The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Their tails curl, they get more complex (and darker) coats, they vocalize more. It's very strange to see the similarities of domestic dogs.

There's basically zero chance of domesticating apes. Chimps in particular will rip your balls off (literally) once they hit puberty. I think people take domestication too literally. Even if you're dealing with a placid dog or cat, that doesn't mean they won't revert to their instincts when they're faced with fight-or-flight scenarios. A chihuahua can go full-on wolf and fuck you up. Dog trainers will tell you to never lay down with your dog - in other words, you should never be on a lower point, since that is basically body language for submission to your dog. You need to always be above them in the pack hierarchy, both for general obedience purposes and to prevent werewolf-dog scenarios.

The unfortunate trend to humanize our animals. It's not cruel to put a dog in its place, its actually healthy for him/her to know it's place. Makes them feel secure and integrated properly.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'm kinda surprised that no one here has mentioned that they or someone they know has a confirmed case...

The unfortunate trend to humanize our animals. It's not cruel to put a dog in its place, its actually healthy for him/her to know it's place. Makes them feel secure and integrated properly.

They're very perceptive and sitting when them is fine, IMO - they'd do the same with another dog, and you are a dog to them. But yeah, people don't really take the responsibility to learn how to correct their pets. They end up half-heartedly yelling (which just confuses the dog) or hitting them (which is never productive).

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
The n95 is suppose to be the ones that work. Not those surgical ones you see people wearing all over the place.

This isn't true. The N95's are more protective for situations where the disease becomes aerosolized. (bronchospopy, intubation, extubation, etc). The disease does not naturally aerosolize. The disease is droplet - a standard surgical mask is as effective as any N95 mask.

Respiratory, ICU, and anasthesia staff should have N95 masks, for all others a standard cloth or surgical mask is as efficient, and in some cases, better, as they are a more universal fit and don't require any sort of fit-testing.

The best defense is for people with the disease to wear a mask which will absorb their droplets when they cough or sneeze. An ancillary defense is for civilians to wear a mask as droplets can remain airborne for up to 3 hours in undisturbed environments.

If you are worried about contracting this disease - ANY face covering will improve your protection. A mask made of a t-shirt offers good protection against droplets.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
This isn't true. The N95's are more protective for situations where the disease becomes aerosolized. (bronchospopy, intubation, extubation, etc). The disease does not naturally aerosolize. The disease is droplet - a standard surgical mask is as effective as any N95 mask.

Respiratory, ICU, and anasthesia staff should have N95 masks, for all others a standard cloth or surgical mask is as efficient, and in some cases, better, as they are a more universal fit and don't require any sort of fit-testing.

The best defense is for people with the disease to wear a mask which will absorb their droplets when they cough or sneeze. An ancillary defense is for civilians to wear a mask as droplets can remain airborne for up to 3 hours in undisturbed environments.

If you are worried about contracting this disease - ANY face covering will improve your protection. A mask made of a t-shirt offers good protection against droplets.

Funny how the authorities were like "No, masks do not help at all." X_x

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I'm just going by what was some infectious disease doctor said on the Joe Rogan show. He said the surgical ones keep you from spreading but don't protect you from what you inhale. He actually broke it down. Almost made it sound like they are pointless.

I'll take your word for it Mike.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Here is my take on masks.
Just from my experience from being around them and the couple minutes research I've done since this ordeal started.
Some good resources:

https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/newsroom/news/2020/03/n95-masks-explained

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/face-masks.html

PPE Personal Protective Equipment
HCP Health Care Provider

Even a N95 or whatever mask will not stop all airborne particles.

They stop around 95% of basic dust sized particles.

It will catch most large droplets and water vapor.

Bacteria and germs are smaller than dust and viruses are even smaller than them.

Masks with a valve in the center make it easier for the wearer to exhale. May stop most water vapor but not airborne containments.

Might be acceptable for a caregiver but not advisable for a known infected patient.

n95.png
Procedure masks, which are typically used for isolation purposes, may not provide protection against splashes and sprays. Should stop most droplets from patients. If care givers are wearing them around known infected patients maybe they should wear a face mask as well.

Possibly good for know infected and untested patients if supplies allow.

procedural.png

If both care workers and infected wear masks while in close proximity it greatly reduces the chances of transmission.

Current CDC guidance that not everybody wear a mask while in public is because there are not enough masks to go around, especially for caregivers. ( They said so much at today's and previous days briefings if you read between the lines) once more masks are available it will revise the decision and is currently evaluating it.

Yes wearing a piece of cloth like a bandana will be almost as effective as several face mask types. Maybe slightly less so than the procedural mask.

What is it most effective for is stopping droplets water born contaminates from the person wearing it to other people. (If you lightly dampened it maybe put a very small amount of isotropic alcohol that might catch some more material and kill it maybe somebody should look into that) similar to how you can put oil on an air filter.

HCP use of homemade masks:
In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort.

However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face.

bandana images.jpg
scarf.jpg
scarf 3.jpg

Personally I would wear one at this point but all I see for sale are ones online from Asian counties.

I have a paint and pesticide mask I purchased for work and only used a couple times, i may start wearing that.

At that point I think you should also start wearing tight fitting glasses and gloves...dunno

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Not a double post a longer explanation
Just citing more sources,
if you don't like to read please move on or skip it:

Here is my take on masks.
Just from my experience from being around them and the couple minutes research I've done since this ordeal started.
Some good resources:

PPE Personal Protective Equipment
HCP Health Care Provider

N: This is a Respirator Rating Letter Class. It stands for “Non-Oil” meaning that if no oil-based particulates are present, then you can use the mask in the work environment. Other masks ratings are R (resistant to oil for 8 hours) and P (oil proof).

95: Masks ending in a 95, have a 95 percent efficiency. Masks ending in a 99 have a 99 percent efficiency. Masks ending in 100 are 99.97 percent efficient and that is the same as a HEPA quality filter.

.3 microns: The masks filter out contaminants like dusts, mists and fumes. The minimum size of .3 microns of particulates and large droplets won’t pass through the barrier, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC.)

Material: The filtration material on the mask is an electrostatic non-woven polypropylene fiber.

Valve: Some disposable N95 masks come with an optional exhalation valve. “The presence of an exhalation valve reduces exhalation resistance, which makes it easier to breathe (exhale,)” according to the CDC.

For information on how to protect yourself during the COVID-19 outbreak, contact your local health care professionals, visit the CDC and World Health Organization (WHO.)

Even a N95 or whatever mask will not stop all airborne particles.

They stop around 95% of basic dust sized particles.

It will catch most large droplets and water vapor.

Bacteria and germs are smaller than dust and viruses are even smaller than them.

Masks with a valve in the center make it easier for the wearer to exhale. May stop most water vapor but not airborne containments.

Might be acceptable for a caregiver but not advisable for a known infected patient.

View attachment 56147

Possibly good for know infected and untested patients if supplies allow.

Conventional Capacity Strategies
Use facemasks according to product labeling and local, state, and federal requirements.
FDA-cleared surgical masks are designed to protect against splashes and sprays and are prioritized for use when such exposures are anticipated, including surgical procedures.
Facemasks that are not regulated by FDA, such as some procedure masks, which are typically used for isolation purposes, may not provide protection against splashes and sprays.

View attachment 56148

If both care workers and infected wear masks while in close proximity it greatly reduces the chances of transmission.

Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of Facemasks

Audience: These considerations are intended for use by federal, state, and local public health officials; leaders in occupational health services and infection prevention and control programs; and other leaders in healthcare settings who are responsible for developing and implementing policies and procedures for preventing pathogen transmission in healthcare settings.

Purpose: This document offers a series of strategies or options to optimize supplies of facemasks in healthcare settings when there is limited supply. It does not address other aspects of pandemic planning; for those, healthcare facilities can refer to COVID-19 preparedness plans.

Surge capacity refers to the ability to manage a sudden, unexpected increase in patient volume that would otherwise severely challenge or exceed the present capacity of a facility. While there are no commonly accepted measurements or triggers to distinguish surge capacity from daily patient care capacity, surge capacity is a useful framework to approach a decreased supply of facemasks during the COVID-19 response. Three general strata have been used to describe surge capacity and can be used to prioritize measures to conserve facemask supplies along the continuum of care.

Conventional capacity: measures consist of providing patient care without any change in daily contemporary practices. This set of measures, consisting of engineering, administrative, and personal protective equipment (PPE) controls should already be implemented in general infection prevention and control plans in healthcare settings.
Contingency capacity: measures may change daily standard practices but may not have any significant impact on the care delivered to the patient or the safety of healthcare personnel (HCP). These practices may be used temporarily during periods of expected facemask shortages.
Crisis capacity: strategies that are not commensurate with U.S. standards of care. These measures, or a combination of these measures, may need to be considered during periods of known facemask shortages.

The following contingency and crisis strategies are based upon these assumptions:

Facilities understand their facemask inventory and supply chain
Facilities understand their facemask utilization rate
Facilities are in communication with local healthcare coalitions, federal, state, and local public health partners (e.g., public health emergency preparedness and response staff) regarding identification of additional supplies.
Facilities have already implemented other engineering and administrative control measures including:

Reducing the number of patients going to the hospital or outpatient settings
Excluding HCP not essential for patient care from entering their care area
Reducing face-to-face HCP encounters with patients
Excluding visitors to patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19
Cohorting patients and HCP
Maximizing use of telemedicine

Facilities have provided HCP with required education and training, including having them demonstrate competency with donning and doffing, with any PPE ensemble that is used to perform job responsibilities, such as provision of patient care

Current CDC guidance that not everybody wear a mask while in public is because there are not enough masks to go around, especially for caregivers. ( They said so much at today's and previous days briefings if you read between the lines) once more masks are available it will revise the decision and is currently evaluating it.

Yes wearing a piece of cloth like a bandana will be almost as effective as several face mask types. Maybe slightly less so than the procedural mask.

What is it most effective for is stopping droplets water born contaminates from the person wearing it to other people. (If you lightly dampened it maybe put a very small amount of isotropic alcohol that might catch some more material and kill it maybe somebody should look into that) similar to how you can put oil on an air filter.

HCP use of homemade masks:
In settings where facemasks are not available, HCP might use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19 as a last resort.

However, homemade masks are not considered PPE, since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face.

View attachment 56149
View attachment 56150
View attachment 56151

Personally I would wear one at this point but all I see for sale are ones online from Asian counties.

I have a paint and pesticide mask I purchased for work and only used a couple times, i may start wearing that.

At that point I think you should also start wearing tight fitting glasses and gloves...dunno

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Hi eclypse, :keke::-J

I C U lurking :drool:

this is meant to be an example of what might be a helpful post based on known facts and science type stuff bro ----- :loco::cool::oh_no:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
What good does wearing a face mask do to a healthy person when your eyes are exposed? Better stock up on cheaters too before the toilet paper bandits scoop em.

If everyone starts wearing gloves, you're gonna have to stock up cause for them to be effective you're gonna have to deglove properly and put a fresh pair on everytime you do something. Wearing the same nasty ass pair of latex gloves around all day is just gonna spread more germs.

Wash your fucking hands.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
What good does wearing a face mask do to a healthy person when your eyes are exposed? Better stock up on cheaters too before the toilet paper bandits scoop em.

If everyone starts wearing gloves, you're gonna have to stock up cause for them to be effective you're gonna have to deglove properly and put a fresh pair on everytime you do something. Wearing the same nasty ass pair of latex gloves around all day is just gonna spread more germs.

Wash your fucking hands.

Wearing gloves is only recommended when actively dealing with an infected person - then doff and thoroughly clean hands. Frequent hand-washing is the way to go.

Mask / eyes exposed: yes, still susceptible via eyes. The mask still performs 2 important functions in addition to providing some protection for nose and mouth: (A) it acts as a reminder and physical blocker to touching your own mouth / nose, (B) it acts as a visual reminder to others to keep a distance and cover their cough. (yes not everyone, there are always going to be assholes)

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Wearing gloves is only recommended when actively dealing with an infected person - then doff and thoroughly clean hands. Frequent hand-washing is the way to go.

Mask / eyes exposed: yes, still susceptible via eyes. The mask still performs 2 important functions in addition to providing some protection for nose and mouth: (A) it acts as a reminder and physical blocker to touching your own mouth / nose, (B) it acts as a visual reminder to others to keep a distance and cover their cough. (yes not everyone, there are always going to be assholes)

Yeah I see where you're coming from, but you're giving people too much credit. The instant that mask causes an itch, a finger is gonna be under that mask and bam, it's useless. I live in a city with a large Chinese population (46%), so seeing folks wearing masks was common even before Covid. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone wearing a mask and then pull it up onto their hair to take a phone call, then pull it back down...rendering it useless

Using it as a deterrent to keep people away I understand, but when you have PPE in such short supply, you're doing a greater disservice to the medical community and people in general by not leaving those masks for those who really need it.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I touch my face alot. I never realized how much I touched my face till this virus shit came along.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm just going by what was some infectious disease doctor said on the Joe Rogan show. He said the surgical ones keep you from spreading but don't protect you from what you inhale. He actually broke it down. Almost made it sound like they are pointless.

I'll take your word for it Mike.

This is correct. a virus less than 0.3 microns. That's for a large one. The inner lining is meant to prevent the spreading of fluids, but it does not prevent everything from coming in.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
This is correct. a virus less than 0.3 microns. That's for a large one. The inner lining is meant to prevent the spreading of fluids, but it does not prevent everything from coming in.

Now some studies have shown that it's possible for viruses to spread via being airborne say like influenza (the cold) but the vast majority of it is from from these larger water droplets.

I know this isn't the flu but it does sound like it has some similarities.

People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm

Infectious influenza particles were present in fine aerosol exhaled breath samples collected from infected individuals, even when they were not coughing or sneezing.

Understanding how influenza is transmitted is key to limiting the impact of both seasonal disease and future influenza pandemics. An ongoing concern is that influenza may be transmitted from infected individuals not simply by coarse (>5 μm) respiratory particles, but also by fine (≤5 μm) respiratory particles that can persist in the air for prolonged periods.

https://www.jwatch.org/na45981/2018/02/07/airborne-influenza-transmission

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
God that European 1...

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
China's official response today to explain why their numbers seem low given numbers being reported elsewhere - they are not counting or disclosing asymptomatic cases as the WHO has not officially declared asymptomatic person's can spread the disease.

Sometimes they are brilliant tacticians and sometimes you get this.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
WHO is merely a CCP puppet, so that made sense in a stupid way.