The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Believe me, we've tried. $5 an hour wage increase, with a big sign advertising it out front, even. CNA isn't a fun job and retaining them is difficult, especially during the pandemic. You also have to be certified, a 3 week course (which we even PAY applicants to take, whether they stay with us or not). Unless they really mess up, we can't afford to lose anymore CNAs, even the ones with really poor attendance (my employer is a little too generous with sick days too, which doesn't help) they're the backbone that keeps the place going. The worst part is that the dependable CNAs that do show up then have to work mandated 12-16 hours to cover for the bad ones, barely get any sleep, then, they get burned out and quit too. If I had CNA certification, they'd be yanking me from my activities department to work the floor every day (they do have me feed during meal times, because I did get my optional certification for that), that's why one of my former co-workers quit, and, recently, our receptionist, one of our best and most valued employees. They kept pulling her to the floor, for weeks, to be a CNA, instead of doing her real desk job, that she left being a CNA for, and she finally had enough.
Toxic work environment.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Lithy hire me at your brewery. I’ll mop the floor and take partial payment in flour, yeast, and dried grains or legumes.
You’re asking mercy of Lithy? Wow.

For whatever it is worth, at one point I offered to let LoneSage move into my basement and meant it at least to the somewhat tongue in cheek extent that I knew he would probably have a hundred better choices before living with me but I'd offer the same to almost any long time poster here.

It won't be pretty but if it's between that and homelessness, I'd give someone a couch to sleep on, why not.

I'm sure duf can do better than being my assistant though, especially if he is packing up to leave California I'd suggest at least a dozen states before telling him to come to Pennsylvania.

Take some time off duf, everyone else did last year.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
For whatever it is worth, at one point I offered to let LoneSage move into my basement and meant it at least to the somewhat tongue in cheek extent that I knew he would probably have a hundred better choices before living with me but I'd offer the same to almost any long time poster here.

It won't be pretty but if it's between that and homelessness, I'd give someone a couch to sleep on, why not.
Based and good guy lithy-pilled.

I don't remember that offer anyway.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My employer is finally doing a Covid booster shot clinic (residents on the 11th, the rest of us fooks on the 12th) and I filled out my consent form this morning. Hard to believe that about 30% of my co-workers still refuse to get vaccinated (99% of the residents are).

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
My employer is finally doing a Covid booster shot clinic (residents on the 11th, the rest of us fooks on the 12th) and I filled out my consent form this morning. Hard to believe that about 30% of my co-workers still refuse to get vaccinated (99% of the residents are).
Fire them.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I dearly hope LA and NYC fire all their unvaccinated city workers. Especially the Police.

I think I am eligible for a booster, but it’s only been 6 months since I got my 2nd shot. Am considering getting the booster before I’m unemployed.

lithy

20 Year Member

I'm going to need permission for Mrs. moe first.

Fire them.

I still can't tell if you're coming at it from an angle of idealism or naivete. Who will they get instead? What do you do with the residents?

These were the same people that worked in that facility all of 2020 with no vaccine while the white collars got to hang out at home and you're going to tell them they should be fired now? The arrogance.

For whatever it is worth, the national averages are somewhere between 70-80%, so it should be little surprise that 20-30% of any workforce is not vaccinated.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Unvaccinated staff are suspected to be one of the biggest liabilities for nursing home residents.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
These were the same people that worked in that facility all of 2020 with no vaccine while the white collars got to hang out at home and you're going to tell them they should be fired now? The arrogance.

Yes, they brought that shit into nursing homes and caused massive outbreaks.

@M

20 Year Member
Fire them.
Can't, the Union would have kittens and the fired employees would probably sue for discrimination too. We couldn't survive losing that large a chunk of employees at once anyway, especially being short-staffed as it is. Bizarrely, from my observations, LPNs and RNs make up the majority of the ones who refuse to get vaccinated.
I think I am eligible for a booster, but it’s only been 6 months since I got my 2nd shot. Am considering getting the booster before I’m unemployed.
The info sheet they had at work today stated you're okay to get the booster if you were vaccinated 6+ months ago (I had both of my Moderna shots in January/February).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

In 2020 when there existed no vaccine this was inevitable.

Certainly some staff engaged in more high risk behavior than others, however, we’re still talking about a highly communicable virus where many (most?) infected persons are completely asymptomatic.

“Essential” workers should have went on a general strike last year and told management to fuck themselves.

The vaccines also don’t prevent the virus to the degree I think we’d like.

lithy

20 Year Member

The alternative being?

Again, massively arrogant thinking from you in your firm belief that just with enough control, with enough compliance, that you would be able to contain a highly transmissible respiratory disease.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Can't, the Union would have kittens and the fired employees would probably sue for discrimination too.
over 100 years of vaccine mandate Supreme Court precedence says they would get fucked and owe legal fees.

@M

20 Year Member
We've been lucky so far. Several of my co-workers have come down with Covid, but, none of our residents. Our sister facility wasn't so fortunate, they had an outbreak, 27 residents got it, and 8 of them died (yeah, at that age, they almost certainly all had other health conditions too, but, still).

@M

20 Year Member
over 100 years of vaccine mandate Supreme Court precedence says they would get fucked and owe legal fees.
But we also live in idiotic times of unprecedented butt hurt. 😉

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Again, massively arrogant thinking from you in your firm belief that just with enough control, with enough compliance, that you would be able to contain a highly transmissible respiratory disease.

Am I arrogant for thinking that they should be fired for refusing to wash thier hands after using the toilet?