The Comic Book Thread

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Read the first issue of the new Doom Patrol and I found it to just be simply ok, they are trying really hard to be the buzzwords they've been marketing Doom Patrol as for years "weird" "kooky" "Morrison"

I'll give it a couple more issues

Yeah i agree I just finished Doom Patrol 1 as well and Hellblazer 1 which they are attempting the same kinda fan service from jump. I dont understand why Helbalzer isnt in the 'Young Animals' imprint and why the YA imprint exists just use Vertigo. I was told Vertigo wasnt being used but I jus saw them advertising The Verito imprint. bigger question is probaly why I spend the 499 on old Fav titles I should jus let them go and keep enjoying new titles that havent been retconed to death, dont get me wrong writers and artists can still do good work on these restarted universes but theirs too much too weed through sometimes.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Yeah i agree I just finished Doom Patrol 1 as well and Hellblazer 1 which they are attempting the same kinda fan service from jump. I dont understand why Helbalzer isnt in the 'Young Animals' imprint and why the YA imprint exists just use Vertigo. I was told Vertigo wasnt being used but I jus saw them advertising The Verito imprint. bigger question is probaly why I spend the 499 on old Fav titles I should jus let them go and keep enjoying new titles that havent been retconed to death, dont get me wrong writers and artists can still do good work on these restarted universes but theirs too much too weed through sometimes.

DC is really into Gerald Way and basically gave him his own imprint, they bet the farm that there's a lot of people loved Umbrella Academy

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
DC is really into Gerald Way and basically gave him his own imprint, they bet the farm that there's a lot of people loved Umbrella Academy

Ah yes, That makes sense. UA was quite popular buzz wise when it was out but I always had the feeling more people were aware of it and what it was about instead of having reading it, I could be wrong though cause wasnt there some expensive edition released a few years back ?

-SD-

Camel Slug
I've read a bit of Batman here and there over the years but I've never actually owned any GNs or anything. I wasn't sure where to start so I ordered the new Owls Trilogy box set by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. The first book, The Court of Owls, is incredible... the art is amazing and the story drew me in so much I read it in one sitting. I though the part with the landscape and upside down pages was a very clever way of portraying Batman's state of mind...

I'm halfway through The City of Owls and it's just getting better. I left off just as Batman's about to enter into a brawl with an armoured Owl with some interesting family claims....

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I've read a bit of Batman here and there over the years but I've never actually owned any GNs or anything. I wasn't sure where to start so I ordered the new Owls Trilogy box set by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. The first book, The Court of Owls, is incredible... the art is amazing and the story drew me in so much I read it in one sitting. I though the part with the landscape and upside down pages was a very clever way of portraying Batman's state of mind...

I'm halfway through The City of Owls and it's just getting better. I left off just as Batman's about to enter into a brawl with an armoured Owl with some interesting family claims....

Batman can be difficult to get into because of how the series was written and collected over the years, often with multiple writers working on the bat titles at the same time. Since DC insists on only collecting runs of individual writers or specific plotlines you end up missing several issues in the collection and it can lead to the overall reading experience feeling disjointed as a result. To my knowledge the No Man's Land and Knightfall arcs are collected pretty well, and I'm a big fan of the Shadow of the Bat collections they're currently putting out (a rare example of a Batman run written more or less by one person) Gotham Central is also fantastic, although that's a batman-light book. Anyways I agree that much of what Snyder did within the New 52 was at least a lot of fun, I'm irked that the Zero Year arc basically overwrites Year One (though they've since fixed that with Rebirth as far as I know) but it's still some damn fine comic writing overall. If you enjoy Snyders writing I'd also be one of the few people who'd recommend his Swamp Thing run, his creator owned work is also good, American Vampire and Severed and that one he did with Sean Murphy at Vertigo

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
American Vampire is a fantastic read, highly recommend. It's the only other Snyder work I've read outside of Batman. I need to broaden my horizons and read more of his stuff.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Ah yes, That makes sense. UA was quite popular buzz wise when it was out but I always had the feeling more people were aware of it and what it was about instead of having reading it, I could be wrong though cause wasnt there some expensive edition released a few years back ?

I think there was, Umbrella Academy was one of those series at Dark Horse that got a lot of press which is weird given how certain titles there get press while others do not like it would seems Dark Horse is only Hellboy and Umbrella Academy

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
After reading more of Christopher Priest's Deathstroke I'm all for him writing Batman again

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Nice. It's about time Marvel realized that the people pushing for this kind of thing don't actually buy comics.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
reading the uncanny x-force at the moment. really enjoying it. highly recommend for those who like the age of apocalypse and x-men second coming.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
reading the uncanny x-force at the moment. really enjoying it. highly recommend for those who like the age of apocalypse and x-men second coming.

That series was a lot of fun, I keep kicking myself for not picking up the omnibus when it was still in print, definitely pick up Wolverine and the X-men as it tied into Wolverine's time with X-force and continues the story of Genesis

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
That series was a lot of fun, I keep kicking myself for not picking up the omnibus when it was still in print, definitely pick up Wolverine and the X-men as it tied into Wolverine's time with X-force and continues the story of Genesis

i was actually reading wolverine and the x men, don't know why i stopped. will look back into it. thanks for reminding me.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Comic book artist and illustrator Bernie Wrightson has died following a long battle with brain cancer, his wife announced via his official website Sunday. He was 68.

Wrightson was best known for co-creating the DC Universe character Swamp Thing with writer Len Wein and for illustrating the Swamp Thing comic in the early '70s. His many other projects included a comic book version of the 1982 Stephen King-penned anthology horror film Creepshow and a 1983 edition of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, for which he spent seven years creating around 50 illustrations. Wrightson also worked as a conceptual artist on a number of films including the original Ghostbusters, Galaxy Quest, and Creepshow director George A. Romero's zombie movie Land of the Dead.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm going to re-read the Roots of the Swamp Thing collection I have that covers his work on the series.