To buy a Neo Geo CD or Neo Geo CD-Z?

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Since you're looking for a way to play SNK's games without spending too much, the Neo
CD would be your best bet. Unfortunately, SNK discontinued Neo CD development
some time ago, but there are plenty of noteworthy Neo CD games to be had at decent
prices. You'll get better music (in some cases; some people prefer the original home cart soundtracks), more options (the Metal Slug games have art galleries, etc.), and a built-in lithium battery for save games (no memory cards are needed; has anyone ever filled their Neo CD battery with too many saves and were forced to delete some? I can picture this being a problem, but during the 4 years I've owned a Neo CD, this has never been the case). I think you should buy one IMHO...

benares

Kula's Candy
I know it sounds freaky (and it is) but I think I am going to buy one. It's not about money (but I don't have an unlimited amount of that either) it just seems like a cool system to own.

Yes, I guess in some ways money comes into the picture. It's easier to own a $75 Pulstar CD than a $650 Cartridge for example. But it's just something about the system that to me says "BUY ME! I'LL MAKE YOU HAPPY!"

BTW: When Neo-Geo memory cards die they are dead for good correct? (no way to change the battery.)

This might be yet another advantage of the Neo-CD. When the battery is dead, just change it.

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
I'm not sure if the battery in the Neo CD can be changed. I suppose it could be swapped for another Neo CD battery, but I don't think you can just pull it out and put another one in. Then again, I've never opened my Neo CD and have never seen it.

The battery is rechargable though, and gets charged when you play the system. So you should never have to change the battery anyway. I suppose it will eventually lose its ability to recharge down the line, but you probably won't be playing the system anymore by the time that happens.
smile.gif