The New Fitness thread

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
no egg yolk

egg yolks contain the vast majority of the vitamins and minerals of the egg and don't directly increase LDL levels if you follow proper nutritional guidelines and exercise regularly

i eat 4-5 whole eggs every day

one of the most perfect and fundemental foods on the planet

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The Hodge twins should be viewed strictly for entertainment, and not entirely for information. Over the years they have contradicted themselves many times.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Time to visit a local exercise wholesaler. I need a multipurpose bench for dumbbell chest routines. Expand the range of my current dumbbell weights. Maybe look at prices for an olympic bar and a 300lbs weight package for lifts and presses.

I'm looking at a minimum $800 investment, aren't I?

I prefer to workout at home rather than a gym. The thought of travel for pain would be an easy excuse not to go.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
get a bloodtest then ask your doctor if eating 5 egg yolks a day is a good idea

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
I'm looking at a minimum $800 investment, aren't I?

I prefer to workout at home rather than a gym. The thought of travel for pain would be an easy excuse not to go.
If you've got a workable doorway, I'd suggest considering one of these too:

Iron Gym Upper Body Workout Bar

If there's a Bed Bath & Beyond near you and you can find one of those $5 off coupons they constantly mail out, you can snag it for $26. Hopefully that may help you get more bang for your buck.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member

On the contrary, working out at a gym is more incentive to make you actually stay and work out. There are far too many distractions at home to ensure a good workout, unless you're really dedicated. And, by your post, you may not be just yet. ;)

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
your goal is to reduce visceral fat, the fat between your organs. 15 minutes of weight lifting will burn the same amount as 1 hour of cardio. watch your diet strictly, no fast food, no soda or artificial juice no liquid calories no alcohol, no egg yolk or whole milk. weight train your lower body as the largest muscles are there and when doing cardio do intervals, this revs up your metabolism and will cause you to burn calories after excersize. results will follow as you build muscle body fat will lower
Muscle isn't my priority, just getting rid of my paunch. But I suppose muscle will inevitably build up.

Magician

20 Year Member
On the contrary, working out at a gym is more incentive to make you actually stay and work out. There are far too many distractions at home to ensure a good workout, unless you're really dedicated. And, by your post, you may not be just yet. ;)

On the contrary, as a single man I believe the gym bunnies would be an even greater distraction.

I think it would be better to stay at home, focused....and avoid temptation.

Mmm, gym bunnies. :)

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
ldIFtCtkWXxhGeKBjrFogYZumhtrcgMtssmC-610xh.jpg

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Muscle isn't my priority, just getting rid of my paunch. But I suppose muscle will inevitably build up.
building muscle is how you burn fat, it doesn't just evaporate into the air during cardio

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
building muscle is how you burn fat, it doesn't just evaporate into the air during cardio

I lost 53 lbs in less than a year when I started running. I wasn't really huge to begin with either, 209.

Granted, there's some cross training in there too, but I lost weight because I became a runner.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Manes, I am back from my 2 months holiday. I have been all over and have rarely touched a computer, hence no input from me for a while.

Back to school now... I will type up some proper info soon. Just wanted to check in and say again what an awesome thread this is!

Spike... killing it! Looking good, and is that a proper flag you are pulling up there? Can you hold it? Respect bro! Respect also on the physique!

Had to laugh at the kipping video Shawn posted. Before the hols I was getting into the xfit and was doing ridiculous amounts of pull-ups, and admittedly kipping every now and then.
Over the hols however I got new inspiration and input from a great book that I read and also from an old friend of mine that I used to do martial arts with back in the day.
I will share some thoughts soon.... but right now I am supposed to be doing lesson plans....... I'll be back!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
1238154_3310354094644_593506105_n.jpg1014206_3310356494704_2138575717_n.jpg

spent all morning cleaning out my garage

going to get back to the lifting basics for a while and am going to try bulking up a bit just to do something new

i have about 200lbs worth of plates at my buddies in New Hampshire that i need to grab and have to reassemble my bench rack but other than that i am good to go

Magician

20 Year Member
This past weekend I bought a portion of the equipment I was looking at getting. A seven foot barbell with 275lbs of assorted plates (for deadlift), a mulitpurpose bench (for incline and decline dumbbell chest routines), and a few additional dumbbells to expand my current selection at home. My workout room has a low ceiling, so a clean & press routine is out of the question, any military presses will have to be done from a seated position, and squats will have to be done with dumbbells rather than a barbell. As I think about it....I'm going to need lifting gloves eventually. Other than that, I suppose it's time to get to work.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
and squats will have to be done with dumbbells rather than a barbell

you can still do Overhead Squats--it's a killer exercise that requires almost no weight to be effective

google Zercher Squats too

i haven't done them much but it's a good alternative if you don't have a rack

i'm currently on day 5 of my new routine

doing a 6-on/1-off bodybuilding routine

following Spike's advice and doing it all to failure

it's quite terrible

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
It sucks but it works. Most people lack the heart and the courage to push themselves to that place on every set.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
So... I have been mega busy but have also thought hard about what (if anything) I have to contribute here.
I feel that Spike knows most and also writes it up pretty well, and that I struggle to bring anything coherent across.

I shall however try:

So, over the holidays I did not visit a gym for 2 months. All I did was go to the park and work on calisthenics exercises. I also came across a pretty cool book: Convict Conditioning.
Yes, the title sucks and is a tad off-putting, but to be honest it is a pretty decent book. Basically it talks about 6 basic calisthenics moves that have 10 steps each that one should try to master. I devoured every bit of info in that book and would highly recommend it (which is not the case with a lot of other so-called fitness or body building books).
So, over the summer I have been working on the following six moves:
1. One-armed push-up
2. One-armed pull-up
3. One-armed handstand push-up
4. One-legged squat
5. Stand to bridge (or wheel) and back up
6. Hanging straight leg raises (in slow mow)

These might not make much sense to you, but trust me... if you want to achieve the master 10th step in each, then you have a lot of work ahead of you. The author himself says that there are few people who can master each of these - mainly Olympic athletes.
I am getting there and am starting to master one or two of them, but still have a lot of work with others. I am enjoying these as I love calisthenics - i.e. being able to do things with my body.
I feel that the gym exercises always isolate one or two muscles, whereas calisthenics are (as Spike said) compound exercises. For example: Bench presses isolate my chest, whereas the one-armed push-up also works my core like hell!

However, being back to 'home' now, I am going back to the gym and am combining the above with some weights exercises. My chest for example needs a bit of work, so I am throwing in the occasional Bench or Dumbbell presses. Likewise I was doing weighted lunges yesterday to work that ass a bit more.
The TRX (for want of a better name) also features heavily.

I guess all in all I am doing 'my thing', and I feel that this is what body building is all about: We are all different and different things work differently for all of us. I have for example found that doing two sets to failure works better for me than doing 4 sets of a specific number.
It is all about experimenting - a kind of life-long journey.
I am strong as an ox at the moment and am able to do some pretty cool moves. I am however nowhere near as jacked as Spike - but this is something that I am working on this year. And this is meant as a compliment... I wanna beef up a bit.

So.. before I rumble on and on... let me know what you think of this, if anything. I am happy to share more and to discuss more.
Cheers ya all and keep working hard!

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
I also came across a pretty cool book: Convict Conditioning.
Yes, the title sucks and is a tad off-putting, but to be honest it is a pretty decent book. Basically it talks about 6 basic calisthenics moves that have 10 steps each that one should try to master. I devoured every bit of info in that book and would highly recommend it (which is not the case with a lot of other so-called fitness or body building books).
So, over the summer I have been working on the following six moves:
1. One-armed push-up
2. One-armed pull-up
3. One-armed handstand push-up
4. One-legged squat
5. Stand to bridge (or wheel) and back up
6. Hanging straight leg raises (in slow mo)
Holy f**k, man.

Gotta admit I'm curious about the book you mentioned, but I'm wondering in your opinion...what level of fitness should you already be at in order to be able to utilize it effectively without risking injury?

(The only reason I ask is that list of routines you just put up is pretty intense and frankly, way beyond my current ability for the most part.)

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Holy f**k, man.

Gotta admit I'm curious about the book you mentioned, but I'm wondering in your opinion...what level of fitness should you already be at in order to be able to utilize it effectively without risking injury?

(The only reason I ask is that list of routines you just put up is pretty intense and frankly, way beyond my current ability for the most part.)

It has progressions. You won't start with the one arm stuff for awhile.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
What MilkMan said.

The book is pretty cool in that it has 10 steps for each move. Say the one-armed pull-up, step 1 is doing angled-vertical pulling of yourself to a doorframe...very easy and with a total beginner in mind. All of the moves start off that easy. The one-armed pull-up I am currently at step 9, which involves my non-pulling hand grabbing a towel slung over the same bar. Gradually you grab the towel lower and lower until you get to step 10, the full one-armed move.
Point is: the book is well written (simple) and has great instructions on how to progress. The title did put me off at first... but it is worth a shot, albeit not cheap!
I take it you read it, MilkMan X ? Your thoughts?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
convict conditioning makes me think of this guy:

i did have that book at one point though when i first got into this stuff

think my buddy has it...