Turntable advice (which one?)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm planning on picking up a turntable this weekend(it's sole purpose will be to convert records to FLAC). There's a couple of local sellers that have a few different options:

Technic SL-1301
w/ new Ortofon cartridge(exact model not known) --- $180
Technic SL-D3 w/ new Ortofon cartridge(exact model not known) --- $200

I know both Technic's are from the 70's & what they currently go for on ebay. The guy selling them supposedly "refurbishes" them.

The next up is a Vestax PDX2000 ($180 , used cartridge) supposedly "taken care of" and in good condition.

What would you do?

::gives the John Quiñones stare::

[EDIT] I ended up getting a Technics SL 1200 MK2

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Those are both automatic turntables, so I'd say it's a toss-up. Maybe take a look online and see which one is more prone to wear and tear issue? (Personally I'd go with a Technics over Vestax.)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Technics 1200 or 1210's on Shure M44-7's all day.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Technics 1200 or 1210's on Shure M44-7's all day.

Heh, I didn't want to be *that* guy who gives a non-answer, but yeah, 1200 forever. That's triple OP's price range though.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm planning on picking up a turntable this weekend(it's sole purpose will be to convert records to FLAC). There's a couple of local sellers that have a few different options:

Technic SL-1301
w/ new Ortofon cartridge(exact model not known) --- $180
Technic SL-D3 w/ new Ortofon cartridge(exact model not known) --- $200

I know both Technic's are from the 70's & what they currently go for on ebay. The guy selling them supposedly "refurbishes" them.

The next up is a Vestax PDX2000 ($180 , used cartridge) supposedly "taken care of" and in good condition.

What would you do?

::gives the John Quiñones stare::

I could sell you my extra Dual 621 (which is also from the late 70's and fully automatic) if you weren't in the US. But yeah, I'd take a Technics over the other brand for sure.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I see there's Technic 1200 MK2's, 1600 MK2's, and 1700's for sale as well.

If you guys think those would be better for what I'm looking to do, I have no problem picking up one of those instead.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I see there's Technic 1200 MK2's, 1600 MK2's, and 1700's for sale as well.

If you guys think those would be better for what I'm looking to do, I have no problem picking up one of those instead.

A 1200 will last forever, at least my pair have last easily over 20 years.

Check out craigslist, but look for a nice clean example some are beat to shit.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
A 1200 will last forever, at least my pair have last easily over 20 years.

Check out craigslist, but look for a nice clean example some are beat to shit.

This, Alot of 1200's were owned by Wannabe DJ's and used for scratching. That doesn't mean that they still don't work great but I would prefer to buy from someone who used them for playing records. I've owned a pair of these as well and although the motor isn't on par with the Technics, this is also a solid choice. https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...7&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica+turntable+dj

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I ended up calling a local record shop and asked if they sold turntables. The guy who answered said "what kind of turntables?..." I said "a Technics SL 1200"... he then replied "Yeah I have 5 of them for sale. That's all I carry." I ended up picking up a SL 1200 MK2 for $400. Then went to Guitar Center and purchased a SHURE White Label cartridge/stylus for $114.

I have it hooked up to my DDJ-SX right now and did a test play on an old record (Lexy & K-Paul - The Greatest DJ). Sounds pretty good and no weird skipping/wobble.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I ended up calling a local record shop and asked if they sold turntables. The guy who answered said "what kind of turntables?..." I said "a Technics SL 1200"... he then replied "Yeah I have 5 of them for sale. That's all I carry." I ended up picking up a SL 1200 MK2 for $400. Then went to Guitar Center and purchased a SHURE White Label cartridge/stylus for $114.

I have it hooked up to my DDJ-SX right now and did a test play on an old record (Lexy & K-Paul - The Greatest DJ). Sounds pretty good and no weird skipping/wobble.

Very Nice!
Welcome to the SL1200 family.

May it serve you for years and years!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Wow - congrats on the 1200. I'd love to get one one of these days.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Took a bit of tinkering with the DDJ-SX but managed to "rip" the 1st vinyl with this SL 1200 MK2. I tried playing around with 'noise reduction' filters, but didn't like how it made the overall audio sound.... so thus, I did not apply any filters.

This is one my favorite records. They never released it digitally & the label has gone out of business:

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I always need an automatic turntable so I make sure to get a Servo controlled one.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Cyclotron, regarding noise removal, most of it sucks, but if you have Adobe Audition, I recommend using that app's noise removal feature. I use it all the time on talking head interviews that I mic with a boom. For your situation, here's what you'd do.

1. Run the vinyl for about 10 seconds after the song is over and capture the baseline noise created by the needle running on the vinyl.

2. Import the recorded file into Adobe Audition.

3. Select the 10 seconds of dead air and create a sample.

4. Apply the sample against the song and use the live preview to tweak so you're not affecting the actual music's EQ.

5. Poof - the ambient noise is gone and you still have the full sound frequency from the song.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Took a bit of tinkering with the DDJ-SX but managed to "rip" the 1st vinyl with this SL 1200 MK2. I tried playing around with 'noise reduction' filters, but didn't like how it made the overall audio sound.... so thus, I did not apply any filters.

This is one my favorite records. They never released it digitally & the label has gone out of business:

Did you rip the picture disc? I'm about to scoop this off discogs do thanks for doing this.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
does it have to be a Technics?

Neo Ash recommended me a uTurn a few years back, which I really like. In the price range you are mentioning up top, and they are new. Also does 33 1/2 and 45 RPM.

Would get the acrylic platter upgrade, and tone arm auto-return upgrade. https://uturnaudio.com/collections/...3uuJWFuDfj81ps_AENtA1wzHVnf-P6lRoCjHcQAvD_BwE

I also hear project debut carbon is a nice entry level table. They look nice, but I never used one.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
does it have to be a Technics?]

It Doesnt have to be but no other TT manufacturer has a proven record like Technics. It's a No Brainer. Word is still out on all these Newer TT's. Will Newer TT brands stand the test of time and work the same 10 or 15 years down the road still remains to see.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Nothing wrong with buying 10-20 year or older tables. Even a mediocre table from back then is probably better than the entry level plastic shit with subpar audio-technica carts they sell these days.
my table is 40 years old and I wouldn't trade it for a current one.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Seeing the dust on that Metallica record.... what's the best way of cleaning records without causing damage?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Seeing the dust on that Metallica record.... what's the best way of cleaning records without causing damage?

Get this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009LAYSI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also get some nice record cleaning cloths that don't scratch the vinyls and get a record brush as well. Always brush the record off from any dust before dropping the needle. Clean the Needle from time to time as well with a needle brush as that could pick up dust as from inside the grooves.