influences. as long as they don't just amp up the gore and make the characters more realistic looking like mortal kombat.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'd be okay with it being 2.5D a la Maximum Impact. Playing in 2D while being able to side step in 3D would actually open up some good strategic gameplay.

Pure 3D though? Nein. Nicht. Nyet.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Isn't that what Samsho Sen was on the 360/PS3?

Loved the art direction of Sen, but it fell heavily in the gameplay department, and the animation were out of place (not to mention to the home port came very late in the life cycle of XBox360). I would love to see them give the same formula another shot, mixing it with the fluid 2D gameplay and animation of KOF14, and raising the aesthetics bar to make it on par with the original games standards.

I really dislike the art direction Tekken is taking, especially since T6. Same goes with the direction they took with SC5 (too bad, cause the gameplay was really good in that one).

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I want a Samurai Shodown game that the old Capcom guys who made shit like SFA and 3rd Strike...... wait they are.... nevermind we're good :)