The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Who cares what you think? Your line of argument is embarrassing.

you’re a grown man talking like a Qanon cultist.

You quoted the wrong person, norton sounds like the cultist.

Fucking lol at the idea that oh yeah, let's just do 2020 forever so that we don't have a flu season.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Who cares what you think? Your line of argument is embarrassing.

you’re a grown man talking like a Qanon cultist.
I'm a grown man with children and for the last few years a job that deals with people who have had zero choice but to stand shoulder to shoulder with people on a daily basis throughout a global pandemic. There's no conspiracy to my thinking, only practicality.

It's easy to forget, when you work in an office environment (as I did for most of my career) how most of the world makes their living. We're not as far off the Morlocks and the Eloi as you might think. Working from home is a short term plaster - the service industry won't go on forever if nobody is going anywhere or doing anything to require any services.
I disagree.

Covid has laid a definite roadmap.

Even the Epidemiologists in the CDC had no idea how preventable Influenza is. They even were taking it for granted. They were warning of the "Twindemic" which never happened because Influenza is preventable.
For once the UK is a few weeks ahead of the US on an issue. Expect any murmur of flu prevention to be completely canned within a minute of a sniff of normality.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
We pissed off China and have suffered economically, we have now pissed off France mid way through a free trade deal so who knows what's going to happen with that now. Never mind the iron ore price which has recently taken a dive so there goes that. We're almost 2 years deep into an economic shit fest of lockdowns and terrible pandemic management and the feds go and fuck everything up on the world stage to boot! God damn...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You quoted the wrong person, norton sounds like the cultist.

Fucking lol at the idea that oh yeah, let's just do 2020 forever so that we don't have a flu season.
A 2020 of people in red states ignoring lockdown and spreading a disease that is much much harder than the flu to treat, because of political partisanship.

Time to attach health mandates to federal funding like it was the drinking age or speed limits.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm a grown man with children and for the last few years a job that deals with people who have had zero choice but to stand shoulder to shoulder with people on a daily basis throughout a global pandemic. There's no conspiracy to my thinking, only practicality.
You’re trying to argue against prevention, for childish reasons.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
We pissed off China and have suffered economically, we have now pissed off France mid way through a free trade deal so who knows what's going to happen with that now. Never mind the iron ore price which has recently taken a dive so there goes that. We're almost 2 years deep into an economic shit fest of lockdowns and terrible pandemic management and the feds go and fuck everything up on the world stage to boot! God damn...
If you’re not making money on iron ore, tell ScoMo to put the iron in storage until prices return. No need to give away natural resources for cheap. Obviously no one has a direct line to Scott outside of the concierge desk at the resorts, but you get the point - iron ore is a problem because the government allows it to be.

StevenK

10 Year Member
You’re trying to argue against prevention, for childish reasons.
It isn't childish to want to avoid seeing my kids go through the stunted existence they've endured for the last 18 months all over again for an illness that affects them even less, if that were possible, than covid. That doesn't even begin to touch upon the national debt accumulated for these measures.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It isn't childish to want to avoid seeing my kids go through the stunted existence they've endured for the last 18 months all over again for an illness that affects them even less, if that were possible, than covid. That doesn't even begin to touch upon the national debt accumulated for these measures.
“They’ve endured” please don’t make me laugh. And your expressed worry for the abstract concept of national debt is about as fantastical as worrying about Santa Claus.

the only ones who are saying “forever 2020” are the ones who never followed along with the rules in the first place, the ones who felt entitled to spread covid far and wide.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
let's just do 2020 forever so that we don't have a flu season.
Not what I wrote.

I'm saying that influenza has been proven to be a preventable disease. So there is a blueprint to figure out how to mitigate it particularly among vulnerable people.

I'm sorry, but if you are going to be visiting or working at a nursing home during the height of the flu season, expect to wear a mask

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A 2020 of people in red states ignoring lockdown and spreading a disease that is much much harder than the flu to treat, because of political partisanship.

Time to attach health mandates to federal funding like it was the drinking age or speed limits.

Now, the former confederate states are mad that the federal goverment is rationing monoclonal antibody serum that they have run into short supply.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Now, the former confederate states are mad that the federal goverment is rationing monoclonal antibody serum that they have run into short supply.
“The Dems told them to get vaccinated knowing full well that Trump supporters would say no, and die, and that this would allow the Dems to win more rigged elections!!1!” - some dude on Reddit

StevenK

10 Year Member
“They’ve endured” please don’t make me laugh. And your expressed worry for the abstract concept of national debt is about as fantastical as worrying about Santa Claus.

the only ones who are saying “forever 2020” are the ones who never followed along with the rules in the first place, the ones who felt entitled to spread covid far and wide.
So far this abstract concept has driven a 4bn cut to foreign aid and an entirely new tax they've called the Health and Social Care tax. And I assure you the retail sector worries a great deal about santa claus.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So far this abstract concept has driven a 4bn cut to foreign aid and an entirely new tax they've called the Health and Social Care tax. And I assure you the retail sector worries a great deal about santa claus.
Those things only matter to the people who need them to matter for their own benefit.
do you think those things matter to kids? No, kids will adapt to the world that is presented before them, just like they adapted to the world when the internet arrived, when civil war broke out, etc. Your status quo bias is already anachronistic.

and for the record, I find each and every libertarian objectivist opinion sociopathic and not genuine.

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
Not what I wrote.

I'm saying that influenza has been proven to be a preventable disease. So there is a blueprint to figure out how to mitigate it particularly among vulnerable people.

I'm sorry, but if you are going to be visiting or working at a nursing home during the height of the flu season, expect to wear a mask

Then expect no one to work in long term care anymore. Honestly. Let's see where that takes us. Who would sign up for a job where you need to wear a mask for a quarter of the year minimum for middling wages. It is hard work for not great pay, especially the RNs where there are plenty of better jobs in the medical field for more money and less work. But I'm sure your solution would be to pump more money in, further bastardizing the labor market.

Long care facilities already used droplets precaution measures when flu was being transmitted among residents/patients/staff, so this idea that you seem to have that we just figured out how to prevent flu because of covid is flat out bizzare or ill-informed, so the only thing I'm left with is that you seem to think eternal masking and lockdown culture is the blueprint.

Show me how I'm wrong.

lithy

20 Year Member

Basically, someone knows what is best for you at this point. Best to submit now or face the consequences.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I find each and every libertarian objectivist opinion sociopathic and not genuine.
Well, they're often genuine in their sociopathy. Libertarians are sometimes kind of interesting, but I find the objectivists downright fascinating. The bizarre myopic worldview devoid of nuance or mitigating factors of any kind, held by this confluence of autism along with the half-intelligent who are in childlike retreat from a reality they find opressive and completely overwhelming. That childlike retreat is kind of the intersection point between libertarians and objectivists.

I'm a huge fan of absurdity, so I love it when an objectivist decides it's time to get their opinions out there. Libertarian objectivist, even better. Obviously I am talking about the cult members, not the cult leaders. Because yeah, the leaders are sociopath grifters and just sickening.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Then expect no one to work in long term care anymore. Honestly. Let's see where that takes us. Who would sign up for a job where you need to wear a mask for a quarter of the year minimum for middling wages. It is hard work for not great pay, especially the RNs where there are plenty of better jobs in the medical field for more money and less work. But I'm sure your solution would be to pump more money in, further bastardizing the labor market.

Long care facilities already used droplets precaution measures when flu was being transmitted among residents/patients/staff, so this idea that you seem to have that we just figured out how to prevent flu because of covid is flat out bizzare or ill-informed, so the only thing I'm left with is that you seem to think eternal masking and lockdown culture is the blueprint.

Show me how I'm wrong.
I"m saying we have a proof of concept and need to expand on it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Honestly. Let's see where that takes us. Who would sign up for a job where you need to wear a mask for a quarter of the year minimum for middling wages. It is hard work for not great pay, especially the RNs where there are plenty of better jobs in the medical field for more money and less work.

All health care facilities (Hospitals, Doctor offices, Dialysis clinics) will probably require staff and visitors to mask up during flu season. And regular testing too.

I remember when my daughter was in the NICU. 30 incubators in a room the size of a classroom. 15 nurses, 3 physicians and sometimes a dozen or more visitors. Nobody wearing a mask. Those days may be done for.

There was once a time when doctors refused to wash thier hands. Even after Semmelweis proved that handwashing reduced infant mortality from pupal fever 15% to 2% doctors refused to take the inconvenience.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Steven, at this point, what are you arguing?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
All health care facilities (Hospitals, Doctor offices, Dialysis clinics) will probably require staff and visitors to mask up during flu season. And regular testing too.

Our local hospital was doing this anyway during flu season long before Covid. They also banned children from visiting.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I remember when my daughter was in the NICU. 30 incubators in a room the size of a classroom. 15 nurses, 3 physicians and sometimes a dozen or more visitors. Nobody wearing a mask. Those days may be done for.

There was once a time when doctors refused to wash thier hands. Even after Semmelweis proved that handwashing reduced infant mortality from pupal fever 15% to 2% doctors refused to take the inconvenience.

Do you expect similar at schools once the Covid vaccine is required to attend public school? (Rather will schools do masking during flu season or is that something we’ll only see if an outbreak of way Covid occurs?)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Haha.

I hate your answer, but I think it underlies a lot of peoples’ frustration: we simply don’t know what is going to happen next and we haven’t for the past 18 months.

Once the 5-11 year olds can get vaccinated and it’s mandated for public schools (2022-2023) I really think the lock downs will have to end, assuming no new Ebola level of danger variant.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
As for me I’m just waiting to see who quits at my work on Oct 1. once we go to mandatory Vaccine or Weekly testing. And we aren’t offering testing (yet) at my work. You’ll have to go elsewhere to get it done. What a hassle.