The bicycling thread.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Does anyone just ride their bike without using a GPS to collect data anymore?

Me being me...I am a data junkie. I wish all to shit that I had a power meter but they ave very expensive ($1K+).

I like seeing my rides, miles, climbs, progress. Real time data like distance, heart rate, cadence are also important to me. It all allows me to set goals, to challenge myself, to keep track of my efforts.

I can see its not for everyone...but for me, it's all part of the entire big picture.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Data can be used as motivation for some people. I've also had days where I really push myself to beat my "high score"... I guess that's the gamer in me.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Time and distance is a good measure to keep your goals and track your progress, other than that inclinations are a factor but not as important if you are in fact doin the same route over and over.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I just have a speedometer/odometer on my bike. Guess I'm an old fart.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I already told you I did, someone else said the same thing, are you trying to stir shit up? Let people do their thing, geez...

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I already told you I did, someone else said the same thing, are you trying to stir shit up?

Huh? What's wrong with you lately? Ever since you changed your avatar, you haven't been acting right.

Edit: My last reply was not a reply to you. Maybe that's the source of your confusion.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I just have a speedometer/odometer on my bike. Guess I'm an old fart.

I had one for my first two seasons as well...used a Sigma 1609. It worked very well.

My honest, main reason for replacing the Sigma? It took the mileage/speed off of the front wheel and offered no heart rate. Doing trainer sessions in the horrible, horrible winter months, I had no real time way of telling what my HR was or how fast/far I was going (t's hard to do a HR zone target session with no real time #'s). The Garmin pulls the cadence and speed from a single unit that goes on the back chain-stay. Problem solved. Sold the Sigma to a buddy...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Maybe there was a misunderstanding. Everyone enjoys things in their own way, there's no wrong or right in riding your own way. As for me, I don't like being docile nor complacent to douchery, never have, never will, maybe I'm a little fed up from this place, maybe I need a break...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Bicycling is homo shit.

What the fuck is wrong with the water in Chicago?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Maybe there was a misunderstanding. Everyone enjoys things in their own way, there's no wrong or right in riding your own way. As for me, I don't like being docile nor complacent to douchery, never have, never will, maybe I'm a little fed up from this place, maybe I need a break...

Gotta say man...Jibba's reply was pretty easy going...I was trying to place the anger as well...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The only disgrace here is you as a mod and a human being...

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I thought I'd put this info up...

Before I bought my Garmin, I ran Strava on an iPhone (I've ran it on a 4s, 5 and 5s). It was all cool beans until I rode a friend who had a garmin 500. Comparing his ride data to mine, the miles were the same the but the elevation was way off.His Garmin would register far more elevation than mine. We did a 75 mile ride and his Garmin had registered 2451' vs my iPhone showing 1516'...that's a huge difference.

i compared strava with a Magellan and it was off too. ( dont remember but not to bad i think) Stava being less elevation. I found strava or anything on a phone to be more accurate according to topography maps but it was not as far off as that garmin, 1000 feet is a huge difference. like something is broken.

I use gps just to kind of keep track. i first started using mapmyride just to try and draw designs out of a course i ride it was fun. it also help find new trails and routes .
the only reason i did this ride was for the look of it.
https://www.strava.com/activities/251798751/overview

when i go on longer rides i don't use gps or bring my phone. I just dont want to deal with the weight. Stuff does not seem heavy but after hours in the saddle everything weighs a ton. I used to have a cat eye computer that i didnt even want to carry on the bike anymore.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Dude, you're unstable.

He thinks he's mad
Too unstable
Kicking in chairs and knocking down tables
In a restaurant
In a dead-end town
Call the police there's a madman around
Running down
Underground
To a dive bar
In a west-end town

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
He thinks he's mad
Too unstable
Kicking in chairs and knocking down tables
In a restaurant
In a dead-end town
Call the police there's a madman around
Running down
Underground
To a dive bar
In a west-end town

Hahahaha, West. End. Girls.

Love that song.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I have a cateye on my bike. Only thing I ever look at is the time. Occasionally if I do a very long ride, I'll see how far I went.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I need a break from douchebags, that much is certain...

That is one thing you will never get...unless you move to some secluded island somewhere and stop interacting with everyone. Even then...you may find yourself being a douche from time to time...

To douche is human my friend...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
hey don't mean to be internet retarded, but I'd like to post my bike and gear.

what's the best site? I keep using photobucket but that site makes me feel like a piece of shit.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You can upload your pics right from your computer or phone to the site, when you click on the pic banner there's a tab that says "From Computer" browse through and upload it. I like Photobucket though, that's all I use.