Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Really liking Dolores' design.

Not a fan of the name.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
She has a very interesting design but I don't like that t1000 thing she does. I don't like the sand moves of that mortal kombat ninja or the giant hands of those two silly kids. What the fuck. Some kid that hits you with a pillow. How is that in any way interesting? It's a chinese thing? Iori came along in 95 and was cool as fuck. And that was the last good design they made in this series. Iori should only have been around looking that way a couple of years. Not the 26 years he did. SNK was a master of character creation, they died with Garou (the best of deaths)

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
She has a very interesting design but I don't like that t1000 thing she does. I don't like the sand moves of that mortal kombat ninja or the giant hands of those two silly kids. What the fAdn. Some kid that hits you with a pillow. How is that in any way interesting? It's a chinese thing? Iori came along in 95 and was cool as fuck. And that was the last good design they made in this series. Iori should only have been around looking that way a couple of years. Not the 26 years he did. SNK was a master of character creation, they died with Garou (the best of deaths)

I think OG SNK produced worse designs in KOF. In fact, the new characters that were added in the series by the current SNK are generally better than the ones added by the OG SNK, IMO.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think OG SNK produced worse designs in KOF. In fact, the new characters that were added in the series by the current SNK are generally better than the ones added by the OG SNK, IMO.
Can you go into more detail for your reasoning, I'm interested.

Fygee

20 Year Member
She has a very interesting design but I don't like that t1000 thing she does. I don't like the sand moves of that mortal kombat ninja or the giant hands of those two silly kids. What the fAdn. Some kid that hits you with a pillow. How is that in any way interesting? It's a chinese thing? Iori came along in 95 and was cool as fuck. And that was the last good design they made in this series. Iori should only have been around looking that way a couple of years. Not the 26 years he did. SNK was a master of character creation, they died with Garou (the best of deaths)
Iori was the last good design that they made? No way.

I mean, yeah, opinions and all, but you got classic characters with great designs like Mature/Vice, Leona, K', Kula, Shermie, Vanessa, Ash, Shen Wu, Duo Lon (minus his busted ankle), yada yada.

Personally I've liked most of the newer characters' design too. Mian is fantastic and I'm bummed she's not a part of the roster for 15. Also really like Antonov, the Brazilian team, and now Delores. Hell, even Sylvie grew on me with how intentionally bat shit crazy both her design and character are.

Yeah, you got some try-hard stinkers like pillow boy and headphones douche, but that's just how it goes. More good ones than bad ones.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah I was exaggerating, and I feel some of the new characters from xiv onwards are actually pretty great, very much in line with old, old snk amazingly, including that character with the knotted goatie the boxer and the ninja.
I don't really like any of the characters you mention design wise though, maybe Leona but wasn't too happy she took Heidern's spot though it made sense, but why not have Cammy and Guile instead of just one? Mature and Vice absolutely. Goenitz for sure. Would say 96 is the most stylish kof of all followed by 2000.
But Iori was the highlight after 94 where they just smashed it. I just feel that what was genius and inspired at that time became a crutch and they undid themselves through repetition.

The pillow guy and big hand kids are disgusting though.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Can you go into more detail for your reasoning, I'm interested.

- "I think OG SNK produced worse designs in KOF."

Bao and Hinako

- "In fact, the new characters that were added in the series by the current SNK are generally better than the ones added by the OG SNK, IMO."

My top KOF addition picks would be:

- Vanessa
- Oswald
- Elizabeth
- Luong
- Mian (introduced me to Bian Lian. The way she changes masks during her stance / moves is super cool in my book)

4 out of these 5 were made by the new SNK. Anything below that ranges from irritating to just cool offerings from both sides.

PS: strictly talking characters introduced in KOF here, which excludes ones brought from other SNK series'.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Benimaru is a brilliant character for example, not sure his backstory. Kyo. I don't know if I'm adhering to your rules?
Bao was a misstep and Oswald is excellent

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
This is how old I am: I was able to get kof 94 back in 1994. Heidern was my favourite character.
I wish they had given him that same tone as back then. He just looks weird here. What's going on with his face?

Also, bring back a little blood in fighting games. It seems like a minor aspect to it all and it is. But to me it makes it more authentic.
This^.

…and it’s not like there isn’t a precedent in this generation, from SNK themselves. The SamSho redux is *swimming* in blood.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Heidern's face is the last thing I noticed. That absurd skin tight spandex makes no freaking sense. Imagine pulling off his moves while wearing that.

Give that man his military jacket back.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Heidern's face is the last thing I noticed. That absurd skin tight spandex makes no freaking sense. Imagine pulling off his moves while wearing that.

Give that man his military jacket back.
I don't know, seems to be in line with solid snake and ji joe. I don't like it, but I get it

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I don't know, seems to be in line with solid snake and ji joe. I don't like it, but I get it
I get it too. These tojos have imposter syndrome and they just all bounce the same tropes back and forth off eachother without an ounce of originality.

They just can't help themselves. How many "ryus" have they made so far?
How many "akumas"?

Edit: imposter syndrome is the incorrect term.
Apparently "echopraxia" better describes what I'm talking about. Maybe there's a better term out there for it I dunno.

Attachments

• Zell_Condorbrave.jpeg
    Zell_Condorbrave.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 9
  • MSD_-_Heidern.png
    MSD_-_Heidern.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Rolento-Sugerg-Street-Fighters-Final-Fight.jpg
    Rolento-Sugerg-Street-Fighters-Final-Fight.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Colonel.jpg
    Colonel.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
@1:38: Woh. Iori can combo C -> f+B -> special/DM again? That will make his BnBs sooo easy.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
@1:38: Woh. Iori can combo C -> f+B -> special/DM again? That will make his BnBs sooo easy.
Yes, although a Japanese influencer who was invited by SNK to try out the beta at this year's Tokyo Game Show, he said that the character has suffered some small nerfs compared to the previous chapter.

However, it is clear that now this character and Leona have become the 'golden babies' of 'mom' SNK: not that I mind, but probably will be used often by professional players who will participate in upcoming tournaments (a bit 'as happened with Yun and Chun-Li in 'Street Fighter III Third Strike' or Kula and Gato in 'KOF XI').

Fygee

20 Year Member
Whip is expected to be next today.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Well damn. Not even a single photo of the game! Still glad it's in development.
IMO the KOF games should have stayed as 2D games. But it's good that they're still making new entries in the series.

SNK should keep their most popular series going (King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug).

Last edited: