Thunderforce V up on JPN PSN

Dio Brando

Mickey's Coach
I have the ps1 version. It's been awhile, but it was decent. Looked good for its day, has some cool bosses, and handles well. Nothing too special, but I would say that it is worth your time.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
I've only played TFV on Saturn and will vouch for that. Not sure its going rate today, but when I scored it CIB for $20 some 7-8 years ago... man I got a lot of mileage outta that one.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It's worth getting, but it's hard as balls. The presentation is fantastic - the menus are really attractive and there a lot of different options.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I have both the Saturn and the Playstation version.

TF5 was great when it came out. I preferred G-Darius, but I still played TF5 a lot.

It's all about using the Free Range weapon. Once you master the weapon the game becomes pretty easy.

The graphics are a little bland, but the overall feel of the game is fantastic and a blast to play.

I highly recommend it. I prefer the graphics on the Saturn version, but they are almost identical. Definitely worth picking up for 600 yen. I grabbed it today and put it on my PSP.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I have the PSX version and greatly enjoy it. But yes, it's hard. I think after you play for an extended period of time it unlocks either more continues or unlimited continues, but you definitely don't get it right away.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I snagged this and Einhander.

Einhander seems much more impressive, but they both seem pretty cool.

Shooting while commuting for me this week...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
One of my fave hori shmups of that time.

Difficult, yes, but also very addictive. I own the PSX version and played the SAT variant long enough to be able to say that the PSX port has the subtitle "Perfect System" for a reason (the dev'ers also think so, btw.). The SAT version looks slightly better, though.

The music and sound effects create a very nice atmosphere, always loved Technosoft's style.

And yes, you can unlock some stuff, including Free Play, just keep on trying! :)

RBjakeSpecial is right about Free Range, it's THE weapon to master in TF-V, almost could be called overpowered (a fact the dev'ers adressed in TV-VI). Also make sure to use the speed adjust option to its fullest, choosing the right ship speed is essential in many situations.

Einhänder?

Hmm... never got into it to be honest but it sure looks good.

Last edited:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I think the gameplay is reasonably solid but those visuals make my eyes bleed. So bad that's it's hard to discern between background and solid objects, cue cheap deaths. Give me part 2, 3 or 4 anyday.