The Avengers Trailer

aria

Former Moderator
No matter what happens, I think it's safe to say this --there's no way it will be as bad as the last "The Avengers" movie, and if it can erase these memories it will have done justice for humankind:

Too bad they couldn't re-sign Edward Norton.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm really getting tired of this marketing trend in movies, teasing the new movie almost a year ahead of time.

That said, I want this to be well received. I like the characters, I like the actors, I've followed every movie in this build up and have enjoyed them all and I want Joss Whedon to have a directing hit and be well regarded for it.

The movie is going to make bank, one way or another. I just don't want it to suck. I've grown up with these characters and want to be able to appreciate it without reservations or qualifiers.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Looking forward to the scene where Hulk loses control and the rest of the team has to take him down.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm going to be completely honest here. In my boxes and boxes of comics, I have no Avengers, and no comics of the members of the Avengers. I was never a fan of any of them, at all. They always seemed corny and retarded to me, even as a child.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm going to be completely honest here. In my boxes and boxes of comics, I have no Avengers, and no comics of the members of the Avengers. I was never a fan of any of them, at all. They always seemed corny and retarded to me, even as a child.

Just out of curiosity, who did you like?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, who did you like?

I collected the judge dredd, transformers comics and Boris the Bear as a kid. Eventually got into punisher, xmen and xfactor, and Spiderman. Whatever Jim Lee or McFarlane was drawing, I was into.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'll definitely go see it no matter what, but I'm also hoping that it will honestly be a decent flick. I'm worried about having to split the screen time between all those characters, though. C'mon, Joss, nail it!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I collected the judge dredd, transformers comics and Boris the Bear as a kid. Eventually got into punisher, xmen and xfactor, and Spiderman. Whatever Jim Lee or McFarlane was drawing, I was into.

This definitely explains why more classic heroes didn't appeal to you. The sensibilities behind their designs are way before the time of the things you liked. Some people will point out that X-Men was as old as everything else, but up until about issue 200 it was still pretty 'classic' comic book stuff. The time period of the stuff you cited is 'generally' around the time period where characters were turning more towards the stuff you like.

Wow, Boris the Bear. Almost forget he ever existed.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
No matter what happens, I think it's safe to say this --there's no way it will be as bad as the last "The Avengers" movie, and if it can erase these memories it will have done justice for humankind:

Too bad they couldn't re-sign Edward Norton.

that was possibly one of the finest moments in movie history. how dare you sir!

on a side note, why the hell did they replace David Hasselhoff with Samuel Jackson for the Nick Fury role anyway?

õ_Ô

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This definitely explains why more classic heroes didn't appeal to you. The sensibilities behind their designs are way before the time of the things you liked. Some people will point out that X-Men was as old as everything else, but up until about issue 200 it was still pretty 'classic' comic book stuff. The time period of the stuff you cited is 'generally' around the time period where characters were turning more towards the stuff you like.

Wow, Boris the Bear. Almost forget he ever existed.

That's probably true. If the current batch of hero movies are working out, then whatever, but I think it seems shortsighted. I can't imagine kids today buying into the old books, actionfigures, or tv shows that were popular in the past.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can't imagine kids today buying into the old books, actionfigures, or tv shows that were popular in the past.

They aren't. That's why they're making new books, actionfigures and tv shows with the same characters.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
They aren't. That's why they're making new books, actionfigures and tv shows with the same characters.

I can't imagine the new toys going over as well as the old ones did. There's a psychological disconnect between the old toys and the new ones, old kids that are now fat execs, and young kids that are now emo, raised on a lot less violence, and more androgyny than ever before.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You are so out-of-touch. Not that i expected any less.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watching that trailer, it seems like I already saw that movie this year and it was called Transformers 3. It's like they just re-cut it with some shots of Robert Downey jr. spliced in. But they kept all the exploding city streets, the flipping cars, the army guys. I don't know. I'm going to have to see another trailer.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Watching that trailer, it seems like I already saw that movie this year and it was called Transformers 3. It's like they just re-cut it with some shots of Robert Downey jr. spliced in. But they kept all the exploding city streets, the flipping cars, the army guys. I don't know. I'm going to have to see another trailer.

Here's the other trailer:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Looks badass to me. I've liked the movies featuring the characters individually (though I haven't seen Cap yet), so if they keep the elements that have made them cool so far, I don't see why this couldn't be awesome.

I like the fact Loki is the bad guy, too. It's a good idea that pays homage to the comic's roots.

So yeah. Looks great on paper, the trailer was cool, the director is good... Looks like it's theirs to screw up, if you ask me. Best case scenario is they give Dark Knight a run for its money as best superhero movie, if you ask me.

EDIT: One more thing. Ed Norton would have been better as banner, but you have to admit that Mark Ruffalo is a pretty good actor, and an excellent choice for a replacement. I can't really think of anyone who'd be better.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Looks badass to me. I've liked the movies featuring the characters individually (though I haven't seen Cap yet), so if they keep the elements that have made them cool so far, I don't see why this couldn't be awesome.

I like the fact Loki is the bad guy, too. It's a good idea that pays homage to the comic's roots.

So yeah. Looks great on paper, the trailer was cool, the director is good... Looks like it's theirs to screw up, if you ask me. Best case scenario is they give Dark Knight a run for its money as best superhero movie, if you ask me.

EDIT: One more thing. Ed Norton would have been better as banner, but you have to admit that Mark Ruffalo is a pretty good actor, and an excellent choice for a replacement. I can't really think of anyone who'd be better.

Norton is a great actor but was always a terrible choice, aesthetically, as the hulk, in every fucking conceivable way. But yeah, from a business standpoint I got your back, bro-bear.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Transformers 3.

LOL wow that movie was terribad.
Was Bay trying to elevate his tripe to an artform when he made a mercedes SLR nazi decepticon execute a defenseless "jew" autobot scientist?

Giant robo-aliens who weren't around for our history are doomed to repeat it :crying:

How profound.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Oh, who is any one kidding,
this can't hang with dark knight.
even if dk sucked six ways to sunday.

Downy will probably save the movie
but I can't imagine it being all that great.
And I don't get this trend of boring villians.
It's a comic book movie.
Make a badass villain.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'd love to see this movie succeed, just to cement Whedon as a bankable action movie director. I'll see Avengers for that, if no other reason. But holy shit, watching this again and I can't seem to muster the slightest enthusiasm for the movie based on that trailer.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I'd love to see this movie succeed, just to cement Whedon as a bankable action movie director. I'll see Avengers for that, if no other reason. But holy shit, watching this again and I can't seem to muster the slightest enthusiasm for the movie based on that trailer.

I think this is kinda a waste of his talents,
as in anyone can do this, but hey,
gotta break into the big time somehow.
Can't do TV forever.
good luck.
He has a good cast to work with.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think this is kinda a waste of his talents,
as in anyone can do this, but hey,
gotta break into the big time somehow.
Can't do TV forever.
It's almost a bigger opportunity than he's earned, at least on paper. He just has such a good relationship with Marvel, I guess combined with the loyal geek audience they know he'll bring. I hope it's enough.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Joss should round up his geek squad to fill out the minor rolls. I would love to see Nathan Fillion in Avengers.