The PSX DVR; the dumpster fire PS2 that I love so much

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I remember NCSX having them for sale briefly I thought they were PS1 only? Is there another system I’m thinking of?

You need to do an anime tentacle review channel now.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I remember NCSX having them for sale briefly I thought they were PS1 only? Is there another system I’m thinking of?

You need to do an anime tentacle review channel now.
You’re confusing decades of dork misnomer with the only Sony product actually named “PSX”. It’s a PS2.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
it is odd how the PS1 became the PSX but the PSX is actually a PS2 DVR

The only thing odd is that ota dipshits have been using the letters “PSX” for decades to describe something that was never officially called that.

NeoTeam546

Cheng's Errand Boy
20 Year Member
it is odd how the PS1 became the PSX but the PSX is actually a PS2 DVR
I was heavily puzzled by this "PSX" term too back in the day.

Then later to come out the PSX system did exist.

Anyways I almost bought a PSX off ebay years ago, but was puzzled as to why alot of them were broken, guessing the HD took a dump in them?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I was heavily puzzled by this "PSX" term too back in the day.

Then later to come out the PSX system did exist.

Anyways I almost bought a PSX off ebay years ago, but was puzzled as to why alot of them were broken, guessing the HD took a dump in them?

I’d say at least %75 of all PS2s are dead. It was a total POS system when it came to reliability. When I worked at EB, every time there was a major release like GTA or MGS or any EA sports…there would be a corresponding increase in PS2 system sales to replace what was killed by heavy use of a popular game. We also had a wave of dead on arrival ones in…I want to say mid 2003.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The only thing odd is that ota dipshits have been using the letters “PSX” for decades to describe something that was never officially called that.

AHEM:

gmjmFYV.jpg

I don't know why spergs get mad at people calling the PS1 the PSX. Yeah we know you read the PSX DVR wikipedia article, settle down.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Fucking owned holy shit. If this were a japanese dating sim MSX game Burning Fight would have received lots of 'point' flags from Sylvie-chan, possibly even a date

I've been calling it the PSX my whole life

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I've always wanted one since they look so cool, but I was told on here years and years ago that they're an absolute bitch to ship because of their weight.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I've always wanted one since they look so cool, but I was told on here years and years ago that they're an absolute bitch to ship because of their weight.
Was thinking this too, also since they are so fragile you can bet it's gonna break on the way to your house even if you pay 2x the console's value in shipping.

I'd totally buy one as a luxury master-console item. Just curious, anyone know In what other ways can this thing break easily, assuming its owner would leave it in the same spot and handle the disc tray with care?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
AHEM:

gmjmFYV.jpg

I don't know why spergs get mad at people calling the PS1 the PSX. Yeah we know you read the PSX DVR wikipedia article, settle down.
All you’re doing there is illustrating where people picked up the term. Please show me where Sony, the ones that made it, call it a PSX on retail packaging, promotion, etc.

Also your graphic leaves out how many 90s things had an “x” in them. It was a very popular thing…

Do you call your Dreamcast “Katana”, your Xbox “Project Midway” or your GameCube “Dolphin”? If so, then I guess “PSX” makes perfect sense.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Was thinking this too, also since they are so fragile you can bet it's gonna break on the way to your house even if you pay 2x the console's value in shipping.

I'd totally buy one as a luxury master-console item. Just curious, anyone know In what other ways can this thing break easily, assuming its owner would leave it in the same spot and handle the disc tray with care?
The HDD is tied to the system and there's no known solution to substitute it if the hard drive goes dead.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
All you’re doing there is where people picked up the term. Please show me where Sony, the ones that made it, call it a PSX on retail packaging, promotion, etc.

Also your graphic leaves out how many 90s things had an “x” in them. It was a very popular thing…

Do you call your Dreamcast “Katana”, your Xbox “Project Midway” or your GameCube “Dolphin”? If so, then I guess “PSX” makes perfect sense.
hahahahaha thats the most sperg, wikipedia-reading zoomer answer possible

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
All you’re doing there is where people picked up the term. Please show me where Sony, the ones that made it, call it a PSX on retail packaging.
All I'm doing is saying this is pointless nerd nitpicking.

"Metal Gear Solid (PSX)? You mean they made a metal gear game exclusive for the rare, Japan only PS2 DVR called the PSX? I am very smart xdd"

If you want I can post a link to the devkit manual PDF where sony calls it a PSX, or open a bios in a hex editor to see the term PS-X plastered over a couple of strings... this didn't appear out of nowhere.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Incorrect. When I worked at game stores, it was a retail term to call it psx. In the system and in corporate, it was called and labeled PSX. EB games did it, GameStop did it; that’s where the spread of the term came from- at least in the USA.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

"Metal Gear Solid (PSX)? You mean they made a metal gear game exclusive for the rare, Japan only PS2 DVR called the PSX? I am very smart xdd"

If you want I can post a link to the devkit manual PDF where sony calls it a PSX, or open a bios in a hex editor to see the term PS-X plastered over a couple of strings... this didn't appear out of nowhere.
It for sure didn’t appear out of nowhere. It was official terminology internally. I don’t dispute that.

I’ve never read the wiki for PSX, assuming it exists. The “X” thing has been driving me nuts since before Wikipedia existed.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Incorrect. When I worked at game stores, it was a retail term to call it psx. In the system and in corporate, it was called and labeled PSX. EB games did it, GameStop did it; that’s where the spread of the term came from- at least in the USA.
I worked at EB during the PS period and I can confirm this. EB, a company not owned by Sony, called PlayStation “PSX”. We were relieved they didn’t continue with “PSX2”, or at least I remember making a joke about it at the time. That’s not official though. Do you know what official is?

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
ota dipshits have been using the letters “PSX” for decades
I worked at EB during the PS period and I can confirm this. EB, a company not owned by Sony, called PlayStation “PSX”.
That’s not official though. Do you know what official is?

Ok well you gave yourself your fucking answer. Now go buy a Desert Eagle Mk XIX, and stick it in your mouth and pull the trigger and become OFFICIALLY dead

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

I heard that the biggest thing is the HDD getting busted, and that the other internals are also more fragile than a typical PS2 for whatever reason. It's almost like a LaserActive – if you ship it, it will break.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

A dev kit...a open BIOS...these are not official retail nomenclature. The MGS comment is a much a straw man as your meem was. Do you know what "official" is?

At no point am I claiming that hundreds of thousands of people didn't use incorrect terminology. In fact, that IS my entire complaint in a nutshell. When people are apparently amazed that a "PSX" is a PS2 they clearly have been using the wrong term for a long time...but not so long that they remember when NCS was selling the actual PSX...or when NCS was simply called NCS instead of NCSX...what they became known as since "ncs.com" was taken and adding an "x" was a very common way to get around that.

If a Playstation 5 is a PS5 and a Playstation 4 is a PS4 and a Playstation 3 is a PS3 and a Playstation 2 is a PS2...why did you REQUIRE than an "x" be added to "PS"?

Is it because X is short for Xtreme? Don't be so extreme.

...yeah, pretty much. X Games. The movie XXX. People spelling extreme as Xtreme...yeah, all that was dead by the time the PS2 came out.