Tupac or Nas?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Tupac for sure. Versatile, emotional, and could rap with the best of them. His death did nothing but create a wealth of cheap impostors.

I love Nas too. I always did, but didn't realize how popular he was until I moved to NYC where he is more or less worshiped by hip hop heads. I saw him twice while I lived there, always had a good performance. Illmatic is one of the most important rap albums ever made. Right up there with Ready to Die, Enter the 36 chambers, etc.

Tupac, nas and biggie are the most over rated rappers of all time.

Biggie is a matter of taste, but when I hear someone say how amazing nas or tupac is I lose a bit of respect for them.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
When I hear someone say how amazing nas or tupac is I lose a bit of respect for them.

Either you were too young to understand in the 90s or you're trolling or you think I care if you respect me.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Tupac for sure. Versatile, emotional, and could rap with the best of them. His death did nothing but create a wealth of cheap impostors.

I love Nas too. I always did, but didn't realize how popular he was until I moved to NYC where he is more or less worshiped by hip hop heads. I saw him twice while I lived there, always had a good performance. Illmatic is one of the most important rap albums ever made. Right up there with Ready to Die, Enter the 36 chambers, etc.
I feel like creatively, Nas was never able to get back to his aggression and flow like in Stillmatic. Illmatic and God's Son are phenomenal, but his feud with Jay really pushed his creativity for the better.

Tupac is a classic, I'm partial to Big but always respect his honesty in how LA was back then. Their freestyle exchange presented by Funkmaster Flex is legendary

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I didn't include Big in this because I personally don't see a real dichotomy there between him and Pac. It was just the feud. Also his skills are there but he's a different breed. Personally I never liked his output.

Also Voltron, I don't agree at all. Tupac for one has an edge to him that put him beyond the typical confines present in hip hop.
And Nas was a prism for the culture at its Mecca.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Nas > 2Pac

All of 2Pac's stuff blends together. Prolific mediocre output of mostly forgettable music. Strongly dislike the omnipresent doubled vocals. Weak flow.

And never forget that 2Pac was a studio gangster of the highest order. Listen to him talk before he hit the big time. Dude sounded gayer than Dr Dre's World Class Wreckin Cru picture. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Illmatic destroys 2Pac's entire existence.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Nas and BIG were the soundtrack of my life in NY years ago. Streets Disciple.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

This^.

Also, MF Grimm, Kool G Rap, Mikey D (from the LA Posse, not Beastie Boys), Too Poetic, Lord Finese, AG, Masta Ace...I mean, Nas/Biggie/Jay equaling NY is bullshit.

There is a long list of MCs that have wrecked/would wreck Nas/Biggie &/or Jay.

Grimm in particular...his freestyles w/ G Rap on Stretch & Bobbito? C’mon. Also-his American Hunger Rebirth 2 colab w/ Drasar Monumental is the best hip hop record of the last 5 years easy. And the 5 years before that? Their Good Morning Vietnam trilogy.

As great as Grimm is...

...Big L eats the lunch of every rapper listed so far.

Pac should’ve stuck to movies.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The correct answer is Ice Cube.

Also Tupac more or less murdered a child.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Nas and BIG were the soundtrack of my life in NY years ago. Streets Disciple.

I gained new respect for Biggie. I liked him but I guess living in Brooklyn (and in his old neighborhood) I really saw the love that people still have for him. No one cares about Jay-Z. It's all about Biggie. The real King of Brooklyn (and New York).

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I gained new respect for Biggie. I liked him but I guess living in Brooklyn (and in his old neighborhood) I really saw the love that people still have for him. No one cares about Jay-Z. It's all about Biggie. The real King of Brooklyn (and New York).
Jay lost Brooklyn when he linked up with Kanye.

I'm partial to the East coast sound,so Nas has some bangers. His entire Illmatic album, Ether, Made You Look, Nasty, One Mic, hell even I Know I Can.

Pac had some hood philosophy going on, and Dear Mama is probably my favorite of his hits. Everything else tends to blend together for me, as I find it hard to name a Pac song just from the first few beats like I can with others.

Now Rakim, that man is a lyricist.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Nas and 2Pac where champions of hip hop (Biggie was too).
I love a ton of old and new hip hop, but non represent the culture like these two, and that goes beyond who they where, its more to do with what they stand for in the culture at large

Ultimately Eminem, Drake (can't stand him) and Lil Wayne will go down in history as promoters of hip hop into the mainstream, and their contributions should not be underestimated. But its not the same.
Maybe its an age thing though.
Some of these cats in the game these days are amazing (Kendrik, Jid, Boosie, to a lesser extent ASAP Ferg, Token, Zillakami, Denzel Curry etc.)

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Whereas hip hop used to give the voiceless the means to express their frustration, it now just lends legitimacy to boys never bothering to become men.

Discuss.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
What about Warren G & Nate Dogg? My summer basketball team when i was a kid was called Regulators...We always played the song Regulate, right before the match...Regulators mount up! Got the ghetto crowd hyped!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Illmatic is, out of what, a dozen studio albums, still Nas' only album with good production from start to finish. He's always been a good rapper but he's consistently hamstrung himself with bad beats.

Pac didn't have that problem, and he was charismatic as hell, but he's not on Nas' or Jay Z's or Kendrick Lamar's or a handful of other guys' talent level.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Wu-Tang forever!
And I'm with vba on the overrated thingy.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Illmatic is, out of what, a dozen studio albums, still Nas' only album with good production from start to finish. He's always been a good rapper but he's consistently hamstrung himself with bad beats.

Pac didn't have that problem, and he was charismatic as hell, but he's not on Nas' or Jay Z's or Kendrick Lamar's or a handful of other guys' talent level.
I can agree with this, even with my nostalgia for the lost tapes and Stillmatic. I Can,Nastrodamus, and Nasir just sound unmotivated