The King Of Fighters XV (2020)

I was actually pretty amused reading that post, never met someone with such animosity to Street Fighter 3: Third Strike before. The accusation of being a Capcom employee was especially entertaining. I completely disagree btw, especially on the music. The rap songs made the atmosphere fresh, modern, and instantly recognizable. I'd say stage wise my favorites are Ken/Alex's themes, Dudley's theme, Elena's theme, and Gill's theme ("Psych Out").

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I love Street Fighter and I hate to say it, but this is 100% true. It was sad as hell to see so many players at the arcades shun the new direction that the SF3 series took at that time. I still have the news article from EGM magazine celebrating the demise of the Street Fighter 3 series after Third Strike had run its course.

It really wasn’t until the Third Strike Evo moment that more players gave the game another shot, but even after Capcom included a port of Third Strike on the Street Fighter Anniversary collection (PS2/XBOX), it still did not grant Third Strike huge commercial success. With Third Strike having made the jump from being a console exclusive on the Dreamcast to a widely available release on PS2 and XBOX, its presence on the ill-fated Dreamcast was not entirely to blame.

Ono fought an uphill battle to get a new Street Fighter off the ground and thank goodness he did. Having Nishimura (formerly SNK and then DIMPS) himself return the series to something that veterans and newcomers alike could get into turned out to be just what the series needed...for a time. Outside of the competitive community SF is still far away from the resurgeance it experienced with the release of SFIV, but that’s a completely different talk.

Back on topic: I hope KOFXV sees success along the lines of the new Samurai Shodown. I wish them luck.

Totes agree. Nicely put.

You can argue all kind of things as commercial success goes for Third Strike compared to Street Fighter 2: the rise in popularity of 3D fighters (Super Smash Bros., Tekken 3, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter 3, DOA 2, and Mortal Kombat 4 to name a few), the relative ease of accessibility of those titles compared to the demanding nature of Street Fighter 3 (Ono has said it was meant to cater to hardcore players), general series fatigue from so many different iterations of Street Fighter 2 (then Alpha).

However, quality of the game is not one of them. There's no fighter imo to this day, that plays as smoothly and as responsively as Third Strike. However, when you take an advanced userbase who have been practicing for over a decade, you will alienate new players. No one wants to lose to some 15 hit combo before they even learn the game at the arcade. Not to mention, arcades themselves were beginning to lose some steam by then.

You could argue the decline of 2D gaming to explain what happened with SNK's franchises too during the same era. It's not like commercially speaking, issues with 2D's declining popularity were exclusive to Third Strike. Just look at how Dragon Ball FighterZ is doing now as pseudo 2D fighters are experiencing a comeback. Things go through cycles. Capcom experimented with 3D with the Street Fighter EX series prior to Street Fighter 4 after all. As did SNK with Samurai Shodown 64 and Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
However, quality of the game is not one of them. There's no fighter imo to this day, that plays as smoothly and as responsively as Third Strike. However, when you take an advanced userbase who have been practicing for over a decade, you will alienate new players. No one wants to lose to some 15 hit combo before they even learn the game at the arcade. Not to mention, arcades themselves were beginning to lose some steam by then.

I don't disagree with the rest of your message, but when you say "smoothly" I hope you mean in terms of animation, because if you mean in terms of smooth controls there are a ton of 2D fighters that still play as smoothly as Third Strike did. If just looking at animations, then there is a strong contender in Mark of the Wolves imo (there's a strong case to argue that MoTW is more fun to play as well), but yes SFIII remains of the best looking sprite based fighters. I also think what hurt SFIII beyond the roster change was the parry system. It wasn't intuitive to learn, and most players didn't want to bother, and so it created a big skill gap.

The skill gap and initial roster of New Generations was probably enough to prevent the game from bringing in the classic II and Zero/Alpha players, and then by the time they got to Second Impact and then Third strike most Zero players pretty much moved into the VS series, and stayed along with that series.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I like SNK more than Capcom. Full stop. But MotW is not as good a game as Third Strike. It just isn't. It's maybe roughly equal to New Generation. And maybe if MotW had gotten one or two sequels, that game would have been as good as or better than Third Strike. But it didn't get those sequels, so no.

And parrying wasn't much harder to learn than MotW's Just Defense. Never mind MotW's breaking.

And you want to talk about being pissed off about a new game abandoning the roster that made its franchise popular and great: Say hello to MotW. Way more egregious than Third Strike.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
MotW and SFIII both kick all sorts of ass; CvS3 anyone?

c77a8afd60ad98ea879a2df23374600f.jpg

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
darn it, capcom should quit being such tryhards spreading bad information about their mediocre product. SF3 TS is one of the most mediocre fighting games.
it has been surpassed even by its predecessors!

the sprites are awful art direction. everyone looks worse and that is worsened by its inconsistent character designs. Necro, Seven, Oro are some of the most horrible and stupidest character designs ever. Urien is one of the most laziest character designs, which is basically a modified Gill. Chun Li has absurd turkey legs and takes proportions to extremes.

also SF3 series has THE WORST music ever, tied with MVC2. and its rap and juvenile themes are trash tier nonsense.
plus that era has the worst rosters since SF1. in a lot of ways SF3 series is the anti SF compared to SF2, Alpha, and SF4 eras. even SF5 has better taste in roster. SF3 was lacking too many favorites and adds so many rejects.

anyways, Im surprised there are no roster leaks of KOFXV yet. KOFXIV's roster was leaked like a year before launch.

tl;dr

third strike had no waifus >:T

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Third Strike is trash and MVC2 has horrible music? Do you come from an alternate timeline Saner?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
motw has the audacity to introduce 2 taekwondo practitioners, they being Kim's offspring - something which pays homage to Kim's presence in the FF series. I liked this.
Just some random comment about Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan
Was it SNKs answer to Yang and Yun?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
motw has the audacity to introduce 2 taekwondo practitioners, they being Kim's offspring - something which pays homage to Kim's presence in the FF series. I liked this.
Just some random comment about Jae Hoon and Dong Hwan
Was it SNKs answer to Yang and Yun?

I definitely always felt like it was their answer to the SFIII twins while also being a neat send up to the fact that Kim’s sons were present in the mangas, animes, backgrounds and or win/loss poses throughout the series but hadn’t been playable up until that point.

Since Savage Reign was the original sequel series to Fatal Fury, Kim Sue Il was the original Kim successor. Then with the series direction shift that occurred with MotW, they walked the timeline back and went with Kim’s sons rather than his distant descendant.

There were so many thematic parallels between SFIII and MotW anyway, that it is hard to rule out that SNK was directly influenced by SFIII in more ways than one at that time. If only MotW had been a 2D fighter created for the Hyper 64 hardware rather than the aging MVS.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I definitely always felt like it was their answer to the SFIII twins while also being a neat send up to the fact that Kim’s sons were present in the mangas, animes, backgrounds and or win/loss poses throughout the series but hadn’t been playable up until that point.

Since Savage Reign was the original sequel series to Fatal Fury, Kim Sue Il was the original Kim successor. Then with the series direction shift that occurred with MotW, they walked the timeline back and went with Kim’s sons rather than his distant descendant.

There were so many thematic parallels between SFIII and MotW anyway, that it is hard to rule out that SNK was directly influenced by SFIII in more ways than one at that time. If only MotW had been a 2D fighter created for the Hyper 64 hardware rather than the aging MVS.

So cool. When you have the imagination and skill to produce games and characters like this. I'd say Kim is as important to the series and SNK in general as is maybe Andy (would not say Terry tier)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Also I think there is something to be said about SFIII being almost too good looking or at least too sophisticated visually to garner mass appeal. I know it sounds weird but with the game taking itself so seriously I think it took away from the instant gratification factor many casuals tended to look for in arcade games.
I wish it wasn't so obviously but the pool of dedicated players just wasn't big enough in terms of fighting games, and many where off playing the marvel v Capcom games or alpha series of games, where character design is just more accessible and dynamic

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Also I think there is something to be said about SFIII being almost too good looking or at least too sophisticated visually to garner mass appeal. I know it sounds weird but with the game taking itself so seriously I think it took away from the instant gratification factor many casuals tended to look for in arcade games.

What do you mean? Can you clarify. I always found the game pretty eye-catching.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
What do you mean? Can you clarify. I always found the game pretty eye-catching.

It's the most gorgeous 2d animated game I have ever seen. And it is eye-catching. It's just too mature, not fun looking, slightly moody atmosphere, maybe they should have put out an anime or manga surrounding the whole thing before it was released, to ease the public in in. The look of it requires a certain adaptation period. Maybe what I'm saying is all a bit far fetched.
in the end they strayed away visually too far from the source material which is sf2, and to me that was a big win, but it just didn't taste like coke anymore, at least not enough to bring in peripheral players.

And anyways, arcades where moving into new directions and people where looking for new experiences, not old ones only more complicated.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
also SF3 series has THE WORST music ever, tied with MVC2. and its rap and juvenile themes are trash tier nonsense.

With that opinion no one is going to take you for a ride... Also: How can one not love a song where the lyrics in the character select screen are about selecting a character. (SF3rd)

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
FWIW I love the SFIII soundtrack. The D&B genre is such a weird choice but it works perfectly.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Was all the rage back then, jungle music was, you knew this though I'm sure

I was still listening to Brit rock in '97. I was still in grade school and didn't know much about music or the trends. But even now, I was under the impression that D&B was really popular in Europe / UK, but not really the US. Is that not the case? I just remember a lot of people getting into hip hop and Jock Jams style techno around that time, both through classmates and the musical guests on All That, In Living Color, and SNL. (Though now that I think about it, a D&B "band" wouldn't really make sense on one of those shows.)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
1997 was pretty much the peak for brit rock.

Anyway, here's wonderwall.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I was still listening to Brit rock in '97. I was still in grade school and didn't know much about music or the trends. But even now, I was under the impression that D&B was really popular in Europe / UK, but not really the US. Is that not the case? I just remember a lot of people getting into hip hop and Jock Jams style techno around that time, both through classmates and the musical guests on All That, In Living Color, and SNL. (Though now that I think about it, a D&B "band" wouldn't really make sense on one of those shows.)

Drum and Bass was big in Japan as they tended or tend to absorb whatever is trending in western Europe or the US. As a genre it was practically exclusive to the UK, but I remember it being game music in european stuff as well as japanese, will have to dig up what those games where.

As the D sais though, 97 was pinnacle for britrock. I was at university and songs from The Bends where on tv