The people who won't let go

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
@nruva: Yeah.

Odd that you have it on as just a thing in the background though, I think it's pretty cool, but electricity is just too expensive for that over here. Plus I'd just sell it at that point probably. I have two egret 2s and I honestly can't remember the last time I turned them on, however if I sold them I'd miss them instantly. I'd love to sell them both and blow the money on something stupid for the hifi but the main reason I haven't is the room would be too empty without them, and a friend still owns one so every time I went over I'd be .. wtf have I done. About a year ago I sold all my my neo stuff, literally the first time since joining this site I didn't own anything neogeo related either homecart or mvs, I didn't miss it that much really and the money came in handy. Now I only own a one slot and a multicart and I put that in about 5weeks ago after rotating a cab, turned it on and flicked through the list of games and just went meh, and turned it off.

Maybe I'll play some tomorrow. Remind myself why I like it.

I pretty much feel the same way. I'd miss the cab if I sold it, even though I don't use it as much as I should. Still, I sometimes think I should just sell the thing and get it out of the living room. Especially the week before or the day of a move ;) The power isn't too horrible. I calculated it a few years back and it came down to about $5-10 a month. It was negligible enough that I basically don't worry about it.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
I'm not really sure why anyone expects to go into an arcade and see loads of 90s games in there, I guess they aren't but they are wanting them there. Let me see are you going to have loads of 2d fighters no normal person wants to play? For 25c a credit and when someone does play it they 1CC it because they're into fighters, or are you going to have $1 lightgun games and racers that are over in 5mins ready for the next customer.

MVS and CPS2 / JAMMA was right at the time, but it certainly isn't now, and that's why it's dead and you don't see it in arcades. No point complaining about it, it makes sense.

I don't play much modern stuff, a lot of it is utter shit but if you put the time in, there are far more involving games than anything the neo has to offer. Maybe the replay value isn't as high but I've had some great experiences on modern games, the mass effect series, uncharted series, skyrim etc. Games are very disposable nowadays but honestly, lets pay $200 for burning fight and credit feed it in 30 mins, that game has no replay value either.

Shit games exist regardless of generation, people just have rose tinted glasses and the cloud of nostalgia surrounding old games. I find mixing it up is the best way, I can't honestly remember the last time I switched the ps3, 360 or an arcade cab on, but a mix of the lot is best. Been playing more chess than anything.
Actually the reason arcades are dead has everything to do with the operators poor understanding of the market. In the 80s throughout the 90s the target demographic was 8-20 year olds, today home consoles have completely consumed this demographic leaving a cultural void, the operators have consistently targeted a younger audience scrambling for profits, but most arcade ops were never game fans and have aged without understanding the market. The video arcade must find a cultural niche that works such as targeting the same kids that crowded the arcades in the early 90s the generation is now between 25 and 40 years old. As an example Ground Kontrol in Portland OR is two floors of mostly older games, lots of pinball and a few newer machines its 21 and over after 6 PM, serves alcohol has events that cater to an older crowd and is not located in a mall or anywhere I would let my children go after dark, yet its thriving many nights they are at capacity. You see the opposite is true, why would a twelve year old want to play light gun games over and over when his xbox or ps3 does it better except to kill 5 mins before the movie starts. Ask why someone with fond memories of playing sf2 wouldnt want a place to take a date without children running around redemption machines and kick back some beers with friends over a rampage marathon.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Everyone has some stupidity they're into. Mine happens to be 16 bit games. Love me some Neo / Snes/ Amiga gaming. There's still many great games I haven't gotten around to playing, many I probably never will. I have owned many systems since the 16 bit era but nothing struck me the same way those systems did, maybe I was just at a more impressionable than I am now but If im going to game 80% of the time I'll do it on one of the oldies. Can I let go? Sure, but a man has to have some childish stupidity in his life and this is mine! :D

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Actually the reason arcades are dead has everything to do with the operators poor understanding of the market.

This. Every time I see an arcade I get excited, every time I go in one and see that the operator has no idea what makes an arcade great I get super bummed out. And invariably the arcade goes out of business in short order.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
It's an interesting line of questioning (though probably one that could have been phrased a little kinder for this particular forum). Here's what I think.

I have Vinyls, not because of nostalgia (I was born in 88) I have vinyls because they are cool, they're a piece of history, and because large portions of the music I like is from the 50s 60s and 70s. Music from different eras has something different and special about it, a level of artistry and care about it that doesn't get old. People who like bob dylan aren't old crusty guys who can't let it go, there is value there that should be and needs to be rediscovered by future generations. And that isn't just the case with great artists, there is music from the seventies and eighties that isn't artistic by any means, Punk, New Wave, Pop, but it has something simple and great abut it that doesn't really exist outside of it.

16 bit arcade gaming has something simple and great about it that doesn't really exist outside of it, and when people much younger then me play on my cabinet they don't play it like it's old and tired, they play the heck out of it and have a blast, even if they've never seen a Big Red in their lives.

There's something to be said about your whole life being about nostalgia, living in the past is no-ones friend, but it's shortsighted and misinformed to think that 16-bit gaming is something that should be forgotten about or let go of. Lord knows that games these days could learn a lot from the past.

Jusayyin

I think you made a very good analogy, I have always felt that collecting favorite games is no different than good music. You can download music which serves most people very well, but there will always be a market for a high end turntable playing classic vinyl through a tube amp just because of the experience and the ritual, history, nostalgia and fun. It's not that much different from playing a treasured MVS cart or Jamma on your restored arcade cab or finely crafted CMVS. Not to mention just finding some of the lost games of your youth on eBay must be akin to an audiophile finding an original Elvis or Beatles Pressing.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I enjoy playing long ass games as much as I do reading essay forum posts. I'd rather have a few quick rounds of FF or something and get my fix. RPG's are just too goddamn time consuming. However what I don't mind is drinking scotch while I run through an FPS with all cheats enabled. Or a good game of Counter Strike once in a blue moon. It's my attention span really, I can't stay interested.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why do I still play the neo? Because there are still people who are willing to play on a cab standing next to me. Arcade isn't only about the games. It's also the atmosphere and the people who play there. If you're just playing those fighting games by yourself in your own man cave, it's pretty obvious you'll get sick of the AI sooner or later.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
During the last couple of years I've been quite disillusioned with the home cart hobby, the scene is pretty scummy nowadays, and I'm not talking about the AF3 fiasco, it was an anomaly after all.Prices are going through the roof and converting is rampant. Many of the rarer titles seem scarce nowadays, I wager there is a lot of hoarding going on. I haven't really played the Neo in ages, no two player competition kills one's interest in fighters pretty quickly. I turned my system on last Sat, put the difficulty to 4, and plowed through MotW with Rock and I didn't enjoy it at all.

But like you and nruva, if I sold my carts, I'd miss them instantly. There are still a few holdout games I'd like to get ( MS2, Pulstar and Ninja Master's) but they are, like I said above, overpriced atm and also among the most heavily faked/converted games around.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You still play MW2? Better than any CODs after IMO.

Glitches and all, MW2 is still a fun game. My live expired in June but i haven't played since April. Too busy with making CMVS units and doing repairs on boards. Hopefully in a month I can get back on.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I love Neo Geo. AES and MVS. I only buy what I really like and have always wanted to own. Complete collections are pointless to me because of the Success Joe's and Power Spikes 2's in the library. I also have patience so I can enjoy this hobby without blowing too much of my money, holding out for deals. The most I've ever spent on a single game was $350 for a US Slug 3 home cart and I have more than gotten my money's worth in artistic appreciation alone on that particular title. I see it as an interactive piece of art. Some people spend 10 times that on a picture to go on their wall to just look at. And good for them! It's their money/ hobby/ taste so whatever makes them happy. These games mean a lot to me for many reasons and I enjoy them. Pretty cut and dry. I'm glad to not be jaded.

Hawk

Crossed Swords Squire
I dont think its about letting go. Nostalgia counts for everything. I grew up playing an MVS cab all the time and looked forward to dropping quarters enmasse into it lol. I love that you can now own these things as a hobby and enjoy them. Neo has a ton of unique awesome games! If all I could play was Metal Slug on the MVS I would be happy. The games have so much depth for arcade games. I still find new tricks and things I never saw before.

I own almost all systems in the last 4 generations and the current gen has totally lost me. I am so sick of wasting $60 on an MMO or new game that is just another clone or dud with hype. I built an expensive gaming rig and what do I do with it? Compress video for youtube and surf forums. I rarely even play BF3 anymore. I dont know how to explain it. I would rather spend an hour with Baseball Stars 2 than 20 in Final Fantasy XIII. These are the games I grew up looking forward to and wanting to play and own, and now I can finally afford them.

The MVS gets cool points just for being a epic arcade cab. I mean everyone knows what Neo Geo is that are real gamers from my time. They all respect it for what it was. To me all the new games have gotten lost in graphical bliss and there is no content or love anymore. I mean you play metal slug or baseball stars and you can feel that the devs enjoyed what they were doing and wanted to give the games their own flair. Now all we have it a million COD clones and WoW Clones. I play alot of JRPGS but mostly classic ones. Everytime I put in Killzone into my PS3 I feel like I was put into a sterile bubble where noone was allowed to do anything but pretend they were making a movie that your could play with photo realism. Games are trying to hard to be accepted my the main stream critics etc. Games used to be fun not graphical orgies.

I feel alot of the fun with Neo is learning the nuances of each of the titles because it seems to be unique in that area. You can play one title for hours and still figure out stuff lol.

I just miss the days when games were supposed to be fun. They weren't supposed to simulate real combat or conflict. They were there to make you laugh with your friends and enjoy them for what they were a distraction.

Last edited:

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
nruva: long time, what be your new handle? Hope all is well with ya, man.

Interesting thread, bout of insomnia made me come up with a kind bold and interesting prospectus. will have a new message thread on this one, want comments, ideas, etc....

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't think I'll ever let go.The Neo is still one of the rarest/coolest systems I have ever owned. It's still fun to play by yourself or with a friend. And most games don't require weeks to beat. Sure prices have gone up on neo games, but prices have also gone up on other retro console games as well. Shit, I'm more concerned with these ridiculous gas prices then I am neo games. If you can't afford them then you could always go the emulation or multicart route.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
If I lost my game collection, I'd be ok (still have teh roms)..

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I do not see it as a question of letting go. Games are games and there will always be a place for them in society. These should be looked at as escapes from daily life. I say go for it and buy all you want as long as the basics are covered.

GAMEFAN

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Nothing beats the 16 bit era period. There is not enough justification to let go as long as your gaming/hoarding is in balance with the rest of your life.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Stopped by Gamedude today and can't believe their AES shelf is nearly empty (except Galaxy Fight and Super Spy AES), even as recent as 2 years ago they still had plenty of common carts like KOF and FF series and those aren't common anymore, FYI, this store used to be where you can find all, if not most used AES games in the late 90s. I just hope NGDEV will get full use of all their new shells and cases, there aren't just enough games to go around anymore.

Sunsoft

Zero's Secretary
All my carts have been sitting on a shelf collecting dust for years and exposed to the sunlight, only occasionally I'll play the odd game when I can be bothered.... but that's rare

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
I think there are 3 main viewpoints towards the Neo Geo.

1. The 1st viewpoint is from those who were either born after the Neo Geo boom or didn't care for arcade games at the time. For these folks, the Neo Geo is a crazy antique that doesn't make sense.

I was born after the Neo Geo boom, and I love all gaming. I've got a big red myself, so I don't consider it a "crazy antique that doesn't make sense".

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
I really hate when people decide to move on, now all of a sudden they need to badmouth and trash the thing and community that they were a part of. If you don't like it anymore get the hell out silently. Why do you care what others collect for and why they do I? I just got into NG about 2 months ago and have played NAM more than any of the other hundreds of games and dozens of systems..its fun...that's why I do it.

This embodies how I feel about this post, and collecting/playing in general.

GameLifter

New Challenger
I recently picked up an AES because I am both a game collector and a huge fan of Neo-Geo games. I enjoyed games like Metal Slug and KoF in arcades back in the day and thought it would be cool to own the AES because of it. I will admit that the mystique of the console and it's massive cartridges were part of me deciding to get one but it has only increased my enjoyment of the console and makes me feel even more privileged to own such an awesome piece of gaming history. I plan on playing and enjoying my AES for years to come but I'll still play games on other consoles as well, both old and new.

Sunsoft

Zero's Secretary
I recently picked up an AES because I am both a game collector and a huge fan of Neo-Geo games. I enjoyed games like Metal Slug and KoF in arcades back in the day and thought it would be cool to own the AES because of it. I will admit that the mystique of the console and it's massive cartridges were part of me deciding to get one but it has only increased my enjoyment of the console and makes me feel even more privileged to own such an awesome piece of gaming history. I plan on playing and enjoying my AES for years to come but I'll still play games on other consoles as well, both old and new.

I also love the smell of older neo geo aes games, nothing beats it

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Nice post Kernow. I understand you´re point, tough its own i don´t completely feel empathy with.
you ask if i´ll play Samurai Showdown for the rest of my life...well without wanting to feel silly, i believe i will.
To me its one of "those" games. Along with R-Type, Outrun, Raiden 2, Shinobi etc..
And the Neo library has tons of "those" games. Fatal Fury Special, Metal Slug, Neo Turf, Real Bout Special, Last Resort, Kof 98 and so on...
Sometimes i stay away for a while from the old games (i hate the Retro expression - do you went to watch a Retro movie or read a Retro book?) and i start to miss them immensely. It´s not about nostalgia, its the raw feeling of these games, the sound, the instant satisfaction of every button press. And in my opinion the Neo is the embodiment of this.
Also i love coming back to these old games and see them with difrent eyes, i always find something new. No matter how many times i´ve played them.
I still have to play with Ryo on FFS....