Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
It was such a missed opportunity for beat 'em ups on the NEO•GEO.
It could have absolutely had some stellar games if they had just tried.

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
Yeah, i don't see much redeeming in the Sengoku series. It feels like a cheap console port of an arcade game when you compare it to the Capcom brawlers of the day.
sad but true

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What sad?

That was SNK.

Capcom was the A-team, SNK was the B-team. No other way around it. Period.

It's not about who's the best. The spirit is there.

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
Once SNK got going, Capcom was what others settled for.
That's good recap of what happened.

SNK. is no B team at all. There is no comparison between many SNK charming games and many Capcom uninspired titles. SNK had spirit, anima and charisma capcom never had. Some titles are simply brilliant and evocative, like Kizuna, Big Tournament golf, ninja master, slugs and so on.
SNK is like modern art, you have to a be a connoisseur to understand its message ... and still you just have to be a simple player to appreciate and enjoy neo geo games.
Like I always said, the real power of neo geo games is that they are worldwide known and immediately available and playable.

As a side note, if you compare the story of Kawasaki with the one of Tsujimoto, Kawasaki 's life seems to be taken from a cool movie.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Thanks @Neo Alec for the excellent video. I sympathized with your somewhat heavy pause right before your remark about Sengoku 2 being the last beat ‘em up that we’ll see for a while. It really is a shame we didn’t see more brawlers on the system.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Excellent review of Sengoku 2 @Neo Alec - when you talk about a game, it always feels like the definitive retrospective (you clearly put a lot of effort in your research).
I have the MVS cart but I haven't played it enough... most brawlers tend to get very repetitive after a while, but we forget that back in those days gettin' to see a new level and marveling at the graphics was the reward. Of course now we want combos, a deeper system... but when I was a kid and I only had a Commodore 16 at home, I could stare at cabinets running the attract mode for hours (mostly 'cause I couldn't afford to play them). Small things like picking up a hidden metal pipe behind the scenery in Tough Turf had a great impact on your imagination, now we're spoiled, to say the least.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Finally watched the video, thanks @Neo Alec

Can't blame SNK for not fighting the arcade war on all fronts as it's the focus on fighting games that largely contributed to define the system's identity.

I like Sengoku 2 because it just oozes cool, but at the same time... I find it a bit lame. To me the first one really shined because of its transformation / charged shot system, which I find clunky and a bit too complicated in the 2nd one. So that in the end, I've mostly played it like a button masher while enjoying the graphics and atmosphere, but never really played it the autistic way it is meant to be played, unlike Sengoku 1, which is still one of my favourite games on the system.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
sengoku sux

sengoku 2 also sux
270ab9cc-dc82-407b-af4e-5ec47d140a5a_text.gif

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
As a side note, if you compare the story of Kawasaki with the one of Tsujimoto, Kawasaki 's life seems to be taken from a cool movie.
Feel free to go into more detail about this any time. I'm genuinely curious.

NeoSeeD

n00b
Turtles in Time SNES/Golden Axe MD >>>>>>>>> Sengoku, Sengoku 2, Sengoku 3.
Streets of Rage 2 / Streets of Rage 3 / Paprium / Final Fight 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mutation Nation, Robo Army/ Burning Fight/Ninja Combat/ Legend of Success Joe.
Final Vendetta - Better than other Neo brawlers, but otherwise an extremely average game with good music.
Vengeance Hunters - TBD

It would be great to have an excellent Neo brawler in the gameplay dept.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
"bubububub baseball stars TWOOOOO!" haha, great video as usual, man.

I don't like sportball much, but SNK made or published some excellent sports games. Baseball Stars 2 along with Neo Turf Masters are the only sports games I own besides the Virtua Tennis series on Dreamcast.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
"bubububub baseball stars TWOOOOO!" haha, great video as usual, man.

I don't like sportball much, but SNK made or published some excellent sports games. Baseball Stars 2 along with Neo Turf Masters are the only sports games I own besides the Virtua Tennis series on Dreamcast.
League Bowling is another great one. Simple, but so addictive.