Musha
Blast Wind
Viper Phase
Esprade

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
8) Air Zonk - fun but short game. Nice bright visuals

7) Soldier Blade - came close to putting final soldier here but this one nudges it out with its bosses and presentation.

6) Batsugun Special - if I had to give one reason to buy a Saturn it’d be for this game. Toaplan’s swan song was the introduction to bullet hell.

5) Forgotten Worlds PCE CD - just excellent all around and plays great with the avenue 3. It has that awesome Capcom weirdness we saw in Strider and Trojan and an excellent CD soundtrack. The arrangement is so good that it’s hard to play the arcade original. I know the arcade version looks better but this is my favorite version of the game.

4) Lords of Thunder - great challenge, great graphics, great buttrock soundtrack. What’s not to love?

3) Harmful Park - I still haven’t 1cc’d this on the harder levels but holy shit what a ride. Probably one of my most played shmups of all time. So many little visual treats. Definitely inspired by the Parodius series but I much prefer the gameplay in this game.

2) Battlemania 2 daiginjou - The Japanese only sequel to Troubleshooter. So much fun in this game I’m glad it was translated too. Fun story. It has great gameplay and excellent music and just a general fun atmosphere. It’s like forgotten worlds but staring two anime dorks instead. I got so obsessed with this that I almost did a no hit/damage 1cc on the hardest difficulty. Truly my favorite Genesis shmup.

1) Armed Police Batrider - in previous years I would have said Battle Garegga and that’s still a great game, but APB is more refined and maybe a bit easier but so rewarding. From the boss battles to the kick ass soundtrack, truly the best shmup ever made and my favorite 1cc.

Last edited: