The Overstreet Guide To Collecting Video Games

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Saw this mentioned over on Hardcoregaming101, but there is now...

The Overstreet Guide To Collecting Video Games
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1603602003

Seems to be the latest in Overstreet's "how to" line of books, which, I know, is just what this already out of control retro gaming market needed. Anyone looked through it by chance?

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
"...shines a spotlight on this booming hobby."

"It [...] even suggests how to incorporate games into other collections."

Hilarious.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Great. We're fucked. Glad I bought all those Everdrives and only need 5-6 more Game Boy games before I say I'm done.

Jon

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
-Spend all your money on games
-Place them on the shelf
-Pretend it's a worthy investment
-Regret life

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
This is good, hopefully I can sell everything off for big money in another few years.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That looks like something that someone self-published in their basement.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That looks like something that someone self-published in their basement.

It has all the qualities of those early 90's "Unauthorized Nintendo Game Strategies" books.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Just what we need. The "for Dummies" version will surely be next.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I saw this in Previews and ordered a copy for shits and giggles with my monthly comics. It came in my last box but I haven't got around to doing more then leafing through it.

Since it's from Overstreet I was expecting a straight up price guide. It mostly looks like general overviews of various gaming systems and games for noobs. I was expecting much worse honestly. I'll report back once I get some time to look through it.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I know "collectors gonna collect", but it's still odd to see people treating videogames like baseball cards now. Collectible card games that you can also play like Magic: TG have been around for a long time; why can't people just stick to that to scratch their collecting itch? With videogames available in multiple digital forms these days, why buy more physical games than you can possibly play?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Does it cover PC games?

Are any PC games other than boxed copies of early 80s titles like Softcore Adventure actually worth anything? Even complete copies of revered Lucasarts and Sierra titles don't seem to move at high prices.

That said, if you actually did want Windows 95/98/XP software...you can find some great stuff that people are basically just giving away for the cost of shipping.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I am aware. The big box boom was a bust, the collector's market is too small. So yes, those games do not move because they are priced too high.

Also, people have great nostalgia for computer games, but they forget the actual experience. It is often a lot of work to get something to work, unlike console games. And again, the media is an issue. CD-ROM games are the best bets, at least those should still work fine.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I am aware. The big box boom was a bust, the collector's market is too small. So yes, those games do not move because they are priced too high.

Also, people have great nostalgia for computer games, but they forget the actual experience. It is often a lot of work to get something to work, unlike console games. And again, the media is an issue. CD-ROM games are the best bets, at least those should still work fine.

yup. i tried to unload some Big Box Amiga and PC games. Not a single taker on ebay.

fake

15 Year Member
All games that go through the postal system are worthless to me now that people are sending their poop in the mail.

cologuard-colon-cancer-screening-made-easy-large-3.jpg

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Funny you mention that. I actually worked on an Assay that could detect colon cancer in poop about 10 years ago. That shit is no joke.
The problem was my assay was only relevant to 30% of the population.

Diagnostics like that are big $$$ if you can get it to catch on. People are much more likely to poop in a box than go in for routine colonoscopy. And insurance would rather pay for a test than costly colon cancer therapy if you are high risk.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah. Game collecting for noobs.

fake

15 Year Member
Haha I know it's a good thing. Just keep your butt nugs away from my carts.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Are any PC games other than boxed copies of early 80s titles like Softcore Adventure actually worth anything? Even complete copies of revered Lucasarts and Sierra titles don't seem to move at high prices.

That said, if you actually did want Windows 95/98/XP software...you can find some great stuff that people are basically just giving away for the cost of shipping.

I have been collecting legacy PC stuff for a few years now. There's actually a lot of valuable PC games from the 80's and 90's, but you have to know what you're looking for, and there's not anything in the Magical Chase range as far as I know, except world of warcraft collectors edition. Most the valuables are original, big box releases, and especially special/collectors editions. You would probably be surprised what original complete copies of Doom, and Fallout 1 go for. Some of the gold box D&D games can fetch a good amount as well, such as Neverwinter Nights.

PC collecting is great though, and cheap. That's why I got into it. That and the games are awesome. You actually get a lot of cool stuff when you collect complete PC games, instead of a shitty black and white manual, and a plain cardboard box like NES stuff. You get nice boxes usually, and lots of extras that really help when you play the game.

I mean how awesome is this?

stonekeep.jpg

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I have been collecting legacy PC stuff for a few years now. There's actually a lot of valuable PC games from the 80's and 90's, but you have to know what you're looking for, and there's not anything in the Magical Chase range as far as I know, except world of warcraft collectors edition. Most the valuables are original, big box releases, and especially special/collectors editions. You would probably be surprised what original complete copies of Doom, and Fallout 1 go for. Some of the gold box D&D games can fetch a good amount as well, such as Neverwinter Nights.

PC collecting is great though, and cheap. That's why I got into it. That and the games are awesome. You actually get a lot of cool stuff when you collect complete PC games, instead of a shitty black and white manual, and a plain cardboard box like NES stuff. You get nice boxes usually, and lots of extras that really help when you play the game.

I mean how awesome is this?

View attachment 42339

Sweet!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Old school pc gaming. I had some fond memories. Playing Duke Nukem 3d and Mechwarrior Online with my friend Phil who lived across the street was the first time I played a game online, 56k modem style. BorrowING games, zipping them up and copying to floppy discs. Have like 40 floppies for one game. Good times.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
PC Games also have the problem of not enough coverage on the subject. I always find games that I can't find a selling history of on Ebay. One example, Panzer Dragoon, which I have sealed. No sealed on Ebay or sold. This one, opened has a BIN of $75: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361886947004
There are countless other times where I get a jewel case and CD of a game, and can find no pictures online of what the outer box looks like. Because there are so many PC games, there ends up being a part of the marketplace that is in "unknown quality" where you can have a rare game but no one knows what it is. And then there are not really enough collectors in the market to sell a complete boxed or even sealed copy, not enough sales to determine a value. And then again, how do you know the thing is actually rare or not? Its quite difficult. But often you do end up finding stuff for cheap that is loose, and like all things if you keep at it, you will find big box stuff.