Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Great video, Alec! Lord, I remember that VHS tape from the DHP days. Wish I would have gotten my hands on one.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I could make you a copy if I still had two VCR's. :LOL: But there's nothing interesting to see on there other than the Fun Fun Bros, Mystic Wand and Dunk Star footage that I've already shared on Youtube. Kidding aside, back in the days before Youtube, yeah it was a revelation to be able to see all the Neo Geo games in action.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
That's an admirable amount of legwork for that mahjong episode. I thought it was pretty interesting, though.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
In terms of the actual game of Mahjong, Minnasan is one of the easiest offerings on the Neo. The board is what adds difficulty and cheapness, especially with the game over spaces. When it comes to the core Mahjong gameplay itself, Minnasan doesn’t cheat the player nearly as much as other arcade Mahjong games. I recommend it, and Janshin Densetsu for beginner players who know the core basics of the game. Bakatonosama is a step up in difficulty from Minnasan in my own experience.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
In terms of the actual game of Mahjong, Minnasan is one of the easiest offerings on the Neo. The board is what adds difficulty and cheapness, especially with the game over spaces. When it comes to the core Mahjong gameplay itself, Minnasan doesn’t cheat the player nearly as much as other arcade Mahjong games. I recommend it, and Janshin Densetsu for beginner players who know the core basics of the game. Bakatonosama is a step up in difficulty from Minnasan in my own experience.
I think this guy might actually play video games

get 'em, lads!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Strange how in the early days of the neo Geo they had such little regard for copyright.
I think it's likely that the programmers had no idea whether the game would be officially licensed or not when they were working on it. In fact, Monlith might have intended to get the rights all along, but went ahead and released it anyway with minor changes when they couldn't secure them, or weren't willing to pay what was asked.

It may be just the way things were done back then though. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Yes, the game gives you those items that basically let you automatically win, and the mahjong itself isn't bad. The game board is bullshit though, and the lack of a real ending is a letdown.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Gonna watch it after work, but I always thought that was supposed to be the anti-mahjong game, and I wonder if it was ever successful for operators given the usual target audience for these games.

edit: wow I cannot believe they had such guts to just rip off a current tv show in their own country. Amazing.

Last edited:

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Good video as always Alec! It's interesting to note that Monolith Corp. would go on to develop the unreleased Last Odyssey: Pinball Fantasia for Neo Geo. Looking foward to the Dunk Star episode BTW!

Raguy

New Challenger
Very interesting theses details about tv show. A good ngh video review by neo alec. Next with unreleased dunk star, i think that you will speak about super dunk star on snes. I wonder if it is special version for snes or if it is a direct port from neo geo version.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Nifty to see that the game actually had some content outside of a blah mahjong table stage and hideous characters.

@Neo Alec

Just wanna say I love your video series and seeing a new one drop always brightens up my day. You clearly put a lot of work and passion into these, and it's great to learn about some of the more obscure connections in games like Minasan No Okagesama desu.

Keep up the great work! 😊👍

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Here's the Dunk Star video:

So Aicom did a lot of basketball games prior to Dunk Star? Interesting. It was also kind of hilarious hearing Chad Okada saying Dunk Star shouldn't be finished. Looking forward to the insult that is Legend of Success Joe...