The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
And your proposed solutions is? Florida has about average or better than average vaccination rates and prioritized vaccines by age back at the beginning of 2020 with a 65+ approach. At this point, vaccines are widely available and anyone that hasn't gotten a shot has done so of their own volition and whatever their motives now accept the consequences. So why should wyo have to continue to live a life different from what he wants because of a decision made by others? Have any of your extended family gotten vaccinated now that others have gotten sick?

The suggestion that anything he said equates to wishing people dead is quite frankly malicious. People died every day before covid and of course it is a tragedy for the family involved but usually it does not require a day of grieving from the rest of the population. He just said the covid drama is over in Florida. I'm envious of everything except the August heat. Moving outside of Pittsburgh improved things significantly but it isn't perfect. Our day care has zero kids wearing masks despite the state wide mandate. Our school however is having kids wear masks and requiring a doctor's note to gain an exemption while more rural districts have just said parent's permission will suffice to circumvent the mandate.

Lastly, adjusted for population and specifically population by average age, Florida's death rate is middle of the pack at worst.
What more malicious: implying that you can do more to protect people around you, or wantonly behaving in a manner that increases risk of harm to other people?

People die every day - sure, that is obvious. But people don’t need to die of Covid19.

And Covid19 is not as treatable as the flu, it is not something that the older members of the population can simply recover from with a bowl of chicken soup and rest.

Florida 2020 is not a compelling point. Any state where people are voluntarily refusing to be vaccinated, while living day to day like it is 2019, is going to be a high risk environment. Just because one person’s number has not come up yet does not mean the risk has decreased. And DeSanctis encouraging people to behave in risky manners increases the risks. Florida 2021 is a result of bad state leadership.

I cannot make people mitigate risks to my standard, so you can do as you wish. All I can do is try to convince you to take more precautions for the sake of people around you.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
What more malicious: implying that you can do more to protect people around you, or wantonly behaving in a manner that increases risk of harm to other people?

Are you suggesting wyo is out there sick and intentionally trying to get more people sick? Any activity increases the risk of harm, so you are going to have to define your threshold for 'wanton', otherwise never get in a car again and live by your own mantra. Safetyism is a crippling disease that should be eradicated.

People die every day - sure, that is obvious. But people don’t need to die of Covid19.

False. People will die of covid, now and for quite possibly the rest of our lives. The quantity may reduce significantly but when people still die of plague or brain eating amoebas or insert whatever rare condition or disease where deaths number in the single digits annually. Someone still dies. You may think the current rate is unacceptable, fine. I don't.

And Covid19 is not as treatable as the flu, it is not something that the older members of the population can simply recover from with a bowl of chicken soup and rest.

Almost like we should get more monoclonal antibody treatments to Florida, not less as political retribution.

Florida 2020 is not a compelling point. Any state where people are voluntarily refusing to be vaccinated, while living day to day like it is 2019, is going to be a high risk environment. Just because one person’s number has not come up yet does not mean the risk has decreased. And DeSanctis encouraging people to behave in risky manners increases the risks. Florida 2021 is a result of bad state leadership.

High risk for who? Vaccinated people are overwhelmingly safe from serious hospitalization and death. People who choose to remain unvaccinated are not asking for your protection.

I cannot make people mitigate risks to my standard, so you can do as you wish.

Simply untrue. At least if I incorporate you into the political groupings at large that indeed do attempt to make me mitigate risk to someone else's standard.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My main point is that any business that runs excess capacity for no (or at least an extraordinary) reason is going to be out of business in short order.

Hospitals should not be a business.

You have excess capacity for a reason.

But if you want to look at other sectors where it is common to have excess capacity, look at hotels. Most hotels operate at 50% capacity most of the time and rake it in when they get an influx.

lithy

20 Year Member
Hospitals should not be a business.

You have excess capacity for a reason.

But if you want to look at other sectors where it is common to have excess capacity, look at hotels. Most hotels operate at 50% capacity most of the time and rake it in when they get an influx.

Almost too predictable on the first sentence.

On the second, yes I agree, hospitals seemed to carry a 10-20% excess capacity pre-covid, and many continue to do so.

And on the final, all too easy to dismantle comparison. 2019 average daily hotel occupancy rate was actually more like 65%. And that's daily average, since you know when a hotel can expect an influx? Pretty much every weekend when they near 100% capacity.

It's almost as if that's how it is planned.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Are you suggesting wyo is out there sick and intentionally trying to get more people sick? Any activity increases the risk of harm, so you are going to have to define your threshold for 'wanton', otherwise never get in a car again and live by your own mantra. Safetyism is a crippling disease that should be eradicated.

False. People will die of covid, now and for quite possibly the rest of our lives. The quantity may reduce significantly but when people still die of plague or brain eating amoebas or insert whatever rare condition or disease where deaths number in the single digits annually. Someone still dies. You may think the current rate is unacceptable, fine. I don't.

Almost like we should get more monoclonal antibody treatments to Florida, not less as political retribution.

High risk for who? Vaccinated people are overwhelmingly safe from serious hospitalization and death. People who choose to remain unvaccinated are not asking for your protection.

Simply untrue. At least if I incorporate you into the political groupings at large that indeed do attempt to make me mitigate risk to someone else's standard.

It is my understanding that we mostly eradicated many diseases through vaccination, such as small pox and polio. This required a deliberate and unbending effort to vaccinate the masses. And we are better for it. The vacillation of political figures and politically charged figures to drum up uncertainty and doubt on the direction of vaccinations, as if this were an episode of America's Got Talent, has caused more harm than good. When you say "someone will die, and that I am okay with it," I see a person saying "people will die, but they are not me nor my family, and I am okay with it."

Vaccinated people are still getting sick. While overwhelmingly they are not dying from the disease, they are still at risk. That risk includes children who carry the vaccine from their classmates who grow up in antivax homes. That risk includes coming in contact with people who are culturally indoctrinated to fear and distrust the government, even when it comes to health and public safety. Minimizing the situation is not the correct perception of the danger. And it is dangerous. Maybe not to you or your family, but to someone else. That is selfish.

When it comes to wyo, Florida's situation is suboptimal because of the governor and the political leaders encouraging risky behavior. wyo is a symptom of that leadership.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And your proposed solutions is? Florida has about average or better than average vaccination rates and prioritized vaccines by age back at the beginning of 2020 with a 65+ approach. At this point, vaccines are widely available and anyone that hasn't gotten a shot has done so of their own volition and whatever their motives now accept the consequences. So why should wyo have to continue to live a life different from what he wants because of a decision made by others? Have any of your extended family gotten vaccinated now that others have gotten sick?

First of all, Florida has always had to have a higher than average vaccination rate because of it's older population (vaccines are less effective in older people).

Second, Florida's overall vaccination (even if you don't take age into account) rate has always been inadequate. Yeah, it's been at about the national average. But the national average has been inadequate too.

Third, Florida's age adjusted vaccination rates have been lagging.

Fourth, the Governor set the state on fire and is now mad that monoclonal anibody serum is running out.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
High risk for anyone that needs an ICU bed for any reason.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And on the final, all too easy to dismantle comparison. 2019 average daily hotel occupancy rate was actually more like 65%. And that's daily average, since you know when a hotel can expect an influx? Pretty much every weekend when they near 100% capacity.

If it is in the business district, expect the opposite.

But a hospital can't predict when a bus will crash or a pandemic will spread.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Lastly, adjusted for population and specifically population by average age, Florida's death rate is middle of the pack at worst.

Florida's death rate is tenth highest and climbing. If the deaths peak now and follow a normal curve,they will pass NY by Halloween.

Last edited:

lithy

20 Year Member
Florida's death rate is tenth highest and climbing. If the deaths peak now and follow a normal curve,they will pass NY by Halloween.

Yep climbing until the winter sets in. Just like last year. Gonna have to boost those rookie numbers.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yep climbing until the winter sets in. Just like last year. Gonna have to boost those rookie numbers.

The numbers weren't that different during the winter surge last year (Nov1-April1).

NY saw 87.3 cumulative deaths per 100,000
FL saw 75.8 cumulative deaths per 100,000

lithy

20 Year Member
High risk for anyone that needs an ICU bed for any reason.

So I assume you'll join wasabi in abandoning your vehicular travel. Anything less is indeed quite selfish.

If it is in the business district, expect the opposite.

But a hospital can't predict when a bus will crash or a pandemic will spread.

Sure, so you see how your 50% suggestion is silly. They can plan on a weekly basis to be full. They don't sit around with half of their rooms empty all year round waiting for someone to plan a once in a century conference.

And ERs do actually know when their boom times generally are since accidentally injuries are a leading cause of hospitalization, so evenings and weekends are busier than weekdays and midmornings. Not sure how that may translate to the admissions but I have a feeling statistics can explain a lot more than you seem to think.

Fourth, the Governor set the state on fire and is now mad that monoclonal anibody serum is running out.

Is it any wonder why the 'death panels' talk got traction when you have a system that doles out medical treatment based on equal distribution rather than prioritizing based on need.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Is it any wonder why the 'death panels' talk got traction when you have a system that doles out medical treatment based on equal distribution rather than prioritizing based on need.
The antibodies are in short supply.

There are other needs. Florida's need is supposedly dwindling.

They are actually rationing based on case levels.

lithy

20 Year Member
The antibodies are in short supply.

There are other needs. Florida's need is supposedly dwindling.

They are actually rationing based on case levels.

Need a source because that's not the word directly from the White House.

“Our role as the government overseeing the entire country is to be equitable in how we distribute,” she said during a press briefing. “We're not going to give a greater percentage to Florida over Oklahoma.”

If Florida has a greater need why wouldn't they get a greater percentage than Oklahoma?

Source for quote

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
During the last week before the change, Florida had 1/10th the new case of covid but was getting 1/6 the supply.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So I assume you'll join wasabi in abandoning your vehicular travel. Anything less is indeed quite selfish.
I am vaccinated, wear a mask diligently in public, and I don’t go out much.

I have to wonder how much different you and I are doing things for this to be such a huge deal for you.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

I have to wonder how much different you and I are doing things for this to be such a huge deal for you.
For me the issue is that you refuse to acknowledge that so many people can't not go out much.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is insane to think that these states thought that they could set thier states on fire with covid and that there would be enough monoclonal antibodies for everyone.

Florida is the worst welfare state in the union.

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that humans are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed. The only way for you to survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague, and we... are the cure.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
For me the issue is that you refuse to acknowledge that so many people can't not go out much.
Those people should be masked and vaccinated. If they aren’t, they should stay home. Sorry if this makes it hard for you to masturbate in peace.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Those people should be masked and vaccinated. If they aren’t, they should stay home. Sorry if this makes it hard for you to masturbate in peace.
absolutely

I responded absolutely before the masturbation edit was added. Point still stands though.
Pun intended.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Everyone clamoring for kids to return to school is just trying to fap in peace.

lithy

20 Year Member

I am vaccinated to the bare minimum (J&J), can't remember wearing a mask since March but will have decisions to make for my brother's second wedding (well, the reception for the 2020 ceremony at least, same woman) in Boston next week if I am to comply with local mask mandates. When I attended last year I did not follow the MA requirements for out of state travellers regarding a negative test, although I did wear a mask mostly. He already uninvited then reinvited my unvaccinated father that we sent our kids to stay with for a week+ without a thought while we moved last month. Kind of half expecting him to reuninvite my dad between now and next weekend.

I don't go out much because I have always been more apt to stay in than go out and now with two kids even moreso, but still find myself at what would qualify under the old PA orders as large public gatherings about once a week minimum although many are work related. I have been working beer festivals about every other weekend for the last two months.

I guess my frustration with this is largely based in the expansion of an administrative state, the expansion of executive powers, and the compliance of an unthinking populace happy to cede natural rights to bureaucracy. A trend that was admittedly on the rise since well before March 2020. The fact that authority has given up on metrics and moves entirely through mandate and 'we'll let you know when you can go back to your life' only frustrates me further.

My general perception of you and a significant part of the reason I take umbrage with your posts and tone, which you are welcome to counter or correct, is that your work in particular has not been significantly affected by the last 18 months. My work has been, and the dismissal of the importance or value of the restaurant/hospitality/tourism industry by work from home government payroll and government adjacent white collar $100k earners only serves to further piss me off.

You ask this question with the tenor of 'whats the big deal, it's just a mask?', so I've tried to answer in earnest. It truly angers me. Maybe you find it irrational, fine, but I have yet to find compelling evidence for why your (generic you here) fear usurps my basic individual rights to own my life.

*Written with the least intention of later being described as a screed, manifesto, or first signals of a deteriorating mind.