The New Fitness thread

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Just an update. Placed sixth in my comp... which really pisses me off. :/

aJkySEmZnwinbXuzHNGXjbxASXkLVktojAWs-610xh.jpg

The combo of the shorts and the banner are amazing.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm getting back into fitness after a two month break. While I was in Korea, I was very active in running hashes, not driving, playing touch rugby, soccer/football, and just being overall active. It wouldn't surprise me if I gained all the weight I lost originally back! This gut of mine is killing me and I want to get rid of it.

So far i've done the following:

Indian squats
Planks
DDP Yoga
pro wrestling conditioning
running and walking
Push ups (looking to do 100 at a time in two months)

Most of my motivation from working out comes when I have people to exercise with. I was so spoiled in Korea that I just lost motivation when I came back home. NO ONE here wants to do ANYTHING unless it involves sitting on their ass or getting drunk. It's saddening, I tell you.

DDP yoga is fantastic, I have done it a few times and I felt awesome afterwards. HE is a surprisingly good instructor for being a former pro wrestler.

Been finishing up my training on my next marathon at the end of this month and after that I am going to focus more on calisthenics and core strength, which has gone the wayside as a result of my cardio. I don't normally want to do anything after a 12-16 mile run lol not doing any more races until I find out if i got into the NYC marathon in november. Maybe a spartan if the opportunity comes up with some friends, but no running.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
It could have. It also could have been becsuse my tan was the lightest. Who knows.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Thought I'd bump this thread...getting to finally be spring around here (although not quite...lousy Smarch weather)...

I am ITCHING to get out on that road again. Took 2014 off from endurance cycling and just did core miles locally. I the end, I had more miles '14 than I did '13...but it was done in smaller and more frequent steps.

For some reason, the indoor trainer really fucks with my knees so I haven't been on the bike in months. Instead, I began on strength training. Been lifting free-weights and doing floor exercises since Jan...beginning to finally see results (kinda).

Anyway...thought I'd bump this and see where everyone is...

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
If I don't get into these marathons this year (Srs, does everything need to be a raffle?) I'll take it easy on the distance running and focus on building muscle. My strength has gone down a bunch since focusing on lower body and distance running for a long period of time, so i plan on evening it out.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Man...I lost a ton not using the trainer this winter....I'm pretty shocked.

A few weeks back, I went out and did 10 miles...and it fucking wrecked me. Been building up this week, sitting at 70 miles for the week. Did 24 miles yesterday.

I'm going to try rides in the 20's for April and go up 10 miles a month. Would like to be back up around 50 by July 4th (I normally do a long ride that morning). Time will tell I guess.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Went outside to run a bit since it was finally warm enough. Felt awesome. Little woman wants to do a tough mudder this August, not too keen since I know how its gonna go but we'll see what we can do.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Soccer season is only 3 weeks away, and I'm almost at goal. I've been going out with the kids everyday for about 3 hours at a time, strength training at night, and just started kendo on weekends.

@smoke: really good to hear your regimen is yielding results. I remember reading about you wanting to turn your weight and health around some time back, so that's great news.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
It could have. It also could have been becsuse my tan was the lightest. Who knows.

Jesus man...that's mighty impressive.

Care to disclose your diet habits?? I've been switching mine up a bit lately...lots of yogurt, eggs, cheese, berries, rice and vegetable soup and 1 protein shake a day. I've never used any supplements aside from the whey protein powder...any thoughts on the supplement market in general?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
You guys are fucking awesome.

Edit: My neighbors starting taking an interest in the gym at the beginning of the year, so I've been showing them the ropes. They're in their teens. The thinner one put on 20 pounds quick, and the bigger one has been dropping steadily and increasing strength/performance. He's got a beast build, just carrying a little extra weight where he doesn't want it. They're great kids, and have kept me enjoying the gym.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Jesus man...that's mighty impressive.

Care to disclose your diet habits?? I've been switching mine up a bit lately...lots of yogurt, eggs, cheese, berries, rice and vegetable soup and 1 protein shake a day. I've never used any supplements aside from the whey protein powder...any thoughts on the supplement market in general?

I didn't even see this until today. Thanks for the kind words. Well, diet is key. I mean, I obviously work out as often as possible (almost every single day if I can), but with diet I just try to go high protein, and keep my saturated fats as low as I can. Honestly, I don't count macros, and I too don't take supplements. They're a total waste of money.

Everything you said to eat was good, but I'd stay away from cheese. It's super high in calories and fat. Mostly useless if you're watching what you eat, to be honest. Shame, as it's fucking delicious.

Lots of tuna/chicken/LEAN red meat. Otherwise, I go easy on carbs, but still eat them (literally eating spaghetti as I type this). Just eat often and watch your calories. It sounds stupid, but listen to your body. Once you get a feel for what you ACTUALLY need, you'll be good.

With all that said, I mostly lift for vanity and let health come as a by product. I'm not like everyone else in this thread that are actually striving for health first. So they're the ones doing it right!

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Hey Spike are you on the juice or just awesome genetics....

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
started working out at the gym a few months ago. So far i have lost 10 pounds, and i have put on a good amount of muscle. I've never really been into working out, but it feels good to feel stronger, have more endurance, and just look better. I can see the muscles, and I def see the results of my work. I have a twin brother who also has been wanting to look better, but instead of hitting the gym he is just on this keto diet (a lot like atkins) and yes he has lost weight,but since he doesn't work out he really has no muscle definition. So its good to know that it may be taking me a bit longer to drop pounds, at least i think I'm doing it the right way

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
What are some good workout equipment to have at home?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
What are some good workout equipment to have at home?

A barbell, bench, jump rope, simple squat rack room permitting, and a few dumbbells (optional). You can accomplish a lot with just the barbell and body resistance stuff.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I dismantled the other half of my arcade garage to put a small home gym. I ended up picking up a bench that you can do squats, olympic bar, power of tower(pullups/dips), & some adjustable dumbbells. Going to hang a punching bag & then a spin bike.

Can you guys recommend a good weekly workout for beginners?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
First off…Spike…you're a stud man, you look great. Keep it up.

Second…figuring I'm one of those cycling homo's…here's the latest pic of my bike, added a new seat post today:
DSCN2293_zps9052563d.jpg

Weather is under 20F outside…indoor trainer for now :(
That seat post really makes it look like an upper level ride. Nice taste.
40534_1170856648032_3365348_n.jpg

Old ass pic before I installed the clip on pedals. Still my favorite bike, love it!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That seat post really makes it look like an upper level ride. Nice taste.
40534_1170856648032_3365348_n.jpg

Old ass pic before I installed the clip on pedals. Still my favorite bike, love it!

Thanks! I see you have an Allez...which is a lovely frame. My buddy picked up an E5 smartweld and it's a nice riding bike, brutally stiff.

Yeah, so...the "itis" got the best of me once again...did some more changes. -vs- the pic you quoted, I've changed:

-The saddle to a Romin EVO
-The 5700 105 10-speed group to a 5800 11-speed group (save the brakes/pedals, which are 6800)
-re-cabled with Shimano cables -vs- the stock Jagwire

Here she is in current state:
bike%205-15_zpsdelpqma9.jpg

Now...if it would only stop raining...I could ride it more. We're sitting on 11+ inches of rain for the month a June alone...it just never stops raining...