The Great Neo Mystery: Neo Turf Masters / BTG CD 5th course; info & screens!

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Due to lack of any information concerning the NGCD exclusive 5th course (Scotland) I have decided to do a small 'write up'. This has everything you should need: information on unlocking the course, shots of all the holes for those who are interested in seeing them but do not have access to the NGCD version of the game, and more commentary than is suitable. Hopefully the host I'm using for the images wont go over a bandwidth limit or something. I know, lycos is crap.. But as far as free hosting goes, there's plenty more choices around these days that are much worse. If anyone could provide a steady host without banners and the likes it would be greatly appreciated!

The road to Scotland awaits..

post1.jpg

** How to unlock Scotland, the NGCD exclusive course **
1) From main menu choose Another Game
2) Then choose Grand Slam
3) Win first place on each of the 4 courses to get a trophy for that course. (can be a bit time consuming)
4) After you've won all four and gotten the trophies press D on the course select screen (on any game play mode.. arcade, grand slam, etc)
5) Prepare for the pain..

Here is an image of the trophy room and course selection screen.

Pro Tip (tm): At any point on a Grand Slam game you can save your game by pushing the D button on the score card screen. For those without english dialogues (like me): The first Y/N question is 'do you want to save?' and the second is 'do you want to continue your current game?'. This should make unlocking Scotland more bearable. Very handy NGCD feature!

post2.jpg

** A day in the life of The Shot Maker.. In game shots of all 18 holes on the Scotland course! ** (this should be fairly modem friendly)

The video input on my video card isn't exactly high quality, but it does the job. Enjoy! :)

drugcart.gif

Last edited:
Q

qube

Man, thanks for all the hard work. That was a great read! Now all I need is a copy of NTM on CD;)

Q-

Mike

Bead Banger
WOW!

Very nice. Thanks for all the hard work.

Very entertaining as well..:glee:

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Thanks a lot! Saves me the trouble of sifting through all those issues of Neo Geo Freak.

Depending on the total MB of all your images I could host them for you too. Drop me an e-mail at heavenly-one@rogers.com if you like.

xFinnPetersx

Crazed MVS Addict
NGH/MVS vs. CD

sorry to ask a probably super obvious question.
how much different (worse) does NTM look on NGH rather than CD ?

i picked up Top Player's for real cheap a long time ago, but i really really wanna get NTM. but i'm not sure i wanna purchase a CD system (but obviously i'm not gonna throw in the amount for the NGH version). but yeah... let me now if there is a marked improvement (or the other differences) with the CD version. if not i'd probably just buy the MVS version and wait until i get a candy (tax refund heaven).

thanks,
xFPx

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Thanks for the feedback fellas! Hopefully this has helped quite a few people. What many didn't know, is finding any information on this course was next to impossible. For awhile I thought it was a rumor that had gone out of control. All better now. :)

xFinnPetersx said:
sorry to ask a probably super obvious question.
how much different (worse) does NTM look on NGH rather than CD ?

I own this game on both AES and NGCD. As far as I can tell there is a no difference. No cut animations or anything.. thinking about it there's not really a lot that could be cut. What the NGCD version does is offer more over the AES. There's CD sound quality, which I could argue whether I like more or not. There's the extra game play modes like Grand Slam. There's the 5th course (of course.). And so on.

On the debacle that is NGCD load times:
Neo Turf Masters scores VERY well. On the NGCD version you can skip past the 'I did it!' screens entirely by pushing a button after the ball goes in the hole, which reduces the time it takes to get to the next course greatly! AFAIK, you can't do this on the arcade/home version.. So really it all gets balanced out pretty well. Keep in mind this is on a front loading NGCD, it should be even faster on a CDZ!

IMO, Scotland looks great. I should have posted this earlier. But here is a comparison shot between one of the normal courses and Scotland.

comparison.jpg

BTW Jonathan will get back to you on that hosting bit. I want to see how well this one holds up for a bit first. ;)

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
On a short note, the NGCD version's load times are quite okay due to the fact that the CD version has the announcer's voice switched off by default, if you activate it in the options menu, load times slightly increase but still, not a problem IMO. The extras you get with the NGCD version compensate this lil' drawback.

Anyway, very nice write-up, thanks man.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I... must... have this! Really, the Scotland course looks like it has some great holes. I need to find a copy of the CD now... Best thing is, it can be played on a PC with virtually no loading time using the original CD!

-Nick

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I posted this in the other thread (in 16-bit), but here it is again.

Isn't there another way to unlock the course without beating all the other courses? FTL told me something about doing a counter-clockwise circle then D on the course selection screen, but it doesn't work for me.

Anyone?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Great write up man! And great username :D Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Awesome,Great Job..

Thanks for taking the time to do that..

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Wow, an 11 year old thread bump...

GeePM

Armored Scrum Object
Despite the age old bump, this is interesting information. It's a shame it's not in the MVS version. That course looks INSANE though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Wow, an 11 year old thread bump...

To be fair, nobody ever did answer the question of the second method to unlock the 5th course.

I love this game, but have a hard time with the regular courses. Scotland looks like the Goenitz of golf.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
so all you have to do is the half circle and press D to unlock Scotland? fooq me

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
That's awesome! If there was ever a worthy 11 year bump, this is it. Ridiculously easy short cut. Thanks for the post/bump

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Can you save on memory card after each hole without being game over on mvs/aes? And is there random select player/course on cd version?

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
i had heard of this 5th course but never seen/played it Im gonna have to find a cd copy now(only have mvs) as this has always been my fav golf game along with the ngp version :)