Thinking about buying a gpu. I need your opinion.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Seems like prices are starting to level out again. I've been waiting since Dec 2020. Refused to buy from scalpers. The Radeon 6900xt is pricey but seems to be selling at msrp now. I would prefer a 3080ti or 6800xt but those are still selling over msrp and I rather spend what a card's actual msrp is. I know Nvidia is set to release the 4000 series in September which will probably be impossible to get. Also Intel is throwing their hat in the ring.

Should I wait for prices to decrease or should I just get a current gen high end gpu. I only upgrade gpu's every 5-6 years. The 980 Ti was the last high end Gpu I purchased back in 2015. The 1660 TI was for a budget backup build which I'm currently using.

I don't plan on buying PS5 or Xbox Series X. I plan on doing any current gen gaming on PC.

Should I do it or wait?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Seems like prices are starting to level out again. I've been waiting since Dec 2020. Refused to buy from scalpers. The Radeon 6900xt is pricey but seems to be selling at msrp now. I would prefer a 3080ti or 6800xt but those are still selling over msrp and I rather spend what a card's actual msrp is. I know Nvidia is set to release the 4000 series in September which will probably be impossible to get. Also Intel is throwing their hat in the ring.

Should I wait for prices to decrease or should I just get a current gen high end gpu. I only upgrade gpu's every 5-6 years. The 980 Ti was the last high end Gpu I purchased back in 2015. The 1660 TI was for a budget backup build which I'm currently using.

I don't plan on buying PS5 or Xbox Series X. I plan on doing any current gen gaming on PC.

Should I do it or wait?
Which CPU do you have?
There's no guarantee the 30 series will come down in price a lot, when the 40 series comes out.
AFAIK, you can't buy cards at retail price these days.
If you going for a budget card, you might get the Radeon RX 6600 or 6600XT, or the Geforce RTX 3050. But these won't be powerful enough to run the latest games (with ray tracing) in 4K. They're more for playing games in 1080p.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm not doing 4k and don't plan on upgrading my monitor anytime soon. I do 1440p at 144hz. I want to do 1440p maxed out everything at the max fps.

My cpu is a Ryzen 7 3800x. I built my pc in 2020 and plan on eventually upgrading my cpu. Getting a gpu has been the biggest challenge.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Newegg has Asrock 6900xt Forumla OC instock for $1150. Considering it's the XTXH binned variant with a 10% boost OC, It's a fair price over base MSRP. It rivals base 3090 mostly in non Ray Tracing games. If you absolutely need ray tracing/DLSS, just pick up a base 3080 on newegg for $950.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
what about a 3070 Ti? they're somewhat affordable and available right now. I bought a 3080 a few weeks ago and still paid over a 1000€ for it. The 3080 Ti is a waste of money from what I've heard.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
A 2080ti might be a goer if you can get it at a decent price. Rocks 1440p + rtx with ease.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I'd wait, when the 4000 series drops the scalpers and bots will be after those instead. That's your window to get a 3080.

I agree with this, given the current GPU market. The twats with hoards of current gen cards on ebay will cut their ‘loses’ and move onto the next thing.

I’ve got a PS5 and Xbox Series X which I got at RRP to tide me over a while longer, but my 1650 ti is looking long in the tooth with it’s lack of Ray tracing (and my old i7 needs replaced, so I’m looking at a full rebuild). But fuck the prices 3060s and above are going for because of scalper cunts.

I’m guessing there will come a point that supply from GPU manufacturers will be too abundant to make the scalper industry last forever, but like the OP I’ve been waiting since 2020 for that to happen without much luck.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
what about a 3070 Ti? they're somewhat affordable and available right now. I bought a 3080 a few weeks ago and still paid over a 1000€ for it. The 3080 Ti is a waste of money from what I've heard.
I just returned a Gigabyte 3070 Ti from Amazon. I paid $680 for it which was the best deal I could find but paying over MSRP left a bad taste in my mouth. The card did perform well but I felt at that price or slightly more, I could get something better. Thanks for the heads up, I'll stay away from the TI.

Ray tracing/DLSS is not that important to me. As long as the video looks good and runs nice and smooth, I'm good. I've been a Nvidia guy for the longest but it seems like the Amd cards are a better bang for your buck. Granted they don't have the same features Nvidia cards have.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I don't get why anyone would want to sit at a desk in front of a monitor for more cash than sitting on a sofa with a massive TV
Shrug

You tried playing Civ with a controller?

But mainly it’s for mods or slightly slightly slightly better graphics.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
If you lived near a best buy you can ask when they get the GPUs in and show up early and scoop one for MSRP. Also EVGA has been selling cards for MSRP on the their site. I have a 3070 and for 3440x1440 it's pretty damn good.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
🤔 that's less than most console resolutions but costs more
PC gamers are mental

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The value proposition PS5 / Xbox Series X offer compared to gaming PCs right now is hard to deny. But, at best they offer a mid-range CPU / GPU levels of performance from 2020. A medium to top end PC from 2022 would totally Jimmy Saville them.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Make sure you get a unit with plenty of VRAM, that'll help future proof it a bit. There are brand new monsters like the 3070 and above with only 8gb, and that's ridiculous in my opinion. I'd try to grab a unit with 12 or more.

This is a great pc building site that keeps an ongoing algorithm that tracks prices and stock. Look under the video cards tab:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The value proposition PS5 / Xbox Series X offer compared to gaming PCs right now is hard to deny. But, at best they offer a mid-range CPU / GPU levels of performance from 2020. A medium to top end PC from 2022 would totally Jimmy Saville them.
For 6 times the RRP
Pc gaming is dead af

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I still do. Pc gaming is the domain of nerds nowadays, sat at a desk lol