Terraonion - Dedicated forum on NG.com... Opinions please...

nono2lozere

Quiz Detective
Actually it may seem the opossite in chat but i like him a lot aswel, but hey no homo words here. Just to be clear, one has a reputation to keep

Rot?

To be on topic I think it's a good idea.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
It's a fair point in a way but we've never been approached by JammaNation or others so far. I'm sure we could have worked something out.

What's more, the new subforum isn't really support for a for-profit company but an attempt to keep the forums tidy, specially Tech, since the questions would pop up here anyway.

But why shouldn't TerraOnion run their own forums for official and community support of their products? Krikzz runs his own forums for supporting his Everdrives. Darksoft runs his own forums for supporting his equipment. Jason's Customs, ArcadeWorks and JammaNation-X do Facebook support and discussions for the products they create.

I don't care one way or another - it just seems strange to me to direct PC Engine enthusiasts to Neo-Geo.com for discussion and official support of their new TerraOnion purchase.

Funny that there's no Neo Store official subforum in here ...

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm in support of a separate section for the TO team. At the moment we have a small support subsection for the NeoSD and a couple discussion threads in News & Rumors, which is fine and it has been fine. That said a dedicated area would be best, especially with more products coming in the future. I can see this being very beneficial for our member base, newcomers and established members.

Move the entire Hyper64 section to a subsection of the Arcade forum. It is on life support...

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
The current marriage makes perfect sense for the NeoSD for obvious reasons. Seems completely out of place for the Super SD System 3 and any future Terraonion products given that they will most likely expand into areas beyond SNK's platform. Strictly from a business point of view, wouldn't make sense with Terraonion's non-NeoSD portfolio to have neo-geo.com be the mecca for product support for their portfolio beyond the NeoSD. And with respect to neo-geo.com, this forum's success has been the ability to specialize in one platform for what is now a very long time.

Pro's for NG.com:
  • Increased traffic
  • Potential for new ideas from new individual contributors
  • Increased reputation
  • Potential linchpin for evolution beyond SNK's platform

Con's for NG.com:
  • Increased traffic
  • Increased management of traffic
  • Increased COG's
  • Increased headaches from management of increased traffic
  • Alienate existing member base

Pro's for Terraonion
  • Gain virtual members to NeoSD Team leveraging existing platform management
  • Decreased operational expenses
  • Decreased operational responsibilities for NeoSD Team
  • Tap into loyal market gained from sale of NeoSD

Con's for Terraonion
  • Cause confusion in marketplace for future non-NeoSD products
  • Limit ability to tap into non-hardcore market beyond NG.com member base
  • Potentially alienating non-NG.com interested customers
  • Relinquish complete control of direction and support strategy of product portfolio
  • Unrealized future conflicts of interest leading to potential divorce

Terraonion is a business. Right now, I believe there is a handshake agreement and goodwill that keeps the marriage going. From a business point of view, if NG.com is to be used, I would draw up a contractual agreement of terms to level set expectations if the marriage is to continue. But, I'd sooner create my own platform if driving the bottom line is my goal (the whole Microsoft Office for Apple relationship mentality. Microsoft doesn't provide support for Office through Apple). Keep the NG.com as the place for the news and announcements for interested parties. Direct customers to a proprietary platform, IMO.

For NG.com ownership and management, it is just a question of whether you want to take on the change or not. This has been a specialized forum for so long built around an unchanged platform and has been successful. But all good things come to an end. Sometimes you must evolve but that has consequences too as mentioned in the Cons, IMO.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
In all honesty...

In am already about 90% sure I would do this...

I have read all the comments and taken a few privately...

NG.com has not been wholly dedicated for a while... we're a mixture of so many different members and disciplines now...

I am thinking about the future... and I appreciate some folks may not like the change but with gaming forums such as ourselves facing increased competition from social media sites.... I feel it is in our interests to apply changes which we may feel will benefit our site and community at large...

HOWEVER, nothing is set in stone yet...

xROTx

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
I would be very happy to see Alex and his team settle here , when people get along well and the atmosphere is good , separate for a business story or different consoles is a pity .

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
In all honesty...

In am already about 90% sure I would do this...

I have read all the comments and taken a few privately...

NG.com has not been wholly dedicated for a while... we're a mixture of so many different members and disciplines now...

I am thinking about the future... and I appreciate some folks may not like the change but with gaming forums such as ourselves facing increased competition from social media sites.... I feel it is in our interests to apply changes which we may feel will benefit our site and community at large...

HOWEVER, nothing is set in stone yet...

xROTx

Agree it is great for the forum members and probably necessary for the forum. Survival doesn't happen without evolution. No question about that. But realize, it's an olive branch right now. Get it down on paper so expectations are set. Bank those expectations now, and if there is conflict later, withdraw from that bank as needed. Boom.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'm for it, but I'd say it's early enough days for their company that it isn't wholly necessary at this time. They've got, what, like less than ten threads site wide? Yes they are popular threads, but they're hardly populous enough to bury all the other threads.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm for it, but I'd say it's early enough days for their company that it isn't wholly necessary at this time. They've got, what, like less than ten threads site wide? Yes they are popular threads, but they're hardly populous enough to bury all the other threads.

Yeah... I thought about that...

Neosd has indicated he wants to produce 3-4 products in the upcoming year... so I'm planning ahead...

xROTx

PS. But... I'm already thinking ahead and maybe asking our regular contributors like NTM, Xian-Xi, Lemony... if they would consider becoming part of an elite sorta Sales/Tech forum for their products...

They're loyal to our scene here...

Logistically... it's a nightmare to sort out tho... but i'm willing to do the running..

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Neosd has indicated he wants to produce 3-4 products in the upcoming year..

Ouch... my bank account. Have they no decency?

Edit - How about making Neo Dev & Homebrew a subforum of News & Rumors? Great for announcements, being at the top of the page, and leaving it open for all the oldtimer's projects, not just Terraonion's. Just an idle thought.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Ouch... my bank account. Have they no decency?

Edit - How about making Neo Dev & Homebrew a subforum of News & Rumors? Great for announcements, being at the top of the page, and leaving it open for all the oldtimer's projects, not just Terraonion's. Just an idle thought.

I can confirm this year we are going to release 3 more. This is the plan, lets see what will happens at all

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I'm just saying there are about 3 weeks left of this year or were you talking '18?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I believe he was disclosing this year, that *next* year they'll have three releases. That's how I read it anyway.

powerflower

Banned
Damn Rot! I know you can be Gung-Ho from time to time...But these kind of Jokes are no-no.

Last time a "friend" insulted my mother badly I challenged him to a fist fight, he pussed out. Mind you I never brawled in my life but don't fuck around with my mother...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK... I have thought on it... and well... I feel it's worth the effort....

I have stated why I wish this forum to be created... and I'll take the heat if it doesn't work...

SO... unless I get a sign from above... I am 99% sure I will go ahead of this sometime in the new year, to coincide with members getting the new SD 3 device...

xROTx

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've come around to your point of view. Three new products, barring tragedy, in the coming year. A forum of their own would allow the device specific threads to be less cluttered with off topic discussion.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I've come around to your point of view. Three new products, barring tragedy, in the coming year. A forum of their own would allow the device specific threads to be less cluttered with off topic discussion.

It will make the forums a bit more tidy... However, adding another tier isn't what I like...

However, I'm thinking of how to de-clutter and where to place this forum if it is decided I should go ahead...

Yeah... it's a commitment from both parties... but I don't mind the extra workload involved with creating a new forum... as long as we can bring in more footfall and extend our "shelf-life"...

xROTx

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
What about my suggestion of moving Neo Dev and Homebrew?

Last edited:

toaks

n00b
I think this is a great idea! It would be nice to have just 1 place to go for support for all products, and on a forum I already enjoy visiting.