The battle of the Century! Super Street Fighter 2 vs Samurai Shodown 2

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Only things I find superior on 3rd Strike is more characters and running on a newer board so graphics are a little better. Ease of use, depth of gameplay, easier to use during net lag, and fun factor I prefer Garou. BTW I do like 3rd Strike and play it all the time, but Garou is just a better game.
I play Garou from time to time but I would like it to be more responsive in some cases when you want to throw projectile after a punch kick combo.. I haven't played 3rd strike but read a lot of reviews about it.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I would go for SS2 but then again, the only SF games i have are SF2 and SF Alpha 2 on the snes.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
It is kinda weird everyone went with Turbo 3 on GMC because it does drop frames(makes reversals 1-2 frames and some other combo videos very annoying if not impossible to make).

Kinda funny when the game is slowed down it becomes less zoning and more footsies as you can react to fireballs easier.

US Turbo 2/Japan Turbo 3 has been the tournament standard forever, not sure how they picked that number. US tournaments actually used to be run faster than that at times back in the day. It was also common for a while to have free select in JP tourneys, I wonder what happened to that. I don't mind GMC T3, but on some stages it's kind of unreasonable. Try playing a Claw player on Gief stage for instance.

I actually think that the higher speed is pretty necessary for certain characters to even be played. Try going back and playing against a good Guile in CE or Sagat in SSF2. It's nearly impossible to beat zoning if reactions aren't a consideration.

Last edited:

snkjoe

New Challenger
I would pick samurai showdown 2 over the ssf just the game play an music to samurai showdown 2 was just soo cool

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I used to love it, but I think I still prefer Champion just because I don't like the speed. Strangely enough, Hyper Fighting is the only CPS-1 Street Fighter that I own. I think the main reason is that I played Street Fighter 3 for years and got used to the slower pace. I was actually kinda shocked when then didn't add a turbo mode over 3 iterations.
SF3 is already fast enough as it is (it's slower than Turbo though). Champion is slightly faster than The World Warrior.

Which has the best deeper gameplay and and the best graphics?
I think Super Street Fighter 2 is a lot simpler to just pick up and play but with worst graphics and sound....
Super Turbo is better than Super (better character balance without invincible dragon punches, and Guile doesn't dominate in Turbo like he does in Super).
As far as SSF2 vs Samurai Shodown 2, I would pick SSF2 as the best (but not the home ports of it).
The best 2D fighters would go roughly in this order:

Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Street Fighter III: Double Impact
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (maybe)
Street Fighter III: New Generation
Last Blade 1 & 2

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
SF3 is already fast enough as it is (it's slower than Turbo though). Champion is slightly faster than The World Warrior.

Super Turbo is better than Super (better character balance without invincible dragon punches, and Guile doesn't dominate in Turbo like he does in Super).
As far as SSF2 vs Samurai Shodown 2, I would pick SSF2 as the best (but not the home ports of it).
The best 2D fighters would go roughly in this order:

Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Street Fighter III: Double Impact
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (maybe)
Street Fighter III: New Generation
Last Blade 1 & 2
No KOF love here?
I agree Last Blades should be in there.
I would also put in your list Vampire Savior CPS2 and
I have to aquire myself a 3rd Strike CPS2

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
No KOF love here?
I agree Last Blades should be in there.
I would also put in your list Vampire Savior CPS2 and
I have to aquire myself a 3rd Strike CPS2
I'm not a huge fan of KOF myself (apart from certain characters, like Geese Howard and Rugal). I like the fireball/dragon punch/sonic boom/flask kick gameplay the SF games have, and KOF doesn't really have that. And it's much harder (and rarer) to get the opponent dizzy in KOF (compared to Street Fighter), so combos don't play as big a role in KOF as in the SF series (it's harder to do combos without dizzies, anyway). And with the SF2 and SFIII series, it's much easier to determine which is the best game in the series (SF2 Turbo or SSF2 Turbo, and SFIII: Third Strike, respectively).

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I'm not a huge fan of KOF myself (apart from certain characters, like Geese Howard and Rugal). I like the fireball/dragon punch/sonic boom/flask kick gameplay the SF games have, and KOF doesn't really have that. And with the SF2 and SFIII series, it's much easier to determine which is the best game in the series (SF2 Turbo or SSF2 Turbo, and SFIII: Third Strike, respectively).
I think you are right for which are the best of the best.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Clearly none of you have played Ninku.

I'm looking for the F3 cart myself.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I don't mind GMC T3, but on some stages it's kind of unreasonable. Try playing a Claw player on Gief stage for instance.

About the time ST hit every arcade near me was disappearing and I didn't own a 3DO (so no home port) which together caused me to never get into ST when it was current. That coupled with being turned off by the original SSFII's presentation left me basically skipping those two entries entirely.

So coming from someone with little experience of ST, how does playing against a particular combination of characters/stages change shit up?

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
So coming from someone with little experience of ST, how does playing against a particular combination of characters/stages change shit up?

Stages in ST have slightly variable speeds, it's a very weird thing. On Zangief stage, it's like playing the game at 1.3 or 1.5x speed. Claw (Vega in US/Balrog in JP) has the fastest movement speed in the game, and a move that results in a very hard to block left-right mixup. Claw's base speed plus the stage speed difference makes it next to impossible to react to anything he does. It might be hard to see if you're not experienced with ST, but compare
to
(match starting at 1:06)

Compare the walkspeed of Claw moving forward at the beginning of the first round in each video.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Stages in ST have slightly variable speeds, it's a very weird thing.

Wow, I had no idea about that issue prior to it being mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the explanation. I would assume it isn't intentional. Has it ever been explained why it happens, either from a software or hardware point of view? Do any of the ST home ports act this same way?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
About the time ST hit every arcade near me was disappearing and I didn't own a 3DO (so no home port) which together caused me to never get into ST when it was current. That coupled with being turned off by the original SSFII's presentation left me basically skipping those two entries entirely.

The home ports of SSF2 (Genesis and SNES) had things like reused sprites from the SNES SF2 Turbo. So the home ports were even more of a rehash than the arcade SSF2 (which had all the graphics redrawn).
Can't see why Capcom didn't hold out until they could release SSF2 Turbo on the SNES (instead of SSF2). But they were probably planning to release SSF2 Turbo on SNES, after SSF2.

I haven't played it enough to really judge the character balance (which is the best balance of all the SF2 games, so that makes it hard to determine). Not counting the SSF2 versions of the fighters, the weak version of Akuma is the best fighter (obviously), probably fireball/dragon punch fighters like Ryu and Ken after that, but they have vulnerable dragon punches, which is a big change. Guile is weakened in SSF2T, compared to the way he dominated SSF2. Zangief is an underrated character in any SF game- he is one of the best fighters, if controlled by an expert.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The real question is, are you comparing the 4 button version of SamSho2 to SSF2 or the 6 button version of play? Playing SS2 as a 6 button fighter totally changes the game.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The real question is, are you comparing the 4 button version of SamSho2 to SSF2 or the 6 button version of play? Playing SS2 as a 6 button fighter totally changes the game.
I always thought the Street Fighter games had too many buttons. I mean, why have 6 buttons when you've only got 4 fingers (or 5, including the thumb)? Maybe it would be better to have a separate button in Samurai Shodown for the heavy slash and heavy kick. But you can still perform the same function by pressing the two slash or kick buttons together.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I had in mind the 4 button version.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I always thought the Street Fighter games had too many buttons. I mean, why have 6 buttons when you've only got 4 fingers (or 5, including the thumb)? Maybe it would be better to have a separate button in Samurai Shodown for the heavy slash and heavy kick. But you can still perform the same function by pressing the two slash or kick buttons together.

When playing SF I always use 5 fingers especially for Raging Demons. If you aren't using 5 fingers you are limiting your ability to pull off certain moves/combos.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Wow, I had no idea about that issue prior to it being mentioned in this thread. Thanks for the explanation. I would assume it isn't intentional. Has it ever been explained why it happens, either from a software or hardware point of view? Do any of the ST home ports act this same way?

It's definitely not intentional, it was fixed in the Dreamcast port. It's one of three things in the game that really need to be fixed, balance changes aside. Stage speed, along with removing Honda/Chun stored super, and Dhalsim/Ken's inability to reversal super. I can't think of any technical reason why the speed difference exists.

the weak version of Akuma is the best fighter (obviously), probably fireball/dragon punch fighters like Ryu and Ken after that, but they have vulnerable dragon punches, which is a big change. Guile is weakened in SSF2T, compared to the way he dominated SSF2. Zangief is an underrated character in any SF game- he is one of the best fighters, if controlled by an expert.

Akuma is definitely the best, he's banned in all tournaments for that reason. Claw is hands down the best character, followed by Dhalsim and Boxer.

When playing SF I always use 5 fingers especially for Raging Demons. If you aren't using 5 fingers you are limiting your ability to pull off certain moves/combos.

Just like the Neo layout, SF is playable using just the thumb and three fingers. To Raging Demon, you only need three: use your index finger for LP, then ring on HP, and thumb on LK.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just like the Neo layout, SF is playable using just the thumb and three fingers. To Raging Demon, you only need three: use your index finger for LP, then ring on HP, and thumb on LK.

That's a really slow Raging Demon. Best way is to double tap the LP with middle then index, thumb on LK and pinky or ring on HP.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
That's a really slow Raging Demon. Best way is to double tap the LP with middle then index, thumb on LK and pinky or ring on HP.

Geez, you guys have MUCH different ways of doing it. I do it all with my index finger. I suck at SF games though and this may be the reason why lol.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
We're comparing fighters? In that case, Street Fighter (3rd Strike especially) always wins with Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers in the US) coming in a close second. I haven't put enough time into SS2 though so I am definitely biased.

shut the fuck up you dumb hobo.