The Surge (Sci-Fi Melee D-Souls Clone)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Gameplay seems interesting and the ability to target different parts on an enemy to structure what loot you can possibly get is cool. Seems loot may be generic ala Diablo but I hope there are unique items too.

Seems to have some kind of skill system.

Not much info though other than some gameplay of the very first area and the game comes out next month.

Anyone following this game?

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Thanks for posting about this title. It was on my radar when I heard about the game play mechanics and influences but completely forgot about it.

Found a recent combat trailer:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Unfortunately not much gameplay has been seen yet.

I think there is video of a boss battle, but it's mostly the same beginner area. About 20 minutes of actual gameplay that some youtubers have stretched to like 2 hours?

What I'm really interested to know about is skills and different builds.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
This will end up a cult classic.

I picked it up on a whim and after 6 hours or so I'm quit enjoying the aesthetics and gameplay.

I put a few hundred hours into DS3, but that's about it, so I'm not an expert on these types of games, but I certainly get the appeal and enjoy them even if I'm not as much as a rabid player like some.

The gameplay feels tight/responsive and the enemies are interesting/challenging.

The upgrade system seems quite varied and diverse, so there's definitely a lot of options on how you can play.

I haven't read any proper reviews, but I feel pretty good about this title so far.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
72% on Metacritic so far.

Deck13 is the dev on it, same dev who made Lords of the Fallen. If you've played LotF, this will remind you of it more than Dark Souls, at least IMO. Movement feels about the same as LotF.

Enemies are tougher, though. The first little peon-types can take half your health in one or two hits if you're not careful (and non-leveled). Some of the enemies have much more range on certain moves than it looks like they'll have, but that's obviously learnable.

It does seem pretty solid overall. I liked LotF quite a bit, so it's nice to play another game by D13 that's more polished.

Real nice PS4 Pro work, too- works like Nioh in that you can choose increased resolution (1620p in this case) at 30 fps, or 1080p at 60 fps (the latter is better, gameplay-wise, but offering the choice is the best way to use the hardware).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I might pick this up when it's $40...Still interested but not in any real hurry to play something at the moment.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The character design looks really uninspired. I know game play is king, but the look and character/level design are pretty key components in what made DS so great.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The character design looks really uninspired. I know game play is king, but the look and character/level design are pretty key components in what made DS so great.

They're fairly standard to be honest.

I will say that between your exo suit options and crazy weaponry, the hero character looks pretty damn cool once you get some gear.

I've put 20 hours into this and my opinion is the same--a respectable DS-like game worth playing, but definitely a better purchase after some price drops or Steam sale.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was bored so I ended up picking this up.

I concur with what average joe has said.

Combat is a little faster/looser than Dark Souls, but is still pretty satisfying.

Implants and Armor seem cool and like you could make some interesting builds...but we'll see.

I just got to the 2nd boss. Seem like kind of a trek to get to him unless i'm missing a shortcut. You unlock a sweet shortcut, only to go through a shitty area and then unlock another shortcut which...really isn't that short.