Thinking About Ditching AES...

Tsubaki

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I had an AES in the nineties. I sold it and all my games. Needed the dough. Big mistake. Sell your blood instead. I recently built a MVS supergun-console thing. I just ordered Ninja Masters. No way I could've done that with the old AES.

Bottom line is a Neo Geo is a NeoGeo.
Think of it as a Ferrari.
A formula 1 styled Ferrari doesn't have nice leather and a sound system and stuff, but it's still a Ferrari.

The only thing better than having a Ferrari is having two Ferraris.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
home cart and mvs sucks.
be like me and collect the koll trading cards they released for NEOGEO games.
you'll never regret it.
it may even save you money in the long run.
:0

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I had an AES back in the early-mid 90's, and I loved it. Nothing wrong with AES.

But now I've gone MVS, and I have to say playing these games on a cab feels as big a difference to playing AES as playing AES does to playing a port (IMO). If you're planning to use MVS with a supergun, it's not quite as big a difference, since it goes through your tv and you'll probably be using old-style sticks (hopefully) just as you were with your AES.

It's hard to explain, but every single time I power up the cab, I want to yell, "MOTHERF*CK,YEAH!!" out the window. If that makes me a psycho, so be it.

bendor

Fio's Quartermaster
BoriquaSNK said:
MVS...its the way Neo Geo was meant to be enjoyed. Be a man, get a cab.
:buttrock:

the AES was made so that there wouldn't need to be any infferior ports of the "original" arcade games. But the arcade form is still the true Neo Geo IMO.

I bought a big red cab insetead of an AES, and i think i get more respect/crazy looks from other gamers/friends than i would if i had the home system.

go MVS, I've never had AES and probably never will. nothing but the real deal for me :drool:

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
AES is KING

I've thought about just buying MVS, cuz I have a cab...but for some reason...I dunno...its just not the same.

I gotta have the home version.

I think of the MVS version as a stripped down version. Like, diet coke for instance...it just doesn't do it for me.

Dunno why.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I could never part with my second cawk like that.

Cheers for the replies guys.

My fundamental issues is that I love The metal slug games so much, now i've got X, 3, 4 and 5 on AES i realise i could sell the lot, re buy them on MVS all for the price of X alone!

there is also the added reason that I paid £40 for MS1 on mvs recently (yes i know i was ripped) and i play it more than the others, reason? it's not a better game but THE HIGH SCORE SAVES!!!!! and i play to better myself so.......

I think it's going to have to go The consolised 2 slot is staying but i'm gonna go get a good supergun (recomendations people? UK BASED) and a new 1 slot just in case (no room for a CAB yet and all that exposed PCB scares me!!!).

i guess in the war between Artwork - -> Saved high score the art looses (i'm a US AES guy so my)

right, off to take some photos!........

TacoFace

Rugal's Thug
I first got an AES and 15 games and then because of the price of the games I wanted , I said screw this and got a cab . Then I missed the AES again and the comfort of sitting on the couch and taking Neo Games to friends houses , I got a modded AES and some games . But then the damn price thing again and I sold it all and haven't looked back since . The controls on an arcade cab and being able to pick up games for incredibly cheap prices I'd go for it . ;)

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
You just gotta ask yourself what the most important things about gaming are.

1) Like portability? Short on space? Like very collectible carts, and don't mind paying very collectible prices?

Go AES

2) Like the real deal Arcade cab type experience? Don't mind the plain jane carts (you can dress 'em up pretty nice with Shockboxes, though)? Like to get your carts for cheap?

Go MVS.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I started out with my AES and loved every minute of it (SS2 goddamn!!!). Money just wasnt somethin that kept flowin in the household though and unfortunately my AES library stopped at about Kof94, SS2 and Top Hunter.......

Later in the years I picked up a few more carts here and there.........its just a tough system to build a library for if you dont have the green.

I am about 6 days into being a new MVS owner (neo25 candy cab) and about 11 games now. Im actually more motivated to play the games on the cabinet than i was on my AES (takin it out of the bag, hookin it up, slidin the cart in, etc). The cab has 4 slots so i drop my top picks of the lot and get at it!

If your a gamer with limited funds.........go MVS.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
galfordo said:
You just gotta ask yourself what the most important things about gaming are.

1) Like portability? Short on space? Like very collectible carts, and don't mind paying very collectible prices?

Go AES

2) Like the real deal Arcade cab type experience? Don't mind the plain jane carts (you can dress 'em up pretty nice with Shockboxes, though)? Like to get your carts for cheap?

Go MVS.

That seems to be most people's take but I don't really agree. The MVS can be portable and collectable and cheap. Get a consolized or a supergun and you don't have to worry about carrying it around or space issues.

Lots of people talk about the art as if it was homecarts only, but if you get kits or full art sets you get a lot of it as well. Of course some kits will still cost you the price of a homecart. But on the most part they're still cheaper. MS kit = $100.00 MS NGH = Too much Plenty of other examples as well that's just the best one.

Decision Made

Right, well i first and foremost i play the games and still have a consolised 2 slot from before the AES so I'm going MVS (i love the collectability but hate getting nervous by opening the cases up "OMFG!!!! i opened it up to much and knocked $40 of the value!!!!!), when i have the space i'll grab a CAB. the following games will be up for sale very shortly... watch this space...

<begin plug>
(all US, ALL MINT / Near Mint).

MEtal Slug X
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
The Last Blade 2
KOF 2001
Art Of Fighting 2
Rage Of The Dragons
Sengoku 3
matramlee
Samurai Showdown 2 (Euro, MINT TRAY)

</begin plug>

Toby

Zero's Secretary
I have a housed 1 slot board and uberia supergun set up for sale if your interested.

Toby said:
I have a housed 1 slot board and uberia supergun set up for sale if your interested.

Thanks but I already have a 2 Slot Consolised (i think the guy who did it is a member of the boards), might get a supergun depending on the outcome of the sale of the stuff. What do you think of the Uberia guns? any good? problems?

Toby

Zero's Secretary
the one ive got is the cheaper mk1 and it did everything i wanted it too no problems

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Do not sell your soul.
Ditch the home system, bury it in the garden along with carts amoungst the roses, then get some MVS, you will not regret it.
If you do, you could always dig it up again, like a dog does with a bone.

ttooddddyy said:
Do not sell your soul.
Ditch the home system, bury it in the garden along with carts amoungst the roses, then get some MVS, you will not regret it.
If you do, you could always dig it up again, like a dog does with a bone.

yeah but the inserts...... think of the inserts...... :shame:

:-)

Insaneclown said:
Sell me some of your Neo Geo Homecart games please? :D

ill give you heads up once photos are taken etc (although it might be a week or so cause i've been lumbered with jury service!!! (bugger))

buster_broon

The Rock,
i started off with MVS but in the end i got sick and tired of teh bootlegs and teh shitty condition MVS kits

sold all my kits and cab for a slug 4 and garou on AES

great deal imo - will never buy into MVS again, would rather wait and save for teh game i want

**edit**

but i had a electrocoin standup 6 slot and the speakers are right beside your ears so it sounds excellent and to be honest my home system has never replicated the sound you get from a cab

Last edited:

Chuplayer

Crippled Idiot,
galfordo said:
I could never part with my second cawk like that.

I literally felt shit come halfway out of my ass after I laughed at reading that.

I've only got TEH ROMZ and the Pocket Color, but if I ever do get into the big time, I'm going MVS.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Voltamp said:
ill give you heads up once photos are taken etc (although it might be a week or so cause i've been lumbered with jury service!!! (bugger))

Kewl...thats great then. That gives me time to save the money up...hehe. :D Plus Ill buy if the price is right...thats not a guarrentee a buy though. Iam just interested for know. I might be interested in 2 games. ;)

animegal

Armored Scrum Object
Voltamp said:
Right, well i first and foremost i play the games and still have a consolised 2 slot from before the AES so I'm going MVS (i love the collectability but hate getting nervous by opening the cases up "OMFG!!!! i opened it up to much and knocked $40 of the value!!!!!), when i have the space i'll grab a CAB. the following games will be up for sale very shortly... watch this space...

<begin plug>
(all US, ALL MINT / Near Mint).

MEtal Slug X
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
The Last Blade 2
KOF 2001
Art Of Fighting 2
Rage Of The Dragons
Sengoku 3
matramlee