The Hobbit Thread.

aria

Former Moderator
The thing I hated about the Jackson Gollum is that he looked like a cartoon. WTF. Everybody knows he is a Hobbit who has really let himself go, so why does he look nothing like the actor Hobbits? He had those ridiculous big saucer pan eyes, and body proportions completely different than Frodo, Sam, and whoever. Yeah, he's supposed to be creepy and pale and super-skinny and whatnot, but Jackson Gollum looked like a completely different kind of creature. And he was about as believable as Roger Rabbit. Horrible.

The only explanation I can come up with is the ring twisted him mentally and physically. Obviously his eyes are simply too big for a hobbit. The cartoons were interesting in how they made him almost an amphibian in The Hobbit but more like a hobbit in the LOTR cartoons.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I don't think it is definitive that Gollum was a hobbit. As I recall (many years ago when I read the novels), Smeagol was a small folk, but Tolkien wasn't specific that he was a hobbit. I could be wrong though.

And the ring did twisted him into a monster, especially after he escaped into the wild and eating raw foods with little light.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't think it is definitive that Gollum was a hobbit.
Was it not? I don't know where I got that from, then. It's been decades since I've read the books, though. Either way, Jackson Gollum is the least convincing CG element in the movies. He was ridiculously poorly-integrated and unconvincing, imo.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Indeed. Gollum was a hobbit. and the ring twisted and changed him.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
I have not seen it yet, but I don't understand why they filmed the movie at 48 frames per second. Not sure how I'm going to like that.

Rade K

20 Year Member
Isn't it obvious that a fantasy film with a medieval-ish aesthetic requires only the highest of technology?

Not the right film for the tech, but this is the same studio/director that thought they could make three films out of it.

Sorry to hear it was so dreadfully boring.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Saw it today. Had a great time. Personally i thought they could have added another 10 minutes to the opening to introduce and give the individual dwarves a bit more character. Maybe that will be in the directors cut. I felt like that was actually pretty rushed in that regard. Don't see the complaints about the pacing...it was the fastest 3 hours of my life.

Granted, its been 15 years since ive read the book, but nothing grabbed me and said "hey this was missing or didnt happen this way" like the lotr movies did pretty much throughout.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Granted, its been 15 years since ive read the book, but nothing grabbed me and said "hey this was missing
With one short novel stretched out to be three movies, there's not likely to be missing material. There's much more likely to be additional invented material to pad the run time.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
3 hours?
A film that long needs an intermission.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Indeed. Gollum was a hobbit. and the ring twisted and changed him.

Gollum, originally known as Sméagol (or Trahald), was a Stoor, one of the three early hobbit-types.

Taken from: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Gollum

I am SO excited about this movie. I'm also planning to run a table top RPG session set in the first age of Middle Earth using the Burning Wheel system. Reading The Silmarillion again, it's my favorite.

Edit - I'm going to see the film 3 hours from now. I have my ticket to see the 2D version, 6pm to 9pm.

Last edited:

Force

20 Year Member
With one short novel stretched out to be three movies, there's not likely to be missing material. There's much more likely to be additional invented material to pad the run time.

Actually. The more i keep thinking about it, the more i realize the movie did have a lot of extra shit the book didn't. Like all the stuff with radagast. Which means they probably changed plot points around a bit to make him relevant to story. Sad, this.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm also planning to run a table top RPG session set in the first age of Middle Earth using the Burning Wheel system. Reading The Silmarillion again, it's my favorite.

Edit - I'm going to see the film 3 hours from now. I have my ticket to see the 2D version, 6pm to 9pm.

You are such a nerd.

I'm insanely jealous of that RPG campaign.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Actually. The more i keep thinking about it, the more i realize the movie did have a lot of extra shit the book didn't. Like all the stuff with radagast. Which means they probably changed plot points around a bit to make him relevant to story. Sad, this.

I just came back from watching it. I saw the 2D version, it looked like it was definitely made for 3D. I'll try and watch it one more time in the theater in 3D.

Peter Jackson definitely added some stuff to make the story have more urgency. I really didn't like that, but I understand that it was probably done to appeal to modern movie goers.

The movie was great. There were so many cool things from the book and even songs, which made me very happy.

The effects looked great and it's definitely a world I'd like to go and live in. I get this feeling that movie is slightly too long and detailed for non-Hobbit fans, but there are too many changes for hard core Hobbit fans. It sits somewhere uncomfortably in the middle.

I'm happy with it. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Too much added fluff. Also, I remember the Dwarves being absolute chicken-shits before they got their riches back. In the movie, they were like the ultimate bad-asses. Also Bilbo was a complete bad-ass in the first movie, I don't think Bilbo killed anything until the Spiders, hence the name of this blade.

I too did enjoy the couple of songs they decided to put in the movie, songs were a big part of The Hobbit, hope they continue with them for the other two movies.

You couldn't be more correct. But, there was weird things they took out, such as Gandalf talking to the eagle king. In the movie they showed up, dropped them off at Mirkwood and didn't say a word as to why they helped them. It's gonna be weird for the eagles to randomly show up at the Battle of The Five Armies.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
A lot of fluff was taken out of the LOTR books. The hobbit in itself is a tiny book, but the LOTR books continue to add to that quest's story. It was definitely embellished, but most of it was at least hinted in a book somewhere.

aria

Former Moderator
Don't see the complaints about the pacing...it was the fastest 3 hours of my life.

Of your life? I feel bad for you.

Hell, there's no way anyone can pretend that The Hobbit I was better than any of the three LOTR films.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So what are they going to call the next film?

Hobbit 2
Son of Hobbit?

Rade K

20 Year Member
So what are they going to call the next film?

Hobbit 2
Son of Hobbit?

Hobbits

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Money

The HobbIIt

The Hobbit 2: The Rehobbening

The Hobbit Too: Look Who is Hobbit Now

Last edited:

Force

20 Year Member
Of your life? I feel bad for you.

Hell, there's no way anyone can pretend that The Hobbit I was better than any of the three LOTR films.

It was overstated a bit, but why the need to insult over an opinion, babs?

ALso i think it was an overall better film than fellowship. That just dragged on and on.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The Hobbit 2: Electric Boogaloo

Last edited: