Today is Armistice Day.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Or as 70,000,000+ Americans call it: "Suckers and Losers Day".

So this book is a sidewalk strewn with junk, trash which I throw over my shoulders as I travel in time back to November eleventh, nineteen hundred and twenty-two.

I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh, accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I was a boy, and when Dwayne Hoover was a boy, all the people of all the nations which had fought in the First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.

Armistice Day has become Veterans’ Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans’ Day is not.

So I will throw Veterans’ Day over my shoulder. Armistice Day I will keep. I don’t want to throw away any sacred things.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I beat you to the punch by roughly 45 minutes.

War Room. Duf thread from 2013.

But, 'Suckers and Losers Day' nails it.

I am still not ready to accept that 71,000,000 people voted to keep him in office. I am more distraught about that then anyone else I know.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Its remembrance day here, well, since I can remember.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Eh...there's some smearing going on here, typical.

For many countries, Nov 11 is a day of remembrance of those who fell in WWI...and sometimes other wars. Sure, there are some who call it a day in remembrance of world peace, but that was pretty shit on not too long after WWI with the spark of WWII.

If you're to view Armistice day as a day in the remembering of those we've lost, America already has that in Memorial Day...and that predated Armistice by decades.

So many just want to hard-focus on the negative, calming that modern day Veteran's Day is nothing more than a celebration of the military complex, but it can also simply be viewed as reflecting on those who have served this country and didn't happen to die in some war. There are so many thankless soldiers that served this country in peace time, for shit pay, in shit conditions, that went on into civilian lives quietly. I feel that Veteran's Day is for them.

All this hating of shit like this reminds me of some religions that want to bash something like Christmas because of some off pagan ties to it 1000's of years ago. They're missing the entire point. That I know of, not one person who fought in WWI is left alive and that definitely wasn't "The war to end all wars", hell the argument could even be made that WWI was handled so poorly that they all had to do it over again in WWII. You want to focus on a failed treaty vs a simple "thank you" for those that serve? Sure, knock yourself out. It must be super fun being cynical, some of you here seem to thrive on it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
So what you are saying is:
November 11th: Suckers
Last monday in May: Losers

Got it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
With respect Armistice day has some deep meaning behind it. Someone post the Vonnegut quote, please.

Rebranding it “Veterans” day cheapens the day. It cheapens it for the veterans who have served, cheapens it especially to those who have fought, and pisses on the memory of the literal generation of young men who died face down in stinking shit mud holes, who asphyxiated to death, who were exploded or riddled with heavy machine gun fire as they charged across an open field. The war itself was a never before seen nightmare. A slaughter on an unimaginable scale.

Today is a somber day of reflection. It is not a day to be celebrated.

Go watch Gallipoli or even All Quiet on the Western Front.

Go look at some paintings by Paul Nash.

Read some poetry by Alfred Owen.

But whatever you do please remember.

Please remember the profound pointlessness of the war.

And then remember 20 years later we did the same fucking thing all over again.

An unintended lesson but one we best study and remember.

This is a day to remember that men, our leaders, have viewed their own country men as nothing more than pawns in a grand game, who were nothing more than livestock sent to a literal field of slaughter.

Goodnight.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
With respect Armistice day has some deep meaning behind it. Someone post the Vonnegut quote, please.

Rebranding it “Veterans” day cheapens the day. It cheapens it for the veterans who have served, cheapens it especially to those who have fought, and pisses on the memory of the literal generation of young men who died face down in stinking shit mud holes, who asphyxiated to death, who were exploded or riddled with heavy machine gun fire as they charged across an open field. The war itself was a never before seen nightmare. A slaughter on an unimaginable scale.

Today is a somber day of reflection. It is not a day to be celebrated.

Go watch Gallipoli or even All Quiet on the Western Front.

Go look at some paintings by Paul Nash.

Read some poetry by Alfred Owen.

But whatever you do please remember.

Please remember the profound pointlessness of the war.

And then remember 20 years later we did the same fucking thing all over again.

An unintended lesson but one we best study and remember.

This is a day to remember that men, our leaders, have viewed their own country men as nothing more than pawns in a grand game, who were nothing more than livestock sent to a literal field of slaughter.

Goodnight.

Since the 1800s, we’ve had a somber day of remembrance and reflection.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Eh...there's some smearing going on here, typical.

For many countries, Nov 11 is a day of remembrance of those who fell in WWI...and sometimes other wars. Sure, there are some who call it a day in remembrance of world peace, but that was pretty shit on not too long after WWI with the spark of WWII.

If you're to view Armistice day as a day in the remembering of those we've lost, America already has that in Memorial Day...and that predated Armistice by decades.

So many just want to hard-focus on the negative, calming that modern day Veteran's Day is nothing more than a celebration of the military complex, but it can also simply be viewed as reflecting on those who have served this country and didn't happen to die in some war. There are so many thankless soldiers that served this country in peace time, for shit pay, in shit conditions, that went on into civilian lives quietly. I feel that Veteran's Day is for them.

All this hating of shit like this reminds me of some religions that want to bash something like Christmas because of some off pagan ties to it 1000's of years ago. They're missing the entire point. That I know of, not one person who fought in WWI is left alive and that definitely wasn't "The war to end all wars", hell the argument could even be made that WWI was handled so poorly that they all had to do it over again in WWII. You want to focus on a failed treaty vs a simple "thank you" for those that serve? Sure, knock yourself out. It must be super fun being cynical, some of you here seem to thrive on it.

Look at this guy taking umbrage at being reminded that Trump was a draft dodger who mocks soldiers and used tear gas on civilians in DC for a photo op.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Look at this guy taking umbrage at being reminded that Trump was a draft dodger who mocks soldiers and used tear gas on civilians in DC for a photo op.

I’m defending the US decision to create Veterans Day.

Quit projecting, you Trump obsessed dolt, not everything people say has to do with who is or was president. Jesus, you really need to take a few steps back and collect yourself.

*EDIT*
You know...you seriously do have issues...you're extreme level of loathing for a politician you don't even personally know is borderline psychosis. I'm beginning to support his decision to keep your cousins from flying to this county a few years back ,especially if they're as fucking nuts as you are.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Wasabi might be nuts. But he didn't vote for someone who called him a sucker.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’m defending the US decision to create Veterans Day.

Quit projecting, you Trump obsessed dolt, not everything people say has to do with who is or was president. Jesus, you really need to take a few steps back and collect yourself.

*EDIT*
You know...you seriously do have issues...you're extreme level of loathing for a politician you don't even personally know is borderline psychosis. I'm beginning to support his decision to keep your cousins from flying to this county a few years back ,especially if they're as fucking nuts as you are.

Trump is a politician?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wasabi might be nuts. But he didn't vote for someone who called him a sucker.

And I didn't vote for for an old pervert who date rapes pre teen girls with his meat hooks and old man snout.

...on that topic, I wonder if he'll have a dickhole cut in his masks once he's the pres so he can keep sniffing unfiltered...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
And I didn't vote for for an old pervert who date rapes pre teen girls with his meat hooks and old man snout.

...on that topic, I wonder if he'll have a dickhole cut in his masks once he's the pres so he can keep sniffing unfiltered...

You didn’t vote for Trump?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Oh...you....clever boy. I see what you did there...

I can tell you what I didn’t do:

Ride Epstein’s jet to his island for parties
Enter the dressing room of beauty pageants while teenage girls were naked
Or say that “I would date my daughter if I could”

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

I thought that it was about keeping your guns or something.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/16/politics/trump-possible-offensive-iran-nuclear-site/index.html
President Donald Trump last week asked senior aides what possibilities he had for an offensive strike on Iran's primary nuclear site, The New York Times reported Monday.

Citing four current and former US officials, the paper reported that the meeting occurred in the Oval Office on Thursday. A day before, the International Atomic Energy Agency issued a report obtained by the Times stating that Iran's stockpiles of uranium had reached 12 times the 300-kilogram limit set in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, the landmark nuclear deal Iran signed with the United States and five other nations in 2015. Trump took the US out of the deal in 2018.

CNN has reached out to the agency for a copy of the report.

Trump asked his highest-ranking national security advisers what possible responses were available to him and how best to respond to Iran, officials told the Times.

Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark Milley were among the senior advisers who convinced the President not to pursue a military strike, according to the paper. They cautioned that such an attack could easily balloon into a full-fledged confrontation in his final days as president, the Times reported.

Administration officials with knowledge of the meeting told the paper that after Pompeo and Milley hammered home the threat of the attack mushrooming into a larger conflict, officials departed the meeting thinking that the possibility of a missile attack on Iranian soil was no longer in question.

But officials told the paper that Trump could be continuing to eye plans to attack Iranian allies and assets, such as militias in Iraq.

Trump withdrew from the Iran deal and re-introduced economic sanctions in 2018. Iran announced a partial withdrawal from the deal in May 2019, and that July the Iranian government announced that Tehran had begun to increase uranium enrichment beyond the purity threshold it agreed to as part of a landmark nuclear deal.

Considering when Esper was fired, makes you wonder if the strike was going to happen around armistice day.