The Debate

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Trump was aggro as usual, but I don't think that's going to help him right now. It works well for his shrinking base who are already voting for him, it's not going to win over too many suburban women, minorities, or right leaning centrists who can see through some of his BS.
Youth vote might be a bit of a wildcard, his anger might resonate better and fire up hate filled 20 somethings that grew up shouting racist remarks at each other while playing COD.

Biden did get steamrolled for most of it, but on the bright side he didn't completely keel over. He could have really pounded Trump numerous times, but it's just not in him.

Very little surprises me about Trump, but I find this to be insane if not a bit terrifying -- especially when he's flat out refusing to agree to a peaceful transition of power if he loses:
https://www.armyfortrump.com/

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't get why Trump is doing free advertising for Biden by calling him a tool of the radical left (aka Bernie and AOC types, not actual radical leftists like Antifa, BLM, anarchists, etc). On the one hand, it's a ridiculous statement few will take seriously. Outside of supporting issues that don't adversely affect his corporate donors, Biden is no friend of the left. In 2016, Trump's approach was more divide and conquer, trying to drive a wedge between the Clinton and Sanders factions. But 2020 reboot Trump may actually drive reluctant leftists to the polls for his opponent.

I agree. Trump has made the "radical left" into a bete noir to galvanize his base, but these ideas he's arguing against are the same ones that got him votes in 2016. A lot of his voters wanted Bernie. This time around? Doubt it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah that's why Bernie can dip right as he has the left on lock. I do think looking so frail is not going to do him any favours as people do take stuff like that into consideration, a strong virile leader creates confidence and a sense of security

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah that's why Bernie can dip right as he has the left on lock. I do think looking so frail is not going to do him any favours as people do take stuff like that into consideration, a strong virile leader creates confidence and a sense of security

Bernie looked as frail as these two mummies, not moreso. Last night was so much cringe, from how Trump looked like someone else was wearing Trump's skin, to how Biden would look rattled after talking about Hunter (not Beau). Hunter was a fuck up. Biden took it on the chin like a man. Trump never had to answer for his daughter's (likely criminal) tax fraud, or his son's endangered animal hunting safaris.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
but these ideas he's arguing against are the same ones that got him votes in 2016.

Yeah, maybe I misunderstand the term, but Trump was described frequently as a "populist." I thought that means putting people first and trying to help them meet their needs. Republicans don't do that... Wouldn't someone who wants a populist president automatically vote D?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, maybe I misunderstand the term, but Trump was described frequently as a "populist." I thought that means putting people first and trying to help them meet their needs. Republicans don't do that... Wouldn't someone who wants a populist president automatically vote D?

Populism does involve appealing to the needs of the people. Whether or not they actually come through with those promises is another story. Brexit has been described as populist, but who has really been helped by Brexit? Sure, the brexiteers can continue to blame the EU, and the stay voters who never wanted "independence", but as an outsider it just looked like an attempt at wealth transfer, and the people are still poor. Geert Wilders was a populist, blaming the government in Holland of stealing jobs from the Dutch and handing them to islamic terrorists, and this worked for him, still does. Fear sells. Stupidity sells.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I'm just happy that no matter who wins, we're all going to have plenty more laughs the next 4 years.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A family member told me yesterday that I would probably like Ted Cruz. And extolled the intelligence of William Barr.

Just give me a noose already, please.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
A family member told me yesterday that I would probably like Ted Cruz. And extolled the intelligence of William Barr.

Just give me a noose already, please.

Gives you a reason to live at least until thanksgiving

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I keep thinking about Wallace's moderation of the debate and I've been reading the various analysis from both left and right perspectives.

I don't think Wallace was partisan at all, as the people on the right are accusing him of being.

The request to denounce white supremacy was a tale of two intentions.

Trump saw it as a dogpile comprised of Wallace and Biden. He reacted defensively because he has both a Napoleon and persecution complex. If he was confident about his accomplishments, as he continues to insist, he wouldn't feel the need to correct the record over and over: he'd just let them speak for themselves.

But he feels so insecure and persecuted by the 24 hour news cycle that he believes his brash doberman attitude is his best weapon against the critics.

But a more politically agile president, one that could pivot based on the demands of the situation, could have used Wallace's grilling as a moment to put the topic to rest.

I feel like Wallace, who was clearly frustrated but never 'out of it' the way that Trump and Biden were, was demanding that Trump put the matter to rest. It felt like Wallace was tacitly saying 'ok, you insist that you're against white supremacy. State your case now. Put it to rest '

A real leader would have seized on that opportunity and saw it as a chance to create an immortal sound bite for his campaigning.

But Trump is not a leader. He's more like a Patton: effective but insufferable and works best in limited capacities. Give him too much power and his brand of tyrrany comes through.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
giphy.gif