The Mother Fucking Book Thread (No Comics Allowed)

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I'm splitting time between The Aeneid by Virgil and that Alice in Wonderland book by David Icke.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Speaking of Ayn Rand, I've been meaning to pick up her newly released novel, Ideal. I haven't really looked too far into it but I did enjoy Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, Anthem, and We the Living. I disagree with a lot of Ayn Rand's philosophy and personal dogma but probably for different reasons than a lot of people. Basically, I think she's on point that you can't have contradictions in your moral philosophy. The problem is, she ignores massive contradictions both implied and explicitly indicated by Objectivism. Most notably are her stances on the legitimacy of intellectual property, her stance on "civilized man" versus the primitive man, foreign interventionism, and the legitimacy of the government apparatus itself. Not to mention her personal homophobia, religious intolerance, and just generally being a bitch.

Kinda got sidetracked there, but I guess the reason I brought it up was that I was wondering if anyone here had read Ideal? And if so, what did you think of it? Both as a standalone work and in relation to her other famous works of fiction.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I recently read Stephen King's 2002 From a Buick 8. During an interview, years ago, I can recall the author saying something to the effect of, "I must be running out of ideas when I'm writing about a demonic car again." about said volume. Christine was all right, but it's not one of my favorites (I like his Dark Tower series and short story collections the best), so, I was kinda hesitant about reading this one, but, plot-wise, it turned out to be completely different than that earlier car-themed novel and not at all what I expected (in a good way). The book started out kind of slow, but once I got into it, I was hooked and would recommend it--I think it'd have equal appeal to both sci-fi and horror fans.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
The Way of Kings-Stormlight Archive (book 1)
on kindle

Cousin recommended it- Fantasy Series, just started it but it seem to invent a lot of it own lore and mythos rather than tack on from older books in fantasy genre

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I recently read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Faithful Ruslan. I'm currently reading New Lands by Charles Fort and Mirage Men.

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
currently reading the malazan book of the dead series.....good stuff but pretty dense when it comes to characters(more so than a song of fire and ice series). good shit tho.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The Way of Kings-Stormlight Archive (book 1)
on kindle

Cousin recommended it- Fantasy Series, just started it but it seem to invent a lot of it own lore and mythos rather than tack on from older books in fantasy genre

These books are awesome! I like them better than game of thrones. I actually picked up both HB first editions. Which is something I rarely do. Sanderson was actually the guy who finished up The Wheel of Time, and arguably wrote the best book in the series.

One of my favorite books of all time is called The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. This is going to sound weird, but trust me this book is great, and a fast read. It's about this guy who is in a really bad car accident and is burned incredibly bad and ends up in a burn ward for many months. In the ward, which also happens to be connected with a psych ward, he meets a girl, and this girl claims they were lovers a few hundred years ago in past lives. Basically this chick tries to convince him of this, and of course he is skeptical. Keep in mind he is burned, and basically looks like total shit, and his penis is now missing. When he finally gets realeased this girl takes him in her home to care for him, and continues to try and convince him. So basically this guy is on pain meds in this womans house the whole book, while she is in the basement carving gargoyles out of stone. She lives in a small mansion. I can't really get more into it, but it is an EXCELLENT book. Here is a link, and it's only a penny on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...yle&qid=1444885599&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

I wish I could read more right now, but i'm in school. Here are some of my recent reads from last year.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - Highly over-rated book in my opinion. I had to force myself to finish this.

The Crown Tower the Riyria Chronicles by Michael J Sullivan - This is a good fantasy book if you like fun easy reads. It actually quite funny at times.

The Princess Bride - Exactly like the movie, but better. Goes more in depth about Inigo Montoya's father, which I really enjoyed.

Dracula: Prince of Many Faces: His life and His Times - a really cool historical book about dracula. Good read for halloween.
http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Princ...&sr=1-1&keywords=dracula+prince+of+many+faces

I am also always trying to squeeze in physics books, like Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe, various Michio Kaku books.

When I have time, the next book on my list is Words of Radiance Stromlight Archive vol.2, and City of God by Paulo Lins. I am a HUGE fan of the movie city of god, and I must read this.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I read these late 80s/early 90s Dungeon & Dragons: Forgotten Realms Icewind Dale and Dark Elf trilogies, by R.A. Salvatore, years ago, and enjoyed them, so, when I happened upon a complete set of both of them the other day, for dirt cheap ($3 for all six books), I snatched them up. I just finished The Crystal Shard last night, and will probably be starting in on Streams of Silver sometime later today.

D&D.jpg