This week in Islam: 8 yr old bride dies on wedding night, if from sex

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Yes, because the extremist Muslims represent ALL the Muslims.

You never see prominent Muslim leaders standing up and speaking out against their brethren whenever the next atrocity happens. They wouldn't be tolerant of your lifestyle, so why do you feel the need to preach tolerance towards them?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
You never see prominent Muslim leaders standing up and speaking out against their brethren whenever the next atrocity happens. They wouldn't be tolerant of your lifestyle, so why do you feel the need to preach tolerance towards them?

Does the pope condemn westboro?

Zenimus

As far as I know, the Westboro wackos aren't Catholics. And yes, just about every Christian does condemn them.

Would you say that the percentage of Westboro nutcases in Christianity reaches the level of violent intolerant Muslims? I don't think so. Not even remotely close.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
As far as I know, the Westboro wackos aren't Catholics. And yes, just about every Christian does condemn them.

Would you say that the percentage of Westboro nutcases in Christianity reaches the level of violent intolerant Muslims? I don't think so. Not even remotely close.

Throughout history the number of extremist Christians who pursued policies of aggression, hatred, and other fuck-upperies has certainly eclipsed the number of current day extremist muslims.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member

Zenimus

Throughout history the number of extremist Christians who pursued policies of aggression, hatred, and other fuck-upperies has certainly eclipsed the number of current day extremist muslims.

Perhaps. But were those committing these atrocities doing so for the sake of Christianity, or for some other goal? And does this problem continue to exist? The answer is no. The important question is "Why not?"

I'm not terribly religious myself, but I find it odd how whenever the subject of Muslim violence comes up, there's always people who feel the need to point out "WELL CHRISTIANS ARE BAD TOO!" as if that proves diddly squat.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Seems a lot of news sources have picked up on this story and are running with it. But Good on you for protecting the Yemeni government from scrutiny.

Do I sense passive aggressiveness.

A lot of news media pick up The Onion articles frequently and run with it too, so what's your point.

Don't hate just 'cos I point out there is dispute about the veracity of the reporting. Note that I also in no way make light of the problem of exploiting women and underaged girls. If the story is true, everyone fighting for children's rights wins 'cos it highlights a serious problem. If the story is false, then it becomes ammunition for people who want to stick their heads in the sand.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Perhaps. But were those committing these atrocities doing so for the sake of Christianity, or for some other goal? And does this problem continue to exist? The answer is no. The important question is "Why not?"

I'm not terribly religious myself, but I find it odd how whenever the subject of Muslim violence comes up, there's always people who feel the need to point out "WELL CHRISTIANS ARE BAD TOO!" as if that proves diddly squat.
it proves that picking one religion as some exclusively horrible group is idiotic.
Extremist Christian violence does exist still.

You also have to consider who put the extremists into power, and allowed for that climate to fester and boil over.....
hmmmm I wonder?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Orthodox jews in NY don't condone the sexual abuse of children.

They just condemn individuals who report it to legal authorities.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Perhaps. But were those committing these atrocities doing so for the sake of Christianity, or for some other goal?
With divine right the goals of the religion and the goals of the state were one in the same.

That's no different than Al-Qaedas interpretation of the Koran and Sharia Law.

And does this problem continue to exist? The answer is no. The important question is "Why not?"
The answer to "Why Not?" isn't "Because Islam is a savage fucking religion." If anything, perhaps ALL religions are. Why does such mass ignorance hold sway over the populace? Well...just take a look at that part of the world. Destroy divine right, strip the mosque from the state, build up real economies not dependant on a single export, and yeah this shit will probably go away. Much like it went away in the West, but it took a DAMN long time and we still have to deal with Christian bullshit in our own government.

The reverse is true.

Religion is a tool used by people to do, sometimes, terrible things.

And yes, a lot of religions have supported some pretty terrible shit that is even in their holy books.

Last edited:

Zenimus

The answer to "Why Not?" isn't "Because Islam is a savage fucking religion."

I'm not so sure about that. Even the people who aren't considered extremists still have their wives walk around in those detestable full face burqas and treat them like property. There's still the "honor killings" and all that other nonsense as well, though less common I'm sure.

Religion has always been a tool for terrible things, but to say that in this day and age that Islam is no more dangerous than any other is simply denying reality. The solutions you present require fundamental cultural shifts that would be nearly impossible to attain.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I'm not so sure about that. Even the people who aren't considered extremists still have their wives walk around in those detestable full face burqas and treat them like property. There's still the "honor killings" and all that other nonsense as well, though less common I'm sure.

Religion has always been a tool for terrible things, but to say that in this day and age that Islam is no more dangerous than any other is simply denying reality. The solutions you present require fundamental cultural shifts that would be nearly impossible to attain.
on a scale from none to jack squat how much do you know about Islam?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Do I sense passive aggressiveness.

A lot of news media pick up The Onion articles frequently and run with it too, so what's your point.

Don't hate just 'cos I point out there is dispute about the veracity of the reporting. Note that I also in no way make light of the problem of exploiting women and underaged girls. If the story is true, everyone fighting for children's rights wins 'cos it highlights a serious problem. If the story is false, then it becomes ammunition for people who want to stick their heads in the sand.

Your statement that "it was reported as fake" was merely the Yemen gov't and the father of the bride denying the report. Not even close to conclusive, yet cnn, bloomberg, everyone reported that the girl died. There's a point where you kind of have to just accept that

pedophilia is okay in Islam. It has been so since Mohammad did it. And it won't be condemned until people admit what it is, and admit it's a problem.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Your statement that "it was reported as fake" was merely the Yemen gov't and the father of the bride denying the report. Not even close to conclusive, yet cnn, bloomberg, everyone reported that the girl died. There's a point where you kind of have to just accept that

pedophilia is okay in Islam. It has been so since Mohammad did it. And it won't be condemned until people admit what it is, and admit it's a problem.

For traditionalists or those who have not evolved a contemporary definition. Archaic ideas like these exist among all the major Christian based religions, and for those who follow the original text yea it is an issue.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
For traditionalists or those who have not evolved a contemporary definition. Archaic ideas like these exist among all the major Christian based religions, and for those who follow the original text yea it is an issue.

2500 years ago, when people were living to age 30, but thought they were 500 years old, marrying children probably seemed ok. But back then, hardly anywhere had a strong rule of law. And today, it's the same problem that countries with pathetically weak rule of law are more exposed to backwards behaviors. As countries develop, and their social systems become refined past the point of barbarianism, child marriage gos out the window.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
2500 years ago, when people were living to age 30, but thought they were 500 years old, marrying children probably seemed ok. But back then, hardly anywhere had a strong rule of law. And today, it's the same problem that countries with pathetically weak rule of law are more exposed to backwards behaviors. As countries develop, and their social systems become refined past the point of barbarianism, child marriage gos out the window.

Problem is the western nations did a great job in the 60s and 70s putting those nations back a hundred years.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member

well not that long ago really. check 1920 and before. 10 or 12 was the age of consent in alot of places for about 400 years up to around then. not too long ago it could have happened here.
well it still could but the at least the Guy will be in for trouble now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Even in ancient times, people knew that only fertile females should be wed, and they check for periods to ascertain fertility.

arbormatt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
All this religious nonsense(or debate thereof) for an absurdly short time on the planet.... it is a tiring endeavor. Let us all have our crusades and jihads and debate their merits once we are dust. And yes, the marriage of children is a pretty fucked up thing. At this point in life I couldn't even imagine carrying on with a vapid 20 year old.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm not so sure about that. Even the people who aren't considered extremists still have their wives walk around in those detestable full face burqas and treat them like property. .

A christian invention.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
All this religious nonsense(or debate thereof) for an absurdly short time on the planet.... it is a tiring endeavor. Let us all have our crusades and jihads and debate their merits once we are dust. And yes, the marriage of children is a pretty fucked up thing. At this point in life I couldn't even imagine carrying on with a vapid 20 year old.

Exactly! Islam and Christianity are two different sides of the same coin; so is Judaism, but that breaks my metaphor as coins don't really have three sides... Would the edge count as a side? Hmm, who knows.
tl;dr Do we really have time for all this.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Does the pope condemn westboro?
Spoiler:
FXLFbuq.gif