Things you've never done that most everyone else has

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I've never paid for a haircut (or one for my children)
I've never paid for a car wash
I've never paid for an oil change
I've never owned anything from North Face / Patagonia / Thule, etc and etc
I've never posed LEGO in compromising positions or action figures going down on each other

Most of this comes undoubtedly from my father. When i'd ask him things growing up, "Like why don't we do this, or why aren't we doing that?" The answer was usually a form of, "Because you're not a pussy." It is probably a lot more to do with growing up relatively poor and my parents having to do things themselves. I've been more fortunate, but some of these are ingrained in me. I can't fathom paying someone to cut my or my kids hair.

What don't you ever do that almost everyone else does?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I used to never floss, but I picked that up about 10 years ago. I have no idea what was wrong with me. Zero cavities, so I was at least brushing well.

How long until this thread goes sexual?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I've never paid for a haircut (or one for my children)

But I assume your wife does? Unless you've got a whole bunch of kids, it seems like a weird hill to die on. My dad was a notorious cheapskate (also from growing up poor) but he would religiously bring me to his barber every six to eight weeks whether I wanted to or not for a $10-$12 cut until I was old enough to go myself. These days, I'll take him to a barber shop for a cut and a hot lather shave when I'm in town. One of the many ways I try to thank him for everything he did. To each their own, I guess.

- I've sort of never paid for cable television (cut the cord in 2008 and my two previous apartment complexes had packages built in to the rent).
- I've never played a Call of Duty, Halo or Battlefield game.
- I've never played a full game of a simulation sports game (Madden, FIFA, etc.).
- I've never eaten food at Applebee's. (though I gather I'm not missing much)

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've never flown in a plane. I've been inside a parked one, on a high school field trip, that's it. I'm not afraid to fly or anything, just never needed to fly anywhere.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
But I assume your wife does? Unless you've got a whole bunch of kids, it seems like a weird hill to die on. My dad was a notorious cheapskate (also from growing up poor) but he would religiously bring me to his barber every six to eight weeks whether I wanted to or not for a $10-$12 cut until I was old enough to go myself. These days, I'll take him to a barber shop for a cut and a hot lather shave when I'm in town. One of the many ways I try to thank him for everything he did. To each their own, I guess.
I've cut my wife's hair since we met. She's more frugal than me on stuff like that. She buys 1-2 tee shirts a year, Life is Good, and a pair of jeans and sweats every 2-3 years. No makeup, no jewelry and she remains gorgeous. 4 kids, I cut all of their hair. I'm certainly not trained, but I don't think it's a complicated thing either. I don't besmirch anyone paying for it, just something I don't get. I'm pretty confident my kids will do the same.

Once upon a time I wrote a lengthy post here about my Wahl buzzcutter I bought on Amazon 20 years ago. $15 and works as well today as it did the day I bought it. I've also left an Amazon review on it.

Here's my kids Christmas Eve, fresh off of home hair cuts the day before:
Spoiler:
Screenshot_20230105-191317_Messages (1).jpg

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I've never seen E.T. My friends and I were all about our first cars when it came out.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
We're like brothers or something now.
For me there was literally nowhere to learn or go on one even if I could. The house I grew up in was on a big ass hill between a major road and a river. Not like the city or suburbs. It did suck when I went to friends on the weekends and they were all used to riding bikes everywhere. There was just enough of a flat area beside the house to set up a skateboard ramp so I could at least skate.

There was lots of other stuff to do outside though like swimming, fishing, canoe trips, target shooting, hiking etc.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
For me there was literally nowhere to learn or go on one even if I could. The house I grew up in was on a big ass hill between a major road and a river. Not like the city or suburbs. It did suck when I went to friends on the weekends and they were all used to riding bikes everywhere. There was just enough of a flat area beside the house to set up a skateboard ramp so I could at least skate.

There was lots of other stuff to do outside though like swimming, fishing, canoe trips, target shooting, hiking etc.
I grew up in the burbs, more than enough space to learn.
My folks bought me a bike, then an NES a week later.
I basically said fukk dat bike, Peach needs me!
I did do a lot of other outdoor stuff tho, hell I'm an Eagle Scout so camping, shooting, swimming, and all that jazz.
I even found time to learn how to ice skate.
But riding a bike, nah.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Never watched Avatar, any Disney animated movie from Little Mermaid until the present day, or Gone With the Wind. Haven't watched about half of the Marvel movies, and I wish I'd stopped sooner.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Can't drive - never sat behind the wheel of a running car, no desire to learn. Would be a rusting waste of money sitting outside now where I'd have to pay a parking permit, and probably only use it on weekends.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Never once done my own laundry, don't even know how to turn the machine on
Same. Mum did all that when I lived at home, got married and now the wife does it. Same for making a bed.

Never been to the snow.