The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm committed to growing everything out, I wanna come out of this pandemic looking like bigfoot.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Do supermarkets in America have temperature scanners at the entrance yet to show people don't have a fever?

This is not an airtight method to show if someone is a risk. A lot of people have temperatures that run higher than average, and if the device beeps or flashes a red/yellow color just because it's a woman's time of the month, then there could be panic in the rest of the line.

The method comes off as sexist, but seeing where it came from, not surprised.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
This is not an airtight method to show if someone is a risk. A lot of people have temperatures that run higher than average, and if the device beeps or flashes a red/yellow color just because it's a woman's time of the month, then there could be panic in the rest of the line.

Wife works at a skilled nursing facility. For them 99°F was the cut off. I had to ask honestly if that was even considered a fever. It seems like most consider 97-99 the average range.

Although 98.6°F is also not average body temperature anymore but it's the number I have stuck in my head, just like there are only 4 oceans, who cares about the Southern Ocean.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Wife works at a skilled nursing facility. For them 99°F was the cut off. I had to ask honestly if that was even considered a fever. It seems like most consider 97-99 the average range.

Although 98.6°F is also not average body temperature anymore but it's the number I have stuck in my head, just like there are only 4 oceans, who cares about the Southern Ocean.

99 degrees as a cut-off feeds into the lizard people conspiracy.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

The cutoff they use for fever is 37.3 degrees Celsius, which comes out to 99.14 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am also a naturally hot guy but surprisingly come in at 35 to 36 degrees, never gotten a hot reading. If it read that I had an abnormally high temperature I wouldn't fight back, I'd get the test to see if I have it.

I assume what they do is if you have a fever maybe some calls are made and you take the test. You test negative for the test, no problem go on back with your life. You test positive for the it, well, it's a good thing they found out before the person could spread it some more!

I would say people have largely been out and about for the past 37 days (in BJ), and despite China fudging the numbers there has yet to be a second wave. I honestly don't give a fuck if entrances to businesses have temperature checks. Everyone's gotta work together to beat this. Two days ago three people were found out to have coronavirus not far from where I live.

THAT SAID, who even knows how accurate the goddamn temperature checkers are anyway.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
who even knows how accurate the goddamn temperature checkers are anyway.

Have you ever read Orwell's 1984? I ask because it sounds like you're kind of living in it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Have you ever read Orwell's 1984? I ask because it sounds like you're kind of living in it.

The past few weeks I've gotten some messages from friends who are party members asking me, "wtf is Trump doing slandering China? Do Americans really support him? also Taiwan and Hong Kong are China's" and I throw it back to them that the Republican party wants to make America a one-party state, that they call any news that isn't Fox News fake, that they don't want a free-thinking American populace, and all they really care about is remaining in power.

Totally flew over their heads and they ate it up.

I'm just here for the book and movie deal once I get back to Hamburgercountry.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Totally flew over their heads = half the people on the conversation added LoneSage to the secret police foreigner blacklist. Redacted!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Totally flew over their heads = half the people on the conversation added LoneSage to the secret police foreigner blacklist. Redacted!

I learned 8 years ago it's just impossible to talk politics with Chinese people so now I troll them like so. There's no critical thinking here so it does fly over their heads. I've already been noticed by the government when I visited Tian'anmen Square on the anniversary wearing a shirt with the hammer and sickle on it (it was a wifebeater I got in Vietnam, I always wore it in China before without problem). Next thing I know like five cops are on the scene and ask to see my passport and ask me a bunch of questions. Then they tell me I can't wear that shirt anymore, and they give me another shirt for free to put on over the one I'm already wearing.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I've heard this conspiracy theory, but don't at all find it plausible. Even a rogue government understands suicide...

I don't know where the bioweapon idea comes from. You'd think that dumb people would be smart enough to at least think of the real world operating like in movies. Where the bad guys only releases the virus as a weapon after they have already given themselves the antivirus. Then the good guys have a race against time to get the antivirus and kill the bad guys.

Except that it is already known that China had been working with bat coronavirus to try to create an AIDS vaccine. So it got out before it was completed... or was it? I think about that one made for TV movie where the only way to innoculate the public against a virus in a pandemic was to release the antivirus as a modified chicken pox. I'm surprised the Chinese trollfarm isn't trying to convince the world that everyone is now cured of AIDS.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Chinese discovered doesn't mean it originated there...as soon as they checked on the west coast there were cases...that were even listed as no outside contact...you don't get tested for it even showing up with symptoms...what could the motive behind something like that be??? Just maybe the normal one for government?( hold trump responsible as if he is supposed to have magical god powers??_ sorry about parenthesis*)_ and now do math yourselves while also considering how they still don't have accurate
tests....
Screenshot_2020-04-17-20-14-51.pngScreenshot_2020-04-17-20-13-38.png

Does anyone KNOW that more people are dying from communicable respiratory illness the normal#4 cause compared to say last year or big?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Does anyone KNOW that more people are dying from communicable respiratory illness the normal#4 cause compared to say last year or big?

I did, I knew it.
Preach on brother!

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

If it’s a woman’s time of the month you should be panicking regardless.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
Hoping everyone is doing well and taking care of themselves. Honestly, this pandemic has my nerves and anxiety all messed up. I live with and take care of my mother who has been battling lung cancer for a couple of years, but is in remission now. I only leave the house to get supplies maybe once a week if even that now and wear mask everytime. Hope I don't bring this virus home and my Mom catches it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Hoping everyone is doing well and taking care of themselves. Honestly, this pandemic has my nerves and anxiety all messed up. I live with and take care of my mother who has been battling lung cancer for a couple of years, but is in remission now. I only leave the house to get supplies maybe once a week if even that now and wear mask everytime. Hope I don't bring this virus home and my Mom catches it.

You're doing the right thing. It's critical she doesn't catch the virus, since she is high risk.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
"Luc Montagnier"

Remember Luc Montagnier? Sure, you do. He's the Nobel Laureate whose identification of the virus that causes AIDS garnered him plaudits, laurels, and, of course, the Nobel Prize in Medicine. Unfortunately, since winning the Nobel Prize, from a scientific standpoint, Montagnier's been on a downward spiral. Sadly, it didn't take long after his Nobel acceptance speech for disturbing signs of crankery and quackery to appear. For instance, Montagnier published a paper that implied that DNA could teleport, using this study, whose results were almost certainly the result of contaminants in Montagnier's PCR reactions, as support for the principles of homeopathy. On another occasion, Montagnier appeared in an HIV/AIDS denialist film and appeared to be saying that HIV can be cleared "naturally" with diet and supplements. Worse, of late Montagnier has been turning his talents to the treatment of autistic children. Indeed, he's run highly unethical study of long term antibiotics as a treatment for autism. His low point came a month ago, when he actually presented his work at that yearly autism "biomed" quackfest, Autism One. Let's face it. As a scientist, it's really hard to go from winning the Nobel Prize to the ignominy of presenting to a quack conference in such a short period of time, but somehow Montagnier managed it. I thought that was as low as Montagnier could fall.

https://scienceblogs.com/insolence/...a-new-low-age-of-autism-rallies-to-defend-him

June 2012 article. I get it, you're a skeptic, but the problem is that you don't have the right toolkit to be able to detect bullshit... probably too far gone into the confirmation bias rabbit hole to be able to bootstrap yourself out of it, too.

eclypse

Banned
Last edited by a moderator:

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
*some idiot ramblings*

Yes you can make that shit up. "Haha I'm going do doubt all these fucking scientist?" you're doing precisely that.

Be honest, when confronted with my post did you A: not read it, instantly labeled it fake; B: read it, and immediately tried to justify Luc's "findings" as persecution by Big Pharma; or C: considered that maybe he's a quack regardless of whether or not the virus is actually manmade.

If you answered A or B, reread my post about confirmation bias...

"I guess some are so thick headed they dont believe 2+2=4 or that the sky is blue!"