The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Who said it was fake? How throughly unsurprising that someone typing "Your right." could possibly misconstrue my post.

But also...ok.

My point of view is our government’s are too ill equipped, disorganised and in many cases stupid to pull of a mass campaign to control the population out of some malicious motive to repress civil freedoms.

Also, just because every country is doing similar measures to control the spread of the virus, does not mean it was an international effort to exert freedom control. It’s individual countries taking their own scientific risk based approachs to the virus and coming to similar conclusions.

This shit is killing people, masks, lock downs, restrictions are all the last thing everyone including governments want. It’s about limiting deaths, not eliminating freedoms.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
My point of view is our government’s are too ill equipped, disorganised and in many cases stupid to pull of a mass campaign to control the population out of some malicious motive to repress civil freedoms.

Also, just because every country is doing similar measures to control the spread of the virus, does not mean it was an international effort to exert freedom control. It’s individual countries taking their own scientific risk based approachs to the virus and coming to similar conclusions.

This shit is killing people, masks, lock downs, restrictions are all the last thing everyone including governments want. It’s about limiting deaths, not eliminating freedoms.
I think they're too ill-equipped in terms of strategy and convincing people to care about the safety of their neighbors / community / etc. I don't know if most modernized countries are lacking the resources to control an outbreak. The problem is the citizens. They either don't care or have some "mask and vaccine bad" mentality that they can't get over.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
My point of view is our government’s are too ill equipped, disorganised and in many cases stupid

Agree!

to pull of a mass campaign to control the population out of some malicious motive to repress civil freedoms.

Hasn't stopped them from trying though.

Yes, turns out every country is plagued by the bureaucrat. Little tyrants each looking for their own fiefdom. No need for collusion when you're already working toward the same goal.

Then it is quite the convenience that one precedes the other.

lithy

20 Year Member
I think they're too ill-equipped in terms of strategy and convincing people to care about the safety of their neighbors / community / etc. I don't know if most modernized countries are lacking the resources to control an outbreak. The problem is the citizens. They either don't care or have some "mask and vaccine bad" mentality that they can't get over.

A contrived way of admitting that too many people have (or at least desire) too much individual liberty for your taste.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
A contrived way of admitting that too many people have (or at least desire) too much individual liberty for your taste.
Individual liberty is great when you aren't constantly only expressing it by being an obstinate, selfish child. What happened to adults? Why didn't this generation get any?

I read a tweet from a guy who started by saying he was old enough to remember polio. He was 6 at a time it was still around in the US and was killing people en masse. As a kid, multiple friends of his either died or got put in iron lungs. Scientists developed a shot, the goverment said everyone needed to take it, everyone did, and polio got stamped out. Problem fucking solved and I have gone my entire life without ever thinking or worrying about polio. There weren't any anti-vaxxers or conspiracy theorists making up crazy bullshit reasons why they didn't want the shot. There used to be a sense of all of us in this together, and everyone stepped up to do the right thing for US society at large.

The thing that irritates me about your la-la libertarian fantasyland bullshit is that you don't acknowledge any kind of social contract. Neighbors, communities are meaningless to you. Pragmatism is the enemy. Your idea of liberty is doing whatever you want at all times, and if everyone else burns and dies, you could give less than one half of one shit. Because always adhering to this idealized thought experiment is infinitely more important than ever once taking a single half step out of your way.

Libertarians are as useless as the people who dress up and pretend to be Klingons, speaking the language and all that bullshit. Equally self-indulgent and divorced from reality to zero purpose.

lithy

20 Year Member
Individual liberty is great when you express it the way I approve of.

Cool, cool.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Gotta keep the vaccine money gravy train rolling one way or the other, these new variants are handy for that, yet any of these variants haven't been any deadiier than the original. imagine if it would make headlines around the world everytime a new strain of flu comes around. Two postive things about the Corona circus have been:

a) I have noticed that ordering the weeks groceries online and having them delivered to you doorstep is quite handy and cuts down on impulse purchases

b) This storm in a tea cup 'crisis' has been great in showing who's flaky and who's not. For example this extremely urbanite bugman type I know (a start-up entrepreneur, yuck) who basically goes to the country only for Midsummer and even then complains about the mosquitos and lack of elecronic gadgets has gone full prepper collapse-of-society type and weirdest of all, my father seems to be afraid to leave their home anymore. He apparently became near hysterical when my mother met up with my sister's family one day and the children weren't vaccinated. Then when I asked him about this why for example my sisters in-laws, who are in much closer and frequent contact with the plagueweilder children, haven't gone down with this deadly disease, he start babbling about face diapers and distancing. I'm seriously worried about his mental health tbh.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The amount of people fleeing South Africa with Covid is alarming. multiple international flights out of SA had over 20+ people testing positive.

Anyways. If people are interested. B.1.1.529
  • Unusual spread of mutations across genome. 30> variants in the spike protein.
  • profile is very different from other circulating VOC/VOI
  • Some mutations well characterized with known impact to transmissibility and immune evasion
  • Many other mutations are rarely observed, and significance unknown....

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm hoping this omicron is a step towards the virus causing less severe illness like I remember them saying is common with virus mutations.

I have no real reason to think this yet, I'll admit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
There used to be a sense of all of us in this together, and everyone stepped up to do the right thing for US society at large.

Do you really think this is true?

We seem as selfish today as we always have been.

The Republican Party, and it’s adherents, have certainly gone completely off the rails in the last 40 years using populist culture issues to create an absolute monster (all the while avoiding any substantive policy decisions.) I mean other parties have too…but the anti-vax, alternative “facts,” “everything is a lie” mentality is bonkers.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Individual liberty is great when you express it the way I approve of.

Cool, cool.
Yeah, wooosh. No surprise you hand wave that all away. Individual liberty is great when held by an adult who understands that sometimes acting for the common good is in their own lomg term interests anyway. When the person in question is not a petulant child more interested in contrarianism for its own sake in the abstract than in rational, pragmatic decision-making and viewing reality on its own terms.

edit: lomg term. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I read a tweet from a guy who started by saying he was old enough to remember polio. He was 6 at a time it was still around in the US and was killing people en masse. As a kid, multiple friends of his either died or got put in iron lungs. Scientists developed a shot, the goverment said everyone needed to take it, everyone did, and polio got stamped out. Problem fucking solved and I have gone my entire life without ever thinking or worrying about polio. There weren't any anti-vaxxers or conspiracy theorists making up crazy bullshit reasons why they didn't want the shot. There used to be a sense of all of us in this together, and everyone stepped up to do the right thing for US society at large.

My stepgrandfather was trying to tell me that Polio was caused by DDT and the vaccine was just a cover up.

...................................But he still got his covid vaccine.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I think he was admitting that too many people are fucking morons.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The Republican Party, and it’s adherents, have certainly gone completely off the rails in the last 40 years using populist culture issues to create an absolute monster (all the while avoiding any substantive policy decisions.) I mean other parties have too…but the anti-vax, alternative “facts,” “everything is a lie” mentality is bonkers.

Anti vaxxers used to be well split between the two major parties.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I'm hoping this omicron is a step towards the virus causing less severe illness like I remember them saying is common with virus mutations.

I have no real reason to think this yet, I'll admit.
No you could actually be right. Jennifer Rohn (scientist london uni) was saying on TV that early data says it’s better at transmission, but the bad viral effects are weaker.

In my head, if you are a virus you want to spread but maybe not kill your host so you can reinfect them later.