Turf Masters with busted audio

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Just want to be sure: this is broken, right? I’ve cleaned the contacts three times, it’s the only cartridge I’ve had any issues with.

If there’s any way to fix it, please tell me.

traveno

Rugal's Thug
Open up the cart and do a visual inspection. The V roms hold the sound samples. Sounds like some instruments are coming in ok but others are just static. A broken trace could act as an antenna and be picking up garbage.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Good advice. Definitely fixable. Do a visual inspection of the V roms, and get out the multimeter if you have one.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Could also be a bad PCM chip.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I had this issue with this game too. One of the V roms was bad. I downloaded it, burned it and replaced it with an EEPROM. Worked flawlessly after that.

traveno

Rugal's Thug
I had this issue with this game too. One of the V roms was bad. I downloaded it, burned it and replaced it with an EEPROM. Worked flawlessly after that.
Yeah I bet that's the issue. How did you go about testing each V rom?

traveno

Rugal's Thug
Thanks to Neo Alec for the idea, I did a little experiment.
Bash:
# linux commands if someone else wants to try this
dd if=/dev/urandom of="200-v1.v1" bs=2M count=1
dd if=/dev/urandom of="200-v2.v2" bs=2M count=1
dd if=/dev/urandom of="200-v4.v4" bs=2M count=1
I created some 2MB files with random data to replace the corresponding V ROMs in Final Burn Alpha. I believe the results are very close to, if not exactly, what is heard in your video.

(rest in peace headphone users)

It's difficult to be 100% sure, because my video is a direct capture and yours is not.

Also, this would imply V1, V2 and V4 are broken and just outputting random data. Odds are, something else could be wrong because all three ROM chips taking a dump seems unlikely. But who knows.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yeah I bet that's the issue. How did you go about testing each V rom?
In my case it was just luck. I planed on replacing one by one the V roms, and it turned the first one I replaced was the issue.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It's unlikely all three of those roms went bad. So assuming that test was valid, I think a visual inspection and checking the traces involved with the V roms is in order.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
What EEPROM did you replace that with? I've wanted to be able to repair my own games and do fixes like the Metal Slug 2 slowdown fix, but I've had a hard time determining what compatible EEPROMs to replace with the PROM chips.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
What EEPROM did you replace that with? I've wanted to be able to repair my own games and do fixes like the Metal Slug 2 slowdown fix, but I've had a hard time determining what compatible EEPROMs to replace with the PROM chips.
It depends on the rom being replaced and the size needed. Here are some general suggestions I noted in the past, but not nearly everything:

16-bit chips:
M27C800 (1 MB)
M27C160 (2 MB)
27C322 (4 MB)

8-bit chips:
27C1000 (131k)
27C010 (131k)
Pins 2 and 24 need to be swapped for the S rom.

For Metal Slug 2 Turbo, the original web site for the hack says you need a M27C800 chip. But don't do it. You'll regret hacking up your cart. Just get a flash cart.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
For Metal Slug 2 Turbo, the original web site for the hack says you need a M27C800 chip. But don't do it. You'll regret hacking up your cart. Just get a flash cart.
Curious as to why? I bought a MS2T MVS cart off someone here with no issues to the cart itself, is it something wrong with the code?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Curious as to why? I bought a MS2T MVS cart off someone here with no issues to the cart itself, is it something wrong with the code?
Was it an original MS2 cart or a bootleg? I'm just saying I regretted modding a real cart when I can just use a flash cart now. Better to just keep real carts in original condition.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Was it an original MS2 cart or a bootleg? I'm just saying I regretted modding a real cart when I can just use a flash cart now. Better to just keep real carts in original condition.
Ah gotcha. I'm pretty sure it was original, but i can see the viewpoint of modifying a real cart.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
It depends on the rom being replaced and the size needed. Here are some general suggestions I noted in the past, but not nearly everything:

16-bit chips:
M27C800 (1 MB)
M27C160 (2 MB)
27C322 (4 MB)

8-bit chips:
27C1000 (131k)
27C010 (131k)
Pins 2 and 24 need to be swapped for the S rom.

Thanks for that handy reference. Also idk why I didn't just think about doing it for my NeoSD...late addition and brain wasn't working

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Hallelujah, I’m getting a refund for this.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, but whatever happens with this cart from here is, thankfully, not my problem.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I refer to it as Metal Slug 2>X version and it is a FIX that saved Metal Slug 2 as being a legitimate release imo..I have no problem discarding the original P1 in favor of the FIX.
One of the greatest achievements of the scene is this FIX!!!
BB

Last edited:

traveno

Rugal's Thug
Hallelujah, I’m getting a refund for this.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, but whatever happens with this cart from here is, thankfully, not my problem.
Yeah if you purchased that cart as fully working, then it should be fully working. Hopefully it finds its way to someone who can repair it.