test drive unlimited sucks so much

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Mawdsley said:
I love the game but I am annoyed that they seemed to have dropped the cops (at least from the new demo). I can easily avoid tickets on the new system, even when crashing into shitloads of other cars.

The cops are still in there. They aren't dropping them. They just don't have that presence in free roam, when you are on online mode with other players. If you do free roam offline, the cops return.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
So, umm... I've been playing this game all day at a friend's house and it's actualy quite good. The demo is a really poor representation of the full game. Missions are fairly varied and the map is huge. Quite a few cars to choose from too, a lot of which are great. Controls are good once you get used to them.

Graphics are still varied. Some stuff looks great and other stuff not-so-much. Major negative (for me at least) is that I don't really like the online much. And that seems to be a huge draw for this one. Maybe with more time...

I'm still probably not going to buy it. But damned if I wasn't enjoying playing my friend's rented copy for hours.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
subcons said:
So, umm... I've been playing this game all day at a friend's house and it's actualy quite good. The demo is a really poor representation of the full game. Missions are fairly varied and the map is huge. Quite a few cars to choose from too, a lot of which are great. Controls are good once you get used to them.

Graphics are still varied. Some stuff looks great and other stuff not-so-much. Major negative (for me at least) is that I don't really like the online much. And that seems to be a huge draw for this one. Maybe with more time...

I'm still probably not going to buy it. But damned if I wasn't enjoying playing my friend's rented copy for hours.

I ended up buying this even though I wasn't very impressed with the demo. It is actually very good and there is a lot to do both off line and Live. The controls really don't take too long to get the hang of and there is plenty to do.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
My housemate just picked this game up yesterday. My impressions from watching him play is that it's a less intense but more realized Need for Speed: Most Wanted. What could really make the game totally awesome is if they released a totally brand new city for download every year.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I picked it up, and I'm totally addicted. The graphics aren't the greatest, but the way the game was designed to keep most locations hidden until you happen upon them while driving encourages exploration, and the island is large enough to keep the interest going. I just unlocked the custom paint shop last night and must have spent an hour finding just the right chameleon scheme for my Miura.

P.S.: If anyone happens to have a referral code that hasn't been given to a friend yet I'll shoot a few dollers into your PayPal account. :) I just can't get any friends to pick up this game, and don't want the two extra cars enough to buy another copy of the game myself.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Bishamon said:
I picked it up, and I'm totally addicted. The graphics aren't the greatest, but the way the game was designed to keep most locations hidden until you happen upon them while driving encourages exploration, and the island is large enough to keep the interest going. I just unlocked the custom paint shop last night and must have spent an hour finding just the right chameleon scheme for my Miura.

P.S.: If anyone happens to have a referral code that hasn't been given to a friend yet I'll shoot a few dollers into your PayPal account. :) I just can't get any friends to pick up this game, and don't want the two extra cars enough to buy another copy of the game myself.

Hey, I posted a thread in on line section here about referral codes. I also put the link in my post for the site. (They are still working on getting the two cars approved as you will see once you go to the site)

Anyway...I posted my referral code if you still don't have one, I am still looking for one myself.:help:

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
My friend was talking about how awesome this game is, and he explained to me what it's like. I said "sounds like grand Turismo," he said it's nothing like it and WAY cooler. So I went over to check it out..........Fucking horrible game. This game does not look like it should be on a next gen system, the graphics are pretty lame and boring. And I don't feel this game brings anything new to the genre. Big deal you're on an island with roads instead of tracks (that was one of his points of why its better than Grand Turismo) the controls suck anus, and they couldn't get the license to the car's real names. Overall presentation is very poor and yeah, I've never played the fourth GT game, but I'm pretty sure he'd be better off playing that instead, Luckily he bought TD Unlimited for only $30.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Tung Fu ru said:
My friend was talking about how awesome this game is, and he explained to me what it's like. I said "sounds like grand Turismo," he said it's nothing like it and WAY cooler. So I went over to check it out..........Fucking horrible game. This game does not look like it should be on a next gen system, the graphics are pretty lame and boring. And I don't feel this game brings anything new to the genre. Big deal you're on an island with roads instead of tracks (that was one of his points of why its better than Grand Turismo) the controls suck anus, and they couldn't get the license to the car's real names.

You must have been playing a different game, since all of the cars in my version have the real names.

Regardless, it's very difficult to compare GT with TDU, since they are very different games, but I will tell you this: I'm having more fun with TDU than I had with GT4.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Bishamon said:
You must have been playing a different game, since all of the cars in my version have the real names.

Regardless, it's very difficult to compare GT with TDU, since they are very different games, but I will tell you this: I'm having more fun with TDU than I had with GT4.

I didn't see the names, and my friend said that they didn't have any, he must've been mistaken.

It just seems to me this same game could've been put on the Xbox or PS2.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I put about an hour into this the other day when I got it, and it's pretty much right what I expected, I guess. It's clearly a budget title, not the greatest production values, and the handling isn't great, but it's not bad, either.

I'll keep it around to play if I get really bored, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for anything other than the fact that it only costs $40.

It's a 5.5/10 for me.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
jro said:
I put about an hour into this the other day when I got it, and it's pretty much right what I expected, I guess. It's clearly a budget title, not the greatest production values, and the handling isn't great, but it's not bad, either.

Those were my impressions when I first started playing; then I played some more and now I can't stop! :help: ;)

Mawdsley

Belnar Institute Student
Kirk Foiden said:
The cops are still in there. They aren't dropping them. They just don't have that presence in free roam, when you are on online mode with other players. If you do free roam offline, the cops return.
Yeah, I just got busted for 40k :( I should really just turn myself in rather than try to get away and end up in a road block after hitting more cars.

Love my Ferrari 288 GTO though. Was running missions all night to get one. Then when I had enough money, they had sold out, but got another in this afternoon.

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
No comparison to GT. Totaly different game. The car models are one of the good points graphicaly though. Fairly deatailed and pretty accurate. I did notice the tires are put on cars backwards though (look at the tread).

These are next gen graphics, just early next gen graphics. It'll look like utter crap all over in the next year probably. But saying it looks like PS2 is just wrong.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Tung Fu ru said:
It just seems to me this same game could've been put on the Xbox or PS2.

The ports are on their way...

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Mawdsley said:
Love my Ferrari 288 GTO though. Was running missions all night to get one. Then when I had enough money, they had sold out, but got another in this afternoon.

Same here! I had to put one on reserve. :)

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
this game is cool, that is my feeling after spending an hour with it anyway.

the graphics are nice in parts, the sun over the distant hills as you drive through the city for example.

i like the whole start of the game, buying the house, etc.

the driving feels decent with all the aids turned off too.

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
was actually looking at the game in my local gamestation on saturday deciding whether to give it a go or not, but decided for £50, I'd best know a little more about the game first rather than just the pretty artwork on the back of the case.
After reading this thread, I think Ill either rent it or wait for the price to come down before buying