Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I seem to be getting a lot of comments like, "Glad I never played this." Well, I do hope you play it. I want you to try everything on the Neo Geo. You might like it, especially after I've set your expectations low.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I seem to be getting a lot of comments like, "Glad I never played this." Well, I do hope you play it. I want you to try everything on the Neo Geo. You might like it, especially after I've set your expectations low.
lol bad games deserve love too

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I want a dinner box lol ! I've heard the horror stories for how terrible legend of success joe is i'm glad i never pickup the game to begin with.Damn it doesn't even stake advantage of the hardware it's graphics&sound remind more of a poorly made sega genesis game.
dinnerbox.jpg
"Hey, that's my dinner box! Give me my dinner box! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you! Especially those of you on the jury!"

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I only played LoSJ once and I don't ever want to play it again. Can't believe the SNES Ashita no Joe somehow looks and sounds even worse than the Neo Geo game. Like, how is that fucking possible!? Nevertheless, great work on the video Alec!

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Kinda surprised there was no mention of the fact that the game cuts off continues on HOSE MENDOZE, just like the last boss in NAM-1975. Pretty much anyone credit feeding through the game the first time is not going to find a pattern for the Hoser and will get Game Over'd with no warning. Just another fun aspect of this fine video game!

I actually don't think this game is as bad as Fight Fever. It's awful, but... there's sort of a method to the madness. There are actual patterns that work for every stage, it's just not very intuitive to figure out how you're supposed to handle each fight. You have to be tapped into the same brainwave frequency as the aliens that made this game.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Kinda surprised there was no mention of the fact that the game cuts off continues on HOSE MENDOZE, just like the last boss in NAM-1975. Pretty much anyone credit feeding through the game the first time is not going to find a pattern for the Hoser and will get Game Over'd with no warning. Just another fun aspect of this fine video game!

I actually don't think this game is as bad as Fight Fever. It's awful, but... there's sort of a method to the madness. There are actual patterns that work for every stage, it's just not very intuitive to figure out how you're supposed to handle each fight. You have to be tapped into the same brainwave frequency as the aliens that made this game.
Yeah, I should've mentioned that. With a memory card you can just save and start again on Hose Mendoze, albeit with his lifebar full.

Fight Fever wouldn't be nearly as bad if it weren't so impossibly difficult against the CPU at any level.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Fight Fever wouldn't be nearly as bad if it weren't so impossibly difficult against the CPU at any level.

MAME and other emulators support two different rom dumps for Fight Fever, and I recently discovered that the version labeled "Set 2" actually has a reasonable difficulty curve. On the first few stages the CPU will usually just stand there and let you do stuff, but it gradually ramps up (and then Master Taekuk and Karate Kenji are mad cheap of course). Set 1, the default set, tries to kill you from the first stage, lol. So anybody that decides to satisfy their curiosity with the game is always going to play Set 1 and then get their ass rocked by the CPU. I'm not sure which version came first, I imagine set 2 came out later but it's not like anybody really cares enough to figure out.

(I may be working on strats for a Fight Fever 1CC... kill me)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
LOSJ is still really awful, it’s so ugly and sounds so poor, with nonsensical animations and wretched gameplay. Fight fever can’t quite compete with that complete package of shit.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
MAME and other emulators support two different rom dumps for Fight Fever, and I recently discovered that the version labeled "Set 2" actually has a reasonable difficulty curve. On the first few stages the CPU will usually just stand there and let you do stuff, but it gradually ramps up (and then Master Taekuk and Karate Kenji are mad cheap of course). Set 1, the default set, tries to kill you from the first stage, lol. So anybody that decides to satisfy their curiosity with the game is always going to play Set 1 and then get their ass rocked by the CPU. I'm not sure which version came first, I imagine set 2 came out later but it's not like anybody really cares enough to figure out.

(I may be working on strats for a Fight Fever 1CC... kill me)
Wow, I'm gonna have to check this out! My cart must be set 1. I wonder if it's more common.

If they revised the difficulty, that would indicate that Viccom knew there was a problem. Still, I don't remember it being great with 2-players either. Not easy to find someone else to play Fight Fever with.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Wow, I'm gonna have to check this out! My cart must be set 1. I wonder if it's more common.

If they revised the difficulty, that would indicate that Viccom knew there was a problem. Still, I don't remember it being great with 2-players either. Not easy to find someone else to play Fight Fever with.

Oh yeah it's still absolute garbage especially in 2-player mode. Things just never function properly in that game, sometimes attacks do no damage on hit trades, light and heavy attacks often do the same amounts of damage, if you're already in a high blocking state when a low move comes out you're not allowed to switch blocking direction, proximity close normals activate from too far away and whiff entirely, and then there's just the general fucked up input detection... the list goes on and on. At least LOSJ kinda functions the way it's supposed to function, it's just a very rude experience to play if you can't figure out the strats for each boss.

About the only good thing I can say about Fight Fever is that some of the music is surprisingly good.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
View attachment 52428
"Hey, that's my dinner box! Give me my dinner box! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you! Especially those of you on the jury!"
That line makes me wonder if it was meant to be bento box unless it's just another case of lost in translation that went full on engrish.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
On what occasion the developer Shinichi Morioka he said that he was inspired to Joe Yabuki for creation of Kyō Kusanagi?
That's from here:
http://shmuplations.com/kof94/ (about 1/3 down the page)

That's from a 1994 developer interview, "All About The King of Fighters '94". It's from Micom BASIC Magazine's "All About" series.

It's been too long since I did the research on this, so I can't remember, but it looks like I may have assumed the person who brought it up in that article was Morioka, while that may not have been a safe assumption. I need to take better notes for my citations. I apologize for that.

Last edited:

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That's from here:
http://shmuplations.com/kof94/ (about 1/3 down the page)

That's from a 1994 developer interview, "All About The King of Fighters '94". It's from Micom BASIC Magazine's "All About" series.

It's been too long since I did the research on this, so I can't remember, but it looks like I may have assumed the person who brought it up in that article was Morioka, while that may not have been a safe assumption. I need to take better notes for my citations. I apologize for that.
Kyo Kusanagi

From the start our idea for KOF’94 was that it would be an ensemble cast of popular SNK characters, so we knew that any new characters we created would have to rival them in style! We put a lot of time into designing Kyo. In fact, we spent so much time on his design that his personality and character remained a mystery until the final stages of the development. Even the name “Kyo Kusanagi” wasn’t decided till the end. Do people know how difficult he was to make?! By the way, he was originally called Sho Kirishima.

But thanks to all those troubles, we came up with the idea that his ancestor was a practitioner of the Kusanagi Fist style, which he used to defeat the legendary Yamata no Orochi. According to Kyo’s designer, Ashita no Joe and Devilman were influences too.
You have to be very careful, because that's exactly how urban legends are born: from the interview you mentioned, indeed the developer named might have actually been Morioka, however, the reference to 'Ashita no Joe' and 'Devilman' is very vague and doesn't really talk about Joe Yabuki specifically.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
You have to be very careful, because that's exactly how urban legends are born: from the interview you mentioned, indeed the developer named might have actually been Morioka, however, the reference to 'Ashita no Joe' and 'Devilman' is very vague and doesn't really talk about Joe Yabuki specifically.
Yeah, this was a bad call, I'm sorry. I believe I put a note to include this tidbit (any extra SNK connections are pretty irresistable), and then later when I actually wrote it in an effort to make it easily digestible, I made a bad assumption without realizing I was making a leap. I'll add it to the list of things to fix if I ever were to redo the video.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
What I cant understand is that there was at least one great game from this era unreleased yet this one got the go ahead, its weird. Also, why put a team of nobody's to work on it if your going to pay for a license.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
What I cant understand is that there was at least one great game from this era unreleased yet this one got the go ahead, its weird. Also, why put a team of nobody's to work on it if your going to pay for a license.
Money. There were tons of bad games based on anime, and many did well just because they were attached to the IP, including this one. The practice of commissioning games based on popular IP's at a low budget clearly made business sense at the time. I believe it still does.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Money. There were tons of bad games based on anime, and many did well just because they were attached to the IP, including this one. The practice of commissioning games based on popular IP's at a low budget clearly made business sense at the time. I believe it still does.
There are GOOD games based on anime and manga. You just have to look hard enough for them, which is sadly easier said than done...

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
goof troop on the snes is the best anime based game ever made, thanks capcom