Thread for fun: Fighting Game Characters and the IRL fighters who inspired them

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I'll start with Street fighter.
Whether we hate it or not, its pretty universally embraced for its source material.

And by "source material" I mean the beloved and sometimes notorious fighters who inspired it's characters....so this is basically my excuse to post highlight reels and discuss fighters on here.

Feel free to do the same.

Off the top of my head, here are a few obvious ones:

Hugo

Oro

Ryu (and Mr. Karate in his later years)

Balrog

Fei Long

Adon

Abel

Any other ones I missed?

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I've always thought Steven Segal was the inspiration for Robert Garcia, at least visually.

Suave dressing mofo.

Last edited:

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Abadede from Streets of Rage

sor2_8_elevator-zkusanorage.png

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Gai Tendo from Buriki One

Hahah nice...I always said it was Genki Sudo but your guess make a little more sense.

Silber from Buriki One

Actually I'd go so far as to say that Ralph is single handedly responsible for every cheapassed, oversized, SNK endboss to ever come from Germany.

EDIT: Well...Him or Matthias Hughes....shit, the 80s really was an era of jacked Germans in Martial Arts films.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Oh so we are doing movie inspirations now? cool.

Mike Haggar

Emilio, the big guy shown at 1:55, looks and fights exactly like Haggar.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
2d master, that's pretty awesome.

But Haggar has an IRL counterpart as well.

Here he is fighting G. Andorre:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Cody Travers (FINAL FIGHT)

Michael Pare' as Tom Cody in Streets of Fire (even the hair is the same)

for those who don't know who Willem Dafoe is, Pare'
is the guy at the beginning of the link and who drives
up at the end in the red car.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
World Heroes is full of them.
Muscle Power
Jeanne D'Arc
Kim Dragon
Erick

And then some of the Samurai Shodown characters were based on legends of people that actually existed.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Haohmaru - Miyamoto Musashi
mus7.jpg

Ukyo - Sasaki Kojiro Genryu

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Rey Mysterio is El Blaze in Virtua Fighter 5. He is even smaller than the other fighters!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Holy shit that Van Vader clip rocked....how could he not be the inspiration for big bear?

Anyway, here's a few more:

Dee Jay, Rugal Bernstein, Kitana

Patrick Von Heyting, Buriki ONE

Rob Python(pretty sure he's based on this guy)

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Dee Jay, Rugal Bernstein, Kitana

[/YOUTUBE]

Lol, is it just me or does that fight/chase scene seem riped-off from the movie "Double Impact"?

Also, it's a bit weird to see the alien from "I come in peace" and Lo-pan from "Big trouble in little china" in the same movie. I gotta see this shit. I laughed at how the black guy just stood there and takes 20 roundhouses to the face, without even trying to defend himself.

----

Joe Higashi

(Sorry the only video I could find of the scene)

This might seem far fetched as hell, but I always thought that this guy shown doing katas at 00:38 was an inspiration for Joe Higashi. If you watch the movie he's even a goofy, loud-mouthed, prankster like Joe.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I'll start with Street fighter.
Whether we hate it or not, its pretty universally embraced for its source material.

And by "source material" I mean the beloved and sometimes notorious fighters who inspired it's characters....so this is basically my excuse to post highlight reels and discuss fighters on here.

Feel free to do the same.

Off the top of my head, here are a few obvious ones:

Hugo

Oro

Ryu (and Mr. Karate in his later years)

Balrog

Fei Long

Adon

Abel

Any other ones I missed?

Mas Oyama is obviously the inspiration for Takuma as he was the founder of Kyokushin and Takuma founded Kyokugen Karate.

Ryu was actually Inspired by Yoshiji Soeno who Mas Oyama sent over to Thailand to fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76pmkvf5N_I

Soeno later left Kyokushin and founded Shidokan(possibly the very reason that RYU and KEN's style was mis translated as Shotokan...)

Ken Masters was inspired by Joe Lewis. Full Contact Kickboxing champion. Wore red mostly..

kenjoelewis.jpg

Now something I pointed out to Loopz.
If you watch the 1975 documentary "Fighting Black Kings" about the 1974 Kyokushin World Tournament you will see tons of images that Capcom and SNK have used for fighting game backgrounds for years...

This site here has a ton of ideas too!

http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/ripofffolder/ripoffpage1.html

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Wasn't Adon around way before Prince Naseem was a known fighter?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Loopz introduced me to Fighting Black Kings via youtube and man it's a goddamned crime it ain't on DVD.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Ryu was actually Inspired by Yoshiji Soeno who Mas Oyama sent over to Thailand to fight.

Maybe he was a combination of the two. Oyama was a wandering karateka of no fixed address that trained under waterfalls up in the snowy mountains....did this Yoshiji guy do the same?

LOL shit, there goes this thread....I guess they left out a few KOF and MK characters though.

Wasn't Adon around way before Prince Naseem was a known fighter?

I looked into it, the original Adon was based on nobody and he theoretically took on the likeness of Naseem with the release of SF Alpha in June of 1995....at that point Naseem already had 12 or 13 fights....so was he well known by then?

I'm not sure...

the black guy just stood there and takes 20 roundhouses to the face, without even trying to defend himself.

SNK boss syndrome.

EDIT: Here's another one

Craig Marduk from Tekken (both gigantic heel wrestlers from Australia)

And if they ever made a samsho movie he would make a pretty good Seiger as well.

Last edited:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Yeah maybe Ryu is a combination of Oyama and Soeno. Soeno was one of Mas Oyama's first students. He was chosen to prove that Mas Oyama's new style(not yet Kyokushin) was better than the Muay Thai fighters. Hence he was sent to fight the best Thai boxers.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I just want ya'll to know that I love this thread.