Thinking about buying a new Supergun...

J. Max

judas,
I'm thinking of buying a new Supergun in the near future...but I'm not sure what to buy. I figure that it will cost me around $200-400 (without a board), but I'm not sure what to get. These features would be nice:

-Component/S-Video
-Some sort of standard stick interface (Neo or PSOne preferably.) This way, if the game called for a funky controller, I could still use it. I could also have custom contollers for MVS, Atomiswave, etc.
-Color/sync adjustments
-Ability to use 6-button controllers
-Small(ish)

I don't want another MAS Super Nova because I had one before and I wasn't happy with it. The new GWT ones look nice, but I've heard bad things about them in the past. There is a dealer on here that has Sigmas for sale, but I'm not sure that you can change out controllers. (I know that you can do so on MVS, but not on others.) Sigmas are also expensive. I can't build one myself, as I am terrible with a soldering iron. I also know that there are some "homebrew" ones out there. Any one have any advice?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
J. Max said:
I can't build one myself, as I am terrible with a soldering iron. I also know that there are some "homebrew" ones out there. Any one have any advice?

Well, you'll probably have to ask someone to build one for you (and ask very nice) and probably pay a lot of money.

Ever though about getting cab?

Honestly, what I suggest is learning how to solder. It's not that difficult for what you need to do. It's not like you're dealing with super delicate electronics.

J. Max

judas,
I used to own two JAMMA cabs, but they were a massive pain to deal with for me, especially because I have no way of getting them into my game room.

No, what I want is a nice, small Supergun.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
J. Max said:
I'm thinking of buying a new Supergun in the near future...but I'm not sure what to buy. I figure that it will cost me around $200-400 (without a board), but I'm not sure what to get. These features would be nice:

-Component/S-Video
-Some sort of standard stick interface (Neo or PSOne preferably.) This way, if the game called for a funky controller, I could still use it. I could also have custom contollers for MVS, Atomiswave, etc.
-Color/sync adjustments
-Ability to use 6-button controllers
-Small(ish)

I don't want another MAS Super Nova because I had one before and I wasn't happy with it. The new GWT ones look nice, but I've heard bad things about them in the past. There is a dealer on here that has Sigmas for sale, but I'm not sure that you can change out controllers. (I know that you can do so on MVS, but not on others.) Sigmas are also expensive. I can't build one myself, as I am terrible with a soldering iron. I also know that there are some "homebrew" ones out there. Any one have any advice?

Avoid GWT like the plague.
The Sigma line is amazing, but so fucking hard to find the unit and accessories.
D-Lite has shown some nice designs, and can make it with component vid and compatible with the Neo sticks. That's the route I plan to take when I grab a Supergun later on.

dojosky

Zero's Secretary
ROB (disconnected) here at NG.com has a nice sigma super gun that outputs rgb s video etc and it uses neo geo joysticks contact him hes a trustworthy and honest seller i have dealt with him on several occassions. I will ask him to check this thread out thanks !

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
D-Lite's your man if you want a supergun these days.

Jeff

J. Max

judas,
Loopz said:
Avoid GWT like the plague.
The Sigma line is amazing, but so fucking hard to find the unit and accessories.
D-Lite has shown some nice designs, and can make it with component vid and compatible with the Neo sticks. That's the route I plan to take when I grab a Supergun later on.

I figured that about GWT....

Akibagames has Sigma Superguns (and the totally kick-ass Sega one too, but it's out of my price range, plus I already have an Astro City DC/PSOne controller)

I think I have someone that's going to build one for me who I know is a good seller. (I'll let him speak up here if he'd like).

One thing I'm wondering about - I wonder if you can use the controller convertors from Tototek to hook up PSOne controllers onto a Neo Geo interface on these bad boys. That would be perfect for me, and I wouldn't have to jack around with getting custom controllers for different boards. (One big thing I don't like about the MAS is that you have to use their controllers on it. Their controllers are very nice, but if I'm playing MVS games for example, it just doesn't feel right to have a 6-button controller, and I didn't want to pay ANOTHER $300 to get him to make me some Neo Geo 4-button controllers, especially since I have 3 or 4 laying around my house.)

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Lagduf said:
Honestly, what I suggest is learning how to solder. It's not that difficult for what you need to do. It's not like you're dealing with super delicate electronics.
I second that. It takes some effort but it's a great learning experience and you know you're getting exactly what you want when you're done.
J. Max said:
One thing I'm wondering about - I wonder if you can use the controller convertors from Tototek to hook up PSOne controllers onto a Neo Geo interface on these bad boys.
Yes, but you only get the four face buttons + start & select. So, for instance, your Atomiswave stuff might be using the select button on the ps2 controller as the 5th button, which would be awkward.

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
I too want a supergun, but dont know if i should wait and see if they have any in japan. Do they sell those in normal stores over there?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
It's worth noting that none of the Japanese retail superguns have a component output (unless I'm missing something).

Amakusashiro666

, , Simon Says:, "Ban Me!"
I will build them for people,but they have to cover the cost of parts,plus 40 bucks of my time and effort.I dont sell or trade here,but I am a seller on ebay,have wonderful feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8249921808&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

This is a link to one of my auctions.I perfer to build the superguns in either game system shells or arcade sticks,wood based mostly,like the Capcom SF one,or the Pelican and X-Arcade ones,so that mine dont end up looking like others if possible.Youd have to either have the parts sent to me that you want me to use one at a time,or sent to you,then sent to me in a bulk shipment.

ray_7

buy D-Lite's componentgun, it has all the features you listed. i just bought one from him and waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

ray_7

J. Max said:
Can D-Lite's use 6 button controllers?

you might want to ask him directly, mine is able to use 5 button for AW, maybe its just a matter of wiring it to get it to be able to use 6...

Amakusashiro666

I think D-Lite can wire up a 6 button harness to work,but the thing is he sets his superguns up for neogeo mostly,so your kinda stuck using a neo stick unless you get a custom stick of somekind that you can change up.For what D-lite charges,your better off with Mass system if you want to play Capcom right out of the box.D-Lites look nice,but come with no arcade sticks,and cost around the same.
In the end,depends on what your looking for exactly.Everyone brings something different to the table.

J. Max

judas,
I used to have an MAS, but I wasn't happy with it for the following reasons:

1. Video output was pretty bad. I don't know if it was my TV or what, but there was a subtle (yet irritating) waviness to the picture. Since you can't adjust the output on an MAS (without busting it open), this was a major reason why I got rid of it.

2. Proprietary joysticks. I hated the fact that I couldn't put different joysticks on there without having to pay a ridculous amount to MAS to get them made. I didn't like having a 6-button controller for Neo games, but to get two more from MAS would have cost as much as buying a new Super NOVA.

3. Size. The thing was just too damn big. Superguns are not like my penis; they should be small.

Amakusashiro666

Was the waviness when you used composite video?Some game pcbs put out poor signal on encoders composite wise,and Im not sure as to why,because the s-video will be fine.My MV-1C is like this,s-video fine,composite looks like it has a wavy line res problem with the signal.My older 1-slot does not have this problem.The other thing is a ghosting white scroll bar going up or down the screen?If you get that you can usually knock it out by connecting to a power strip on another wall outlet not being used by your monitor.When I had a Mas it had that problem,back in like 1999.
Like I said,D-lite can probably do something special for you if your wanting to use game pads or something,as well as 6 button Capcom support, for the right amount of cash.His superguns seem to go by the prostitute method,more buck for more bang,and for special extras,its gonna cost you extra special.But if you have seen his work,you can be assured if he says he will do it,he will get it done for you.The smallest supergun I have ever done myself was in the shell of a Pc-Engine,and I will never do that again.
Anyway,if you have like $400.00 to blow,contact d-lite.Im sure he will make all your supergun fantasies come true,and last longer then one night. :glee:

J. Max

judas,
The waviness was both when I used composite and s-video. It was very noticable on all of the boards that I had, including my MVS (1FZ), Sega ST-V, CPS2, etc. I ended up buying a new TV, which partially solved the problem, but I don't want to deal with that again.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I still don't see the point of a Supergun. Just go all out and buy yourself a cab, for the real experience. :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

J. Max

judas,
Stellarola said:
I still don't see the point of a Supergun. Just go all out and buy yourself a cab, for the real experience. :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

The point of a Supergun is that I don't have room in my house for a cab. I used to have two of them, plus my giant MAME setup, but the cabs were so big that there was no way to get them down the stairs into my basement where the game room is located. If you would read the rest of the subject, you would see that I've already addressed this question.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Amakusashiro666 said:
Was the waviness when you used composite video?Some game pcbs put out poor signal on encoders composite wise,and Im not sure as to why,because the s-video will be fine.My MV-1C is like this,s-video fine,composite looks like it has a wavy line res problem with the signal.My older 1-slot does not have this problem.The other thing is a ghosting white scroll bar going up or down the screen?If you get that you can usually knock it out by connecting to a power strip on another wall outlet not being used by your monitor.When I had a Mas it had that problem,back in like 1999.
Like I said,D-lite can probably do something special for you if your wanting to use game pads or something,as well as 6 button Capcom support, for the right amount of cash.His superguns seem to go by the prostitute method,more buck for more bang,and for special extras,its gonna cost you extra special.But if you have seen his work,you can be assured if he says he will do it,he will get it done for you.The smallest supergun I have ever done myself was in the shell of a Pc-Engine,and I will never do that again.
Anyway,if you have like $400.00 to blow,contact d-lite.Im sure he will make all your supergun fantasies come true,and last longer then one night. :glee:
My most expensive supergun is at $350 shipped (priority, insured, tracked) and comes loaded with:

- component, S-Video, composite
- all RGB pots
- full JAMMA and CPS2/3 support (kick harness)
- 6-button function (no matter what sticks you buy, you will have to have something made to work with ANY supergun)
- wired for any Neo compatible stick
- stereo/mono switches
- now includes attenuation on/off, mono audio on/off

If you were to build the same supergun yourself it'd cost at least $300 in parts alone, not to mention equipment.

The MAS Systems Supernova with 2 sticks sells for $300 plus HEAVY shipping. The output is S-Video and composite only through a proprietary cable. And it's huge.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
TerryMathews here on the board is currently working on consolisizing a MV-1C for me. I know its not a supergun, but damn this thing is going to be schweet! and cheap too! Maybe its just me, but I mean CHEAP, and he's providing most of the parts!

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Moose said:
TerryMathews here on the board is currently working on consolisizing a MV-1C for me. I know its not a supergun, but damn this thing is going to be schweet! and cheap too! Maybe its just me, but I mean CHEAP, and he's providing most of the parts!
Now you've got to tell us how much! Is it in a new case, like a Genny or Saturn?

machfive

n00b
Stellarola said:

Lol, I'd have to go out and buy a HOUSE to go with that cab :p I couldn't fit one into my apartment if I took out a wall!