Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater turns 20 today (and a documentary!)

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Tony Hawks Pro Skater came out 20 years ago today. This game (and ESPECIALLY the soundtrack) influenced my life so much as an 11 year old. I’m 100% certain I wouldn’t be the same adult I am today without it - and today released a trailer for a documentary about the history of it.

https://vimeo.com/356757805

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
i played the demo for 2 so much while being crippled and on hydrocodone.

what birds were squaking on that french place that was the demo???i will google now.

that was easy enough, except it had cheering over the birds

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
1-3 are totally boss.

Fuck the rest though.

3 is my absolute favorite. I love the soundtrack to 3, (1 is up there too. I know a lot of people love 2 but it doesn’t do it for me), it has my favorite 3 levels from 1, the revert was added, and it was expansive but still had that arcade style game play.

Once it went open world it lost a little charm to me, plus I wasn’t a fan of when it started losing its grounding in reality.

4 the ramps all give so much air, you can’t skate any of the parks realistically at all. A small kicker with no speed suddenly gives enough air to grind rafters. Which is neat but I preferred the more “grounded but exaggerated” feel of the first 3

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
3 is my absolute favorite. I love the soundtrack to 3, (1 is up there too. I know a lot of people love 2 but it doesn’t do it for me), it has my favorite 3 levels from 1, the revert was added, and it was expansive but still had that arcade style game play.

Once it went open world it lost a little charm to me, plus I wasn’t a fan of when it started losing its grounding in reality.

4 the ramps all give so much air, you can’t skate any of the parks realistically at all. A small kicker with no speed suddenly gives enough air to grind rafters. Which is neat but I preferred the more “grounded but exaggerated” feel of the first 3

The OG Xbox ports are the best.

Tony Hawk 2X has all 19 levels from the first two games, 5 exclusive levels, and some extra content.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

Tony Hawk 2X has all 19 levels from the first two games, 5 exclusive levels, and some extra content.

Last week I installed THPS3 on my original Xbox and played through it again. Still is just so good!

famicommander

15 Year Member
Last week I installed THPS3 on my original Xbox and played through it again. Still is just so good!

I had the PS1 version of 3 as a kid, which was already great. Tracked down the Xbox version much later on and it was like a whole new experience.

Shockingly, the N-Gage port of THPS is pretty rock soild.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Loved the second one, very nostalgic to me. Also had Spider-Man as a hidden char, which was pretty cool.

too bad they only released shit after 4

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member

They also rumble the controller in time to the bass when you skate in front of a loudspeaker.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
2 took up quite a chunk of my time playing PS, 3 was great but lost interest after that. After all how much can you skate around before this shit gets boring?

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
2 took up quite a chunk of my time playing PS, 3 was great but lost interest after that. After all how much can you skate around before this shit gets boring?

I still love skateboarding games. The skate series is amazing. Looking forward to Session.

Since the team had that yearly release they just kept getting more and more over the top. And eventually that gets boring.

Skate took off because it stripped it down to realistic skating physics and a really cool control system

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

This. Soundtrack to 2 was the best, as well.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Tony Hawk was over the minute you get off a skateboard and talk to people.

Also my brother tore his ACL trying to do stupid Tony Hawk shit on his skateboard. Tony Hawk owes my dad like 16 thousand dollars.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This was my favorite game of the year. Probably played part 1 more than part 2 but enjoyed both just as much. Part 3 I did like but didn't enjoy it as much as the other two even though this was the best the game had ever felt. I couldn't get into part 4, I can see what they were trying to do but it just didn't work. After that I just lost track of the series and stopped caring about it.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The first THPS will always remind me of the start of my military career. Every PS1 that was bought during that time at the base PX pretty much came with that game.

Barge me with your walkin'.
Spray me with your talkin'.
I am the ambassador.
I'll kick your assador.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
This was my favorite game of the year. Probably played part 1 more than part 2 but enjoyed both just as much. Part 3 I did like but didn't enjoy it as much as the other two even though this was the best the game had ever felt. I couldn't get into part 4, I can see what they were trying to do but it just didn't work. After that I just lost track of the series and stopped caring about it.

I didn’t like 4, I prefer the arcade style set up of “here’s a level, here’s your goals, here’s 2 minutes to get as many done. GO!” Of the first 3but the Underground and Underground 2 were better than 4. Underground 2 was where sales peaked (2 is where reviewed peaked, average 98%, 3 averages 97%)

The last one that is generally playable is American Wasteland (the 7th in the series).

After that it was completely downhill - and hard.

It’s been the first 3 games has a lot of levels either based on real parks, or had sections based on real spots in skate videos (School II in THPS2 has both the Leap of Faith Jamie Thomas made famous in Thrill of It All and also had the stairs Chad Muska skated in Fulfill the Dream for example).

Even Underground 2’s ending with “SKATETOPIA” is a real place in Ohio (and yeah they really do set off an asinine amount of fireworks at their annual Bowl Bash)

Last edited: