This new Sega thing on April 17th (Terraonion Direct 2020)

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I sort of have mixed feelings about this.

Its a cool product no denying that and if its produced and sold in quantity it will help out those who currently struggle to get a ODE for DC or Saturn.
I already have both ODE's so no requirement for me to purchase one but I cant help thinking it would of been more useful to make a cheaper product that would of fitted one or the other.
Lets be honest here, you are not going to be swapping it out between consoles, once its in and setup it will stay there.

From my POV I would rather see a ODE for the Sega CD which as far as I know is not a thing yet, But pretty much every other CD based system has atleast one solution now.

I think its going to have a serious knock on effect on Deunan (the GDEMU guy), Don't get me wrong ive never had any probs with him personally I always managed to get one when I wanted one and he has given me good support for both my GDEMU and Rhea.
But he does not have a good rep amongst the masses and people are pissed off at his business model.
That's his choice but I suspect he is about to loose a lot of income.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
We are still waiting on NeoSD carts to be produced. Covid has everything backed up.

Soon as we have that sorted out, you will have a replacement cart.

As far as deleted comments go, we had nothing to do with that.

Thanks for the update Todd.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Before I forget, do you still need that Sony tv controller?
Nah I rounded up a universal I had lying around and figured it out. Thanks man!

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
This is great, I ordered one for each console. I was never able to get an ODE for either. This makes me seriously consider selling a good chunk of my games, this stuff really does make owning hundreds of games obsolete.

What storage method are you all planning on using?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This is great, I ordered one for each console. I was never able to get an ODE for either. This makes me seriously consider selling a good chunk of my games, this stuff really does make owning hundreds of games obsolete.

What storage method are you all planning on using?

Go with laptop sata hard drive. That would be the best bang for your buck. I think a SSD would be overkill.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
From my POV I would rather see a ODE for the Sega CD which as far as I know is not a thing yet,

But why? We already have the Mega SG. What's the point in having to acquire a Sega CD when I can get that cart and emulate the hardware?

Personally I'd rather see a real ps2 ode (for the slim or fat) instead of the dreadful HDD hack method.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
But why? We already have the Mega SG. What's the point in having to acquire a Sega CD when I can get that cart and emulate the hardware?

Personally I'd rather see a real ps2 ode (for the slim or fat) instead of the dreadful HDD hack method.

What do you mean HDD hack method? Games run great off the HD.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

Gotta run the real hardware man, theres no other way to play! Take all up all that room and look mega cool.

Yea, I'm ok with the MegaSD, plays everything and takes less room and one less AC adapter.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Gotta run the real hardware man, theres no other way to play! Take all up all that room and look mega cool.

Yea, I'm ok with the MegaSD, plays everything and takes less room and one less AC adapter.

Word

Yea, the Sega CD one makes zero sense now. Let me show off my sega cd addon that does absolutely nothing.

willacb

n00b
I feel like the smart thing to do would be to sell my GDEMU and Phoebe while they are still worth a good chunk of money as this looks like it is superior by most measures. Only thing is I don't know if the hassle of switching a MODE out between two consoles would be a major annoyance, even if it would realistically take like 30 seconds if I left the shells unscrewed.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I think its going to have a serious knock on effect on Deunan (the GDEMU guy), Don't get me wrong ive never had any probs with him personally I always managed to get one when I wanted one and he has given me good support for both my GDEMU and Rhea.
But he does not have a good rep amongst the masses and people are pissed off at his business model.
That's his choice but I suspect he is about to loose a lot of income.

Did I mention he can eat a dick? Yeah, I'm gonna get the fireworks and bbq ready.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
What do you mean HDD hack method? Games run great off the HD.

HDD = Hard Disk Drive (I'm sure you know this, right?)

You can use an HDD to SD adapter now, but the whole process is cumbersome. I wish a proper ODE option was available, especially for my slim.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior

Because I have a original Sega CD and I would like to keep it running without spending £200+ on another flash cart.
Don't get me wrong the MegaSD is cool and if I didn't have a Sega CD unit I would of absolutely brought one.

But I have a CD unit and a Everdrive X5.

Agree about the PS2 thing, The HDD method works ok but it occasionally freezes up or has other weird issues.

Did I mention he can eat a dick? Yeah, I'm gonna get the fireworks and bbq ready.

His business model aside he still made a workable ODE solution for the DC, Saturn and Doc Brown on his own Gotta respect that.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
This is cool news. I already have a USB-GDROM for Dreamcast, but I might get one for Saturn. I kind of wish they had partnered with Prof Abrasive for the Saturn ODE. With his design, you don't have to remove the CD Drive, which would be nice.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
HDD = Hard Disk Drive (I'm sure you know this, right?)

You can use an HDD to SD adapter now, but the whole process is cumbersome. I wish a proper ODE option was available, especially for my slim.

I guess if your talking about just the slim maybe a ode option would be nice but kind of pointless for the phat.

I have a Phat with a 1tb Laptop Sata Hard Drive running off of OPL and HDL and everything works fine.

It's two components, Sata Adapter and Hard Drive. The Drive goes into the PS2 Drive bay attached to a sata adapter and that's it. Out of sight out of mind.

I know about the HDD to SD adapter but never had a need for it since the Hard Drives work fine.

Edit:

Just saw Titch's post.

Yes a small amount of games are not compatible and some you have to change settings to run correctly. One game that comes to mind is ManHunt but sometimes switching from HD Loader to Open Ps2 Loader fixes the issue. Street Fighter Anthology is a game that won't run on HD Loader but will run on OPL.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Because I have a original Sega CD and I would like to keep it running without spending £200+ on another flash cart.
Don't get me wrong the MegaSD is cool and if I didn't have a Sega CD unit I would of absolutely brought one.

But I have a CD unit and a Everdrive X5.

Agree about the PS2 thing, The HDD method works ok but it occasionally freezes up or has other weird issues.

His business model aside he still made a workable ODE solution for the DC, Saturn and Doc Brown on his own Gotta respect that.

How are you keeping the Sega Cd running if you are technically replacing the optical drive with a ODE. Unless you just want the CD access light to blink like it's running a real cd.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
How are you keeping the Sega Cd running if you are technically replacing the optical drive with a ODE. Unless you just want the CD access light to blink like it's running a real cd.

Think you have answered your own question there, Its working the same as running a real CD just without the mechanical aspect.
I have a spare laser assembly for it but if any other part of it ever fails ime screwed.

aam

War Room Troll
Time to get out the popcorn, can’t wait to see what these clowns fucked up this time! Those of you so fond of emulating their sega cd, might as well emulate the attached megadrive

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Someone please let me know if I missed this somewhere- but will the 4MB cart still be necessary for certain Saturn games or will it no longer be needed? Also curious how the saving works, it will save directly to the hardrive or vmu on the Dreamcast

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Games that require a 1 or 4MB ram expansion will still require that.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Ah the question is, this device goes on top of the console mainboard... is the cart slot connector still exposed or does the MODE provide a passthrough connector for those devices? (On Saturn)