The old non-folding 2DS

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So I have a 3DS XL that seems to be broken. The damn thing just won’t charge.

I bought a charger off eBay and it worked literally once and now it won’t charge again.

Now there is a chance it’s the charger, but I highly doubt it. I could go buy another one but honestly probably not worth it.

I don’t feel like buying a new 3DS XL because those are still fairly pricey.

However, you can get the 2DS pancake model for like $50. Anyone have any experience with these? It would suck not having the 3D, but honestly at this point just want to play some theatrhythm, Star Fox and Kid Icarus. I guess my main concern is ergonomics...looks like it could be awkward to hold/play. I have small/girly hands so maybe not an issue for me.

Thoughts? Should I take the plunge and just get the 3DS? I don’t think i’d want the XL version if I did, I think the regular size would be fine. But I am tempted by the 2DS...I mean $50 is pretty good deal.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Can't you just change the battery?
Saw on yt it's pretty simple to do and cheaper than a new console.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Oh jeez I didn’t even think about that - sometimes I am so thick, lol.

I will try that. I think I need to get some special screw driver to open it up maybe, but still a better option.

Thanks Ratson!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If for some reason you can't change the battery, or the change doesn't so anything, I can sell you my Zelda 3DS with a circle pad pro for a bro price.

If you choose a 2DS, they aren't too bad. I thought it would have been awkward but it was surprisingly comfortable when I used my brothers. It's just weird not folding to standby.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Thanks G much appreciated. I’ll go the battery route for now and will let you guys know, thanks for the offer though!

The other thing I remember is that it used to be a pain transferring profiles from one console to another...that was years ago so hopefully they simplified things now because I had a bunch of digital games.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Thanks G much appreciated. I’ll go the battery route for now and will let you guys know, thanks for the offer though!

The other thing I remember is that it used to be a pain transferring profiles from one console to another...that was years ago so hopefully they simplified things now because I had a bunch of digital games.
It wasn't a pain for me transferring my 3DS to my New 3DS XL,just took a while. If your system isn't holding a charge, I'm not sure what you can transfer via SD card.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The pancake is the truth! Price is right, and it plays fine. They are TANKS.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I owned one and they are pretty sturdy. Who actually plays with the 3d feature anyways? That shit always messed with my eyes.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I owned one and they are pretty sturdy. Who actually plays with the 3d feature anyways? That shit always messed with my eyes.

The 3D effect is much better on the New 3DS or New 3DS XL than the original 3DS/3DS XL models. Much better viewing angles so you don't have to hold the system perfectly still in a "sweet spot".

There are some games where the added depth perception really does help. Kid Icarus, Star Fox, any 3D platformers. But in some games it's a pointless gimmick, or worse, it tanks the frame rate.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

This^.

I only played a 3ds ONCE.
*in best Chris Jericho voice*
nehvah, evah, agayin!

It was at a kiosk at Target. I slid the slider all the way up.

INSTANT ice-pick thru the middle of my left eyeball feeling. I was stunned.

Had to sit down for a good 20 mins to shake it off.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I never use the 3D slider. No games that I see use it as an integral part of gameplay.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't used the regular 2ds, but I grabbed a 2dsXL for my daughter for $100 a few weeks ago and i liked it so much I got one for myself, even though I have a 3dsxl. It's become my favorite of the family of systems.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I had one, worked well enough but don't pack it unsecured. It destroyed the screen.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If I had the time or patience for 3DS games, I'd pick the New 2DS XL for sure. I've tried the OG 2DS, it's alright, probably the best part is no hinge which is the most common failure point on DS systems. Only downside is you get that crummy OG 3DS performance, the New 3DS is a lot better. I never cared much for the 3D feature anyway,

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

moe, whatever you choose to do, make sure to remember this: once you transfer your stuff to a "New" 3DS, you can't transfer it back to a regular 3DS nor a 3DS XL, not even a 2DS. It will have to be a "New" 3DS (best one imo), a "New" 3DS XL or a "New" 2DS XL. I learned that the hard way.

Also, the 3D sucks on the original 3DS but it's much better on the "New" systems with that camera tracking. The Sega 3D Classics are awesome on those.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

The only time I really used the 3D features was the Sega games done by M2. They actually made the shit look good. Most of the time otherwise, I turned that shit off. lol

And LOL @ Cory's avatar. I had to look at it for a second to remember where that came from.

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
moe, whatever you choose to do, make sure to remember this: once you transfer your stuff to a "New" 3DS, you can't transfer it back to a regular 3DS nor a 3DS XL, not even a 2DS. It will have to be a "New" 3DS (best one imo), a "New" 3DS XL or a "New" 2DS XL. I learned that the hard way.

Also, the 3D sucks on the original 3DS but it's much better on the "New" systems with that camera tracking. The Sega 3D Classics are awesome on those.

Cory!

Shit that sucks - my “broken” 3DS is actually a new 3DS xl...so I wouldn’t be able to transfer to the pancake 2ds...but thanks for clarifying.

I guess that confirms I should try the battery on my existing model hopefully that will resolve everything.

I am kinda shocked by all the positive feedback on the pancake though. I may get one anyway for the kids assuming Nintendo still has em for $50, but that does stink because I had a bunch of digital games.

I won’t be able to get to my 3ds for awhile, but when I get back home that will be step 1. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I actually really like the animal crossing new 3ds model. If I had my pick that would be my first choice but used ones in the USA are pricey and too bad it is region locked because Japanese ones seem more reasonable. Fookin Nintendo.