Tilt converting Final Furlong cabinets to KoF XI

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
so I stopped by the Tilt in Vancouver, WA for the first time and saw a King of Fighters XI cabinet there. This wasn't any ordinary cabinet though, it had apparently been converted from Namco's Final Furlong (you know, the horse racing game where you practically hump the seat). Of course the little "horse" controls had been removed and a regular joystick cabinet was put in its place. It kept both screens though, so each player gets their own screen to look at... which is kinda unnecessary when it's a side-by-side cabinet, ya know?

When I took a closer look at the marquee, it seemed like the marquee had been perfectly made for the sole purpose of going into a Final Furlong cabinet. As far as I can tell this isn't an isolated incident either, as a friend of mine has told me they did the same thing at the Tilt in Brownsville, Texas. Is Sega specifically offering kits made JUST to convert old Final Furlong cabinets, or is this strictly a Tilt thing?

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, or I would have gotten pictures :( so yeah, if your local Tilt has/had a Final Furlong cabinet, pay it a visit to see if your cabinet got converted.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
I went to see it today, I completely forgot about that Tilt. The one in Portland (Loyd Center) is simular, but no AW games, so it was my chance to see some in person I played KoF XI and also guilty gear. I have to say that KoF looks good but does'nt really demonstrate the AW hardware the way GG does, it sorta looks like a good Neo MVS KoF to me, which is good since SNK isn't doing anything too drastic and it seems like a pretty good game. I wonder how many other Neo-Geo fans are in the NW corner, we should all get togethor for real gaming, I guess I should open a thread in events or something. There is a serious lack of good arcades here (surprise). I used to go to the Wunderland @ Washington Square that place was awesome huge, like 3 rooms (1 just for classics), since it closed about 10 years ago everythings gone downhill.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
yeah, I just moved to Portland like a month ago. Only other person in Portland I know of who posts here is kafuin_gaira, but I'm sure there's got to be at least a couple others in the general vicinity.. Haven't found too much in the way of Neo-Geo cabinets, although there's a 6-slot at Valley Lanes, a 4-slot at some laser tag place in Beaverton, and various other machines scattered around... I think there was a KoF Neowave at another bowling alley.

KoF XI seemed alright, but I've really been out of the loop with KoF for a while, I never really played them that much after '98. Don't know if the one in Vancouver will get any play, but I have seen some people regularly playing KoF 2003 on Saturdays at Lloyd Center. Apparently KoF 2003 gets hated on big time on these forums but I kind of enjoy it (other than the Duolon bullshit). Meh.