The Comic Book Thread

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I've been wanting to read Alan Moore's take on Supreme for a while now but the TPB is LONG out of print. I thought I might have lucked out at the flea market a few weeks back when I saw a vendor selling trades for Judgement Day but no sign of a Supreme trade. :annoyed:

I'm sure I wouldn't have much trouble sourcing the original issues but I've started to warm up to the concept of trades after years of insisting on only floppies. :emb:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've been wanting to read Alan Moore's take on Supreme for a while now but the TPB is LONG out of print. I thought I might have lucked out at the flea market a few weeks back when I saw a vendor selling trades for Judgement Day but no sign of a Supreme trade. :annoyed:

I'm sure I wouldn't have much trouble sourcing the original issues but I've started to warm up to the concept of trades after years of insisting on only floppies. :emb:
Just a heads up, but there are TWO Moore Supreme TPBs. If you're going to get them, make sure you get both. As for floppies, I think you could easily spend as much getting the first 4 or 5 issues as it would cost you to get both TPBs if you can find them.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
20150928_225205.jpg

Found this at a swap meet for 1 dollar. Wasn't in my collection of 90's re-prints. Busted some of the old EC horror collection out and starting re-reading after years in storage. Vault of Horror always was my favorite of the three.

I have a few of these reprints myself. These were some great stories. My favorite is the one is the about the guy on death row - I think it was from a Vault of Horror - who's waiting on a witness to come forward that will exonerate him...
Spoiler:
It turns out that the witness - the only one that can prove his innocence - is the CO that flips the switch to the electric chair.

I kinda want to get the EC collections that I saw in my LCS not too long ago.

I'd also recommend the book "The Horror, The Horror". It talks about the EC horror comics, the CCA, and how it pretty much killed the genre. It's a great read, and the artwork is fantastic - a lot of the covers had to be censored back in the day, and they show the original and the censored version side-by-side.

EDIT: I came across this last page of a story. Chilling shit, but its SOOOO good! The setup is that kids were asking people in the neighborhood about capital punishment and how electrocution works, then they see the kids carrying a casket through the streets and they can't figure out why.

vaultofhorror33_016dkyf.jpg

Last edited:

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Just a heads up, but there are TWO Moore Supreme TPBs. If you're going to get them, make sure you get both. As for floppies, I think you could easily spend as much getting the first 4 or 5 issues as it would cost you to get both TPBs if you can find them.

I was aware there are two volumes, not sure why I went with the singular instead of the plural there. :emb:

I appreciate Moore's skill as a writer but I never cared for how every story was essentially the same one with deconstruction and tearing everything down. A friend of mine years back told me this was the complete opposite of that and even Moore himself said he played it up this way as an apology for some of his earlier darker works. Of course I'm having about as much luck tracking these down locally as I am the JLA/Avengers Hardcover. :p

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
So whats the deal with the Secret Wars aftermath and this "All new, all different" Marvel?

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
So whats the deal with the Secret Wars aftermath and this "All new, all different" Marvel?

It's just Marvel rebooting their main continuity with bits and pieces from their alt-universe continuities.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Less rebooting and more reconfiguring

One More Day is still in effect

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
This weeks pulls -

TMNT 50 - had to for the Jack Kirby/Kevin Eastman cover
Paper Girls #1 -indie looked interesting
Dr Strange #1- Bachalo is on art soo..... yeah _ Strange + Bachalo = BUY
Grabed Doom Patrol from dollar bin issues #50-56 its Grant Morrison plus Biz, Jamie Hewlett and more.

This months Heavy Metal had Kirbys Lords of Light published in in so if your into Jack Kirby grab a copy. Its a Kirby 70s color cover so you'll know it.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
I dug Paper Girls, I'd also recommend Codename: Baboushka as it's a spy comic but a little bit humorous

Jason Pearson started his kickstarter for a new Body Bags series and I backed it( like I did with the Battle Chasers game ) cause I love his art and that series

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I dug Paper Girls, I'd also recommend Codename: Baboushka as it's a spy comic but a little bit humorous

Jason Pearson started his kickstarter for a new Body Bags series and I backed it( like I did with the Battle Chasers game ) cause I love his art and that series

Ill check it out thanks!
Ill check out the Kickstater too.
I love battle chasers and would like the game but I didn't back it as I think Joe can get this made with a bat of the eye with out KS and the Price points for the rewards were a lil crazy IMO, Im an art book guy and the teir was too much. Also I got the Joe Mad art book for darksiders and its a thin as a comic. Love his work but he's a lil unreliable

PS- I picked up the Rumble TPB this week, really enjoying it great art great pacing

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The newest G.I. Joe VS. Transformers is a Destro spotlight with his origin! Would recommend scooping it up.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Ill check it out thanks!
Ill check out the Kickstater too.
I love battle chasers and would like the game but I didn't back it as I think Joe can get this made with a bat of the eye with out KS and the Price points for the rewards were a lil crazy IMO, Im an art book guy and the teir was too much. Also I got the Joe Mad art book for darksiders and its a thin as a comic. Love his work but he's a lil unreliable

PS- I picked up the Rumble TPB this week, really enjoying it great art great pacing

Yeah I had assumed since Udon Pub was doing the Art of Darksiders it would be great but it was lacking, I know Joe was the selling point for those games but I know there was a lot of stuff he and others contributed that didn't make it into those books

The newest G.I. Joe VS. Transformers is a Destro spotlight with his origin! Would recommend scooping it up.

I'll keep a eye out for it

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The current Transformers vs. G.I. Joe book is probably my favorite monthly comic at the moment. Tom Scioli, who did G0dland and American Barbarian, has infused his 1970s Kirby acid trip style into a book so bizarre, it's alienated and deeply angered a large portion of both fandoms it's meant to target. It's glorious.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I found this blog article about objective and subjective reality in occult comic books and it was a really good read. It’s pretty lengthy, but the guy is intelligent and writes well:

http://martianvision.blogspot.com/2006/07/sorcerors-swamp-things-sandmen-and_24.html

One of the most interesting observations the author made is about a Dr. Strange story where Eternity destroyed the Earth and every person on it. Strange convinced Eternity to create an exact copy to replace the original, but the cosmic entity didn’t have the power to undo his original destructive action, so, technically, because this story was never ret-conned, EVERYBODY alive on Earth in the Marvel Universe, except for Strange, is a clone, not the original. For practical purposes, that obviously doesn’t matter, but it is kind of bizarre when you think about it.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
One of the most interesting observations the author made is about a Dr. Strange story where Eternity destroyed the Earth and every person on it. Strange convinced Eternity to create an exact copy to replace the original, but the cosmic entity didn’t have the power to undo his original destructive action, so, technically, because this story was never ret-conned, EVERYBODY alive on Earth in the Marvel Universe, except for Strange, is a clone, not the original. For practical purposes, that obviously doesn’t matter, but it is kind of bizarre when you think about it.

Don't be surprised if the brain-trust at Marvel decides to retcon Secret Wars and use this as an explanation.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I found this blog article about objective and subjective reality in occult comic books and it was a really good read. It’s pretty lengthy, but the guy is intelligent and writes well:

http://martianvision.blogspot.com/2006/07/sorcerors-swamp-things-sandmen-and_24.html

Thats actually pretty kool.

Don't be surprised if the brain-trust at Marvel decides to retcon Secret Wars and use this as an explanation.

Yeah I stopped reading marvel about 5 or ten years ago I can't even remember the year its been so long -basically when Joe Q decided to "revamp spideys life". I enjoyed dark avengers for a bit but I don't recognize or enjoy the stories they tell now so i leave it for the new readers to enjoy instead of being an angry fanboy.

I buy the occasional book for art like the new Dr Strange with Ramos for a single issue and then I head back to other books.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

I haven't read anything after the 2015 secret wars. Fuck them for shitcanning the ultimate universe.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just got the final two Dragon Ball Viz 3-in-1 manga books preordered, covering the final six chapters through the end of the Buu Saga.

The last one won't be out until next September but oh well. There are four in total that aren't released yet. One comes out in December, then one in March, then June, and finally September.

Then I'll have pretty much all of Dragon Ball. I have the complete Funimation blue brick set of Dragon Ball, the complete Dragon Box sets of Z, the first four seasons of Kai on DVD, the two green brick seasons of GT, all four DB films, all the Z films/ovas/specials (including bootleg sets of the Dream 9 Toriko/One Piece/DBZ crossover, Episode of Bardock, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, and Return of Son Goku and Friends), and even the awful live action film.

Just need them to release Buu Saga Kai and then Super in America.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Just got the final two Dragon Ball Viz 3-in-1 manga books preordered, covering the final six chapters through the end of the Buu Saga.

The last one won't be out until next September but oh well. There are four in total that aren't released yet. One comes out in December, then one in March, then June, and finally September.

Then I'll have pretty much all of Dragon Ball. I have the complete Funimation blue brick set of Dragon Ball, the complete Dragon Box sets of Z, the first four seasons of Kai on DVD, the two green brick seasons of GT, all four DB films, all the Z films/ovas/specials (including bootleg sets of the Dream 9 Toriko/One Piece/DBZ crossover, Episode of Bardock, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, and Return of Son Goku and Friends), and even the awful live action film.

Just need them to release Buu Saga Kai and then Super in America.

Man ! You got alotta Ballz !!